5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously dark!
Published on 6 July 2011 by Serendipity Reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring
Published on 11 May 2012 by Raven Stone

5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously dark!, 6 July 2011
This review is from: The Devil Walks (Hardcover)
Oh my, this was a deliciously dark tale. From the beginning, you are quite disturbed by Daniel's mother, who appears to be quite insane. You are desperate for him to be taken out of her care and find yourself wondering a little if she suffers from Munchhausen Syndrome by Proxy. Clearly, she has some issues, if she is raising her son, never to leave his bedroom and keeping him in bed night and day, convincing him that he is ill.

Luckily he is discovered by a neighbour and sent to live with the local doctor providing him with a loving home, which allows him to become stronger and healthy. Wouldn't it be nice, if we could believe that now he would be happy for ever after? Unfortunately, his step uncle Severin offers to take him in and Daniels' life really takes a turn for the worse.

Daniel is a really strong character, who just goes from strength to strength as the book progresses, allowing him to face his fears head on by the climatic scenes at the end of the book.

I am unsure of when this book is set or in which country. I am presuming it was set in Victorian times, due to the mode of transport and other aspects discussed within the book, but I couldn't definitely be sure.

I loved the richness of the prose, leading me in a gloriously Gothic tale. The book feels immensely dark from cover to cover. You get a real sense of Daniel's fear at staying in his uncle's house. His Uncle Severin keeps you on your toes as he carousels between his Jekyll and Hyde persona's. I found myself never quite sure of his intentions until the very end.

I was pleased to be able to forgive Daniel's mother as the book progressed, because I realised her reasons for her actions and knew that in the same circumstances I would do the same. Very clever writing on behalf of the author to show such different perceptions for one character.

This book touches on some very dark practices that I was surprised to find in the book, but loved reading about. Thankfully Daniel reaches out into the darkness to bring light back into the book by the end.

If you are a long term Anne Fine fan, you will know that she is an eclectic writer, so do not expect anything that you have read before. This book takes you strolling down dark and mysterious lanes, before abandoning you in the dark. A must read for all Victorian Gothic fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully eerie!, 18 July 2011
M. B. Smith - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Devil Walks (Hardcover)
The Devil Walks sent shivers down my spine! It is nothing like Anne Fine's other books (for example Charm School and the Granny Project), but is an amazing tale!
As you travel through Daniel's (our young main character) horrific expericences, travelling from his quiet life as an invalid with his mother to arriving at the large and creepy house of his step-uncle Severin (who seems to have a split personality), you become more and more gripped by the mystery which the plot is wrapped in.
Daniel does not instruct you to read his story and weep, in the slightly irritating manner that other unfortunate heroes can take. Instead he admits to his life being strange and accepts it.
An excellant read (as all Anne Fine's are), but be warned not to read it alone after dark!

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 11 May 2012
This review is from: The Devil Walks (Paperback)
Boring and predictable, there is no sense of any real danger for any of the characters. Mainly because everything is so obvious. Tedious in the extreme. The only good thing to say for it is that it is very short and quick to read. No merit whatsoever. Characters are two-dimensional, no depth or anything to generate any interest in them or what happens to them. A waste of the two hours it took to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars creepy, 14 July 2011
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Devil Walks (Hardcover)
The Devil walks is the first Anne Fine I have read in years. I remember her as an author of funny childrens books and was geniunely blown away by how different her latest offering is and how it was certainly not some I would have associated with her.

The devil walks is one of those books that both makes you think and leaves you a little bit unsettled. I liked that the story kept with me for a day or two after I finished it and kept playing on my mind.

At the start of the books you meet Daniel. He is a young boy who has spent his entire life settled away from the rest of the world spending all of his days with his mother who is clearly unhinged. Events progress and Daniel finds himself alone in the world and starts to discover all the things he has never had the chance to experience before (like seeing cows in a field). The only link he has to his past is a dolls house which houses a collection of somewhat creepy dolls.

Later Daniel is moved to live with his 'Uncle' in a house which is an exact replica of the doll house he has spent years playing with and his uncle bears a frightening resemblence to the doll in the collection which is the most disturbing.

What I found most remarkable in this book was the main character daniel and seeing how he deals with this whole new reality he has found himself thrust into in. The way he deals with the challenges tells you a lot about human resilience and adaptablitily.

This book gets more creepy as you go on. Daniel's uncle gets more and more unsettling with his erratic behaviours and towards the end the way he acts is downright frightening. I shan't spoil the plot by giving too much away except to say this is a book you can't afford to miss if you like all that is gothic and creepy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary supernatural thriller, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Devil Walks (Kindle Edition)
Since getting my Kindle, I have read several books aimed at readers younger than myself. Last year, I lapped up 'The Hunger Games' trilogy and I'm not ashamed to say I loved David Walliams' 'Mr Stink'! Today I finished another book for youngsters.

'The Devil Walks' by Anne Fine is a gothic horror novel aimed at older children. The book starts by introducing us to Daniel, who is bed-bound and closely watched over by his mother. We soon learn there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the boy. But why does the mother want him to think there is?

The book takes some twists and turns and is never less than gripping. The story involves an incredibly spooky dolls house and takes a turn for the supernatural about three quarters of the way through. Far-fetched it may be, but it is a thrilling ride and one which youngsters will enjoy to the very end.

Anne Fine writes good descriptive prose but her dialogue here is unconvincing to me in parts. Daniel is only a boy but he speaks with the voice of a mature adult. It doesn't quite ring true. However, this doesn't really spoil the book. It's a fun scary ride, so suspend your disbelief and climb aboard!

5.0 out of 5 stars My review of The Devil Walks, 12 July 2014
This review is from: The Devil Walks (Kindle Edition)
I chose this rating because the story was captivating with loads of unforeseen twists and turns in the story that you would not expect which is what makes the reader engrossed in the story. The way the author has structured the story is crafted like a labour of love as the author describes the doll's house. The author Anne Fine is a true craftsman of the art of writing.

I personally like the story because of its eerie beginning, it is a strange way to start a story which is why it motivated me to read on.
I would recommend this to teenagers.

4.0 out of 5 stars The devil walks, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Devil Walks (Kindle Edition)
this story was captivating and kept me hooked onto the story which is why I rated it a 4/5.I would recommend this book to children/young adults who like a bit of spook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Devil Walks (Kindle Edition)
I read this within a couple of hours and had no breaks because I didn't want to sop reading! Great Book

3.0 out of 5 stars Old Fashioned, 1 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Devil Walks (Kindle Edition)
Set in Victorian/Edwardian England, the story revolves around Daniel who has spent his young life believing he was an invalid, until a Doctor calls one day and rescues him. His mother is committed to an asylum where she later commits suicide. However what has made her the ways she is? Why doesn't Daniel know anything of her life and why does he have a dolls house which is a replica of his mother's childhood home? When an uncle is found to take care of him and he goes to stay with him at High Gates the house of dolls house fame, he has an uneasy feeling that all is not quite right - which proves to be the case. Whilst well written as one would expect from a former Children's Laureate, it's pedestrian in story, old fashioned and not very relevant to today's young person. The saving grace is that short chapters make it quick to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gothic childen's novel, 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Devil Walks (Paperback)
I am a fan of Anne Fine's books for older children and thoroughly enjoyed this one (though I don't qualify as a child of any age). It reminded me of the Leon Garfield books I loved when I was a teenager, full of strange characters and mystery and sinister happenings in Victorian setting.
Loved it.