4.0 out of 5 stars Methinks the last reviewer doth protest too much
Published on 21 Aug. 2011 by M. THORNE

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish.
Published on 29 July 2011 by OldCarliol.

4.0 out of 5 stars Methinks the last reviewer doth protest too much, 21 Aug. 2011
M. THORNE (Colliers Wood, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Some Recent Protest Songs (Audio CD)
The negative review posted here is quite illuminating, but perhaps it might be worth spelling out that, generally speaking, Tories, any supporters of the depressingly large number of Nazi-styled "minority" political parties, toffs, Royalists, enthusiasts for the Countryside Alliance, warmongers and dictators probably aren't going to find Robb Johnson desperately appealing. On the contrary, anyone who feels even remotely concerned about the present malaise of Britain might find at least something on this album that resonates with them.

This collection of songs represents something of a snapshot of life in Britain in 2011. Robb gives his Boris "Bunter" Johnson an airing, "Noddy" Clegg gets a bit of a ticking-off and the serious, thoughtful material is contrasted with the more cabaret-ish jocular songs. "Little Vinnie Jones" has nothing whatsoever to do with Wimbledon FC, or Wimbledon in any respect, for that matter. I like the lyric in this song about wanting to be an artist but finding your ambitions somewhat thwarted by having only Poundland felt tip pens at your disposal! (For me, it was Crayola wax crayons, although that was before they introduced the 156 crayon bumper pack).

5.0 out of 5 stars Another work of genius, 10 Oct. 2011
John D. Andrews "free democrat" (grantham, lincs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Some Recent Protest Songs (Audio CD)
If there's a better singer-songwriter working anywhere in the world today, I don't know about them.

Robb Johnson is a genius - and that's not a word I use lightly. I say it because of the sheer quantity of brilliant songs he produces, songs which are funny, or sad, angry and rebellious or happy and loving.

I've had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Robb, and he comes across as a wonderful, warm person who seems to live the ideals that so clearly drive him to do what he does brilliantly well: inform and inspire through his superb musical abilities.

"No Cuts" is yet another great album, and there's not a duff song anywhere in it. Tracks one and three are seriously funny, five and six are bitterly angry, and twelve and thirteen are upbeat and inspirational. I guess these are my favourite songs on the album; but they are all good, with well-written words and catchy tunes that you find are playing in your head throughout the day, and if you wake up in the night.

I've now collected most of Robb's published music, and I have no hesitation in thoroughly recommending all of his other work too, from "Margaret Thatcher, My Part in Her Downfall" - with the superb "Sunday Morning St. Denis" - which is quite simply one of the best songs ever written - to "Liberty Tree" - the brilliant album he recorded with Leon Rosselson about the life and work of Tom Paine.

Buy this man's music NOW; and if you ever get the chance to see him live, don't miss it. It's not often we get the opportunity to watch a genius at work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robb does it again!!!, 3 Jan. 2012
Jangly Mark "Love is a weakness in the knees.... (I live on a blue planet that I saw in her eyes...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Some Recent Protest Songs (Audio CD)
The style is indie with a big nod to singer/songwriter with the tiniest element of folk-rock...

The songs are *excellent*, funny, melodic, passionate, irreverant...but, NEVER lacking punch...

If you are new to Robb's music, this is a good place to start...then get 'Tony Blair - My Part In His Downfull', 'Margaret Thatcher - My Part In Her Downfall', 'Clockwork Music', and 'The Triumph Of Hope Over Experience'...

If you know Robb's music already, you will absolutely love this album!!!!

Starting with a humour-laden tongue in cheek dig at the ConDems, it continues at it starts...track 3, a humourous mix of spoken/sung song where Nick Clegg meets a destiture creature on his way home from a hard day 'As the a important deputy prime minister - washing and ironing Dave's jogging bottoms'. The wretched, destiture creature turns out to be one of Nick's principles...

Deep Down Underground is a nod to the courage of the Chilean miners and those that rescued them....the twist being that, in the song, it is bankers that get trapped underground...and ordinary people turn up to bring bricks and slabs of concrete.

I could comment on each individual song...but, that would make for a LONG review...simply put, for anyone left of centre into indie, pop, singer songwriter, or just into good quality pop songs and protest songs....this album is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raise the drawbridge!, 21 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Some Recent Protest Songs (Audio CD)
For those of us who believe that the protest song is dead,this album comes as a tonic to some and a warning to others. Speaking as one of the former, I'd like to recommend this album to all who oppose the cuts in public spending and the attacks on the Welfare State. Robb Johnson, to his immense credit, is not intimidated into writing songs about nothing - he writes for the people who have nothing. For young men who find themselves in futile combat, he writes and sings about the "North West Frontier"; celebrates some republican irreverance in "The Man Who Poked Camilla", and gets to the heart of the matter in "Little Vinnie Jones" and "Our Lives, Not Yours". Robb's album is a collection of anthems for those of us, who, like Little Vinnie Jones: "...don't like the rich, don't ask me why". The plutocrats had better start digging moats around their country houses - every one could prove to be a Bastille.

4.0 out of 5 stars better live, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Some Recent Protest Songs (Audio CD)
Robb Johnson is a prolific singer songwriter who is best experienced live than on record..some great tunes here as you would expect though.

4.0 out of 5 stars we need singers and songs like this more than ever, 30 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Some Recent Protest Songs (Audio CD)
Robb Johnson always writes and sings with passion whatever his subject. these are a batch of funny and angry songs which are a perfect accompianment to a time of crisis and fighhtback. marches and strikes and protest music is the proper response to government cuts. this is fine music of wit and intelligence. we need singers and songs like this more than ever...

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish., 29 July 2011
OldCarliol. (Carlisle, Cumbria, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Some Recent Protest Songs (Audio CD)
My sister, god bless her, bought me this because she knows I love folkie singer, songwriters and she also knows that I am fairly politically motivated. What a major mistake. For a start I like English folk music and this guy is distinctly anti-English plus I am right leaning and this chap is virtually communist. Never the less, I can usually accept music for what it is without judgement,that is if it's good, unfortunately this offering is utter garbage. Avoid it like the plague regardless of your political leanings. Utter twaddle.

Some Recent Protest Songs
Some Recent Protest Songs by Robb Johnson (Audio CD - 2011)