5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product
I bought this to replace an aging Tomtom One XL V1, and so far been very happy I used it next day for a trip and the planning was so much faster than my old model also love the spoken street names and the advanced lane guidance when on motorways was very helpful, the only gripe I would have if any was that before my first trip I connected it to the PC and had to wait...
Published on 6 Sep 2011 by J. Simpson

2.0 out of 5 stars Jekyll and Hyde
I bought this satnav as an upgrade from my original TomTom 1 version 2. It really is a Jekyll and Hyde device. When it works it is great, really great. The smart routing automatically guided me around a slow horse-box one time, and the traffic alerts are way more accurate than overhead gantry signs or anything you hear on the radio - very impressive. The Google search...
Published on 13 Oct 2011 by R. Bentley

5.0 out of 5 stars Tomtom dont deliver, 15 Jan 2014
Mr. John R. Reeves (UK) - See all my reviews
I've been sent conformation that my lifetime map claim has been accepted but never received the code despite trying to get one

5.0 out of 5 stars Tomtom Go Live 825, 9 Oct 2013
Mr. D. Owen - See all my reviews
The only problem with this navigator is when you get to the continent and none of the towns and cities is pronounced correctly or even understandably. It is better to switch to Geman language, for example, and not get confused with trying to understand what the next town or city is called.by the 'English' voice. Otherwise brilliant!

3.0 out of 5 stars Unhappy with locations of some streets, 8 July 2013
The reason why I only gave it 3 stars is that it is not up to date in location of streets. For example it doesn't recognize WD3 1LJ as a cul de sac in Sandy lodge road

2.0 out of 5 stars Pile of Rubbish, 27 May 2013
Amazon Customer (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this device to replace my Mio Spirit 689 as I was after a sat nav with a decent traffic avoidance system for a daily commute. Having heard about how good TomTom are from various people and on the Web, I was expecting great things. I was, however, sorely disappointed with TomTom which, other than the active traffic, was worse than my Mio in almost every way. The problems include:

- Battery charging notification repeatedly displays when the device is fully charged. Sometimes this happens every minute, sometimes after five minutes, sometimes not at all. Contacted TomTom support who are the most hopeless bunch of half-wits you're ever likely to have to deal with and they told me (in broken English) that it indeed was a 'feature added to the latest application' (by application, I presume they mean the firmware). So, unless you drive around with the device just on battery power, once the device is fully charged you have to keep putting up with the charging notification repeatedly appearing (and by default the display changes to a warning threatening to turn the device off. This can be disabled, as can apparently the screen dimming, which happens just before the battery charging notification). There is a chance I had a faulty unit, but given TomTom's response to me, I'm not so sure.

- The speaker isn't loud enough. I like to listen to metal when I'm driving about and having music on anything but the lowest volume will drowned out directions. My Mio was way louder.

- Numerical roundabout exits are not given onscreen - only as a spoken command, which you may not hear if you're listening to music or may not even be given in time as happened to me in York (admittedly though, that only happened once). You do get an arrow icon indicating the general direction of the exit (eg a circle with an arrow pointing straight up), but this icon may mean the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc exit depending on the roundabout and if two exits are close together, it's a wild guess as to which the icon means. My Mio device not only clearly stated which exit to take, but the icon was actually a decent representation of the roundabout with how many exits it had, clearly showing which one you should be taking all in the same icon.

- By default, the device is set not to warn you with and audible alert when you are speeding, though this can be changed in the settings, however it's not immediately obvious. Go into settings and see that 'alert when going over the speed limit' is already ticked and then wonder why you never get any alerts. What you have to do is press next which then presents you with a screen to pick a sound - which by default, for some reason known only to TomTom, is 'silence'.

- The updater software is naff. It installs in your system tray (next to your clock) and will notify you that there is one update available. However, until you actually connect your device, you have absolutely no way of knowing what the update is (eg 'GPS Quick Fix' updates were released several times a week and not something that seemed to make any difference to my device - I was only interested in new map updates).

- TomTom support are hopeless, but then sadly that goes for a lot of big companies these days who outsource their support to barely literate idiots. I'd actually have a lot more respect for a company that just told me that they aren't interested in hearing from you and if you need support, to get lost (which would be especially appropriate for TomTom) as it would certainly save me a lot of time.

- Finally, the active traffic in the two weeks I used it, didn't work on two mornings. TomTom reckoned this may be a problem with their service provider (Vodafone I believe) - but whoever's to blame, it's just not good enough.

On the upside, the shop from where I purchased it were good enough to swap the device for a Garmin with Digital Traffic which has free traffic for life and works by receiving digital radio signals so shouldn't suffer from the same problems as TomTom's active traffic. Hopefully it will prove to be a good service and my initial test of the device certainly leads me to think it's way ahead of the TomTom.

Update
------

I have to say that my Garmin Nuvi 2548 is way better than this pile of junk and would highly recommend it over the TomTom. The Digital Traffic, while not perfect, is pretty damn good (I'd say better than TomTom's Active Traffic - plus it's never had service interruptions and is free) and my journey time is usually 5-10 minutes faster, which means it usually takes me about 45 minutes in a morning to get to work, rather than nearly an hour.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 21 April 2013
Very good satnav beter then garmin 2595lmt
+ life time full europe maps
+ 1year live services
+ 5" screen
I'm using tomtom from 6 years and my opinion Tomtom is not perfect but still is no 1 will recomend two words Simple Smart Tomtom
now bad points
- in new tomtom go you can't set up your avrege speed
- voice control not perfect and you have to remember comands that function was beter in garmin 2595
wil give 5 star if set up speed will be avelible.
YES Will buy again

4.0 out of 5 stars Good respect to my old xl tom tom, 4 April 2013
This review is from: TomTom GO LIVE 820 4.3" Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 Countries) (Electronics)
Good product but sometimes loses the gps signal and wont work for ages. So I five it 4 stars for this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says it does., 25 Mar 2013
It does the job -- directions are clear, live traffic updates can be very handy. Only quibbles are that sometimes the screen doesn't seem very responsive and occassionally (I suspect this has to with reception problems) the live update won't engage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price a Must Have TOMTOM THE BEST, 14 Mar 2013
Mr. W. D. Ritcher "willrage" (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This is buy far the best TOMTOM I have even bought but sadly my wife took it off me
and has been using it ever sins

5.0 out of 5 stars good item, 7 Mar 2013
this item is really good. have used it several times now for long trips, and it really shows the road and speaks to you when coming signs come up etc.,

1.0 out of 5 stars Tom Tom go nowhere live, 20 Feb 2013
Kev (London UK) - See all my reviews
Do not waste your money on this piece of rubbish.
Never had so much grief from a product.
It can not deal with traffic, so it crashes at the slightest sign of a hold up, leaving you stranded until the sercice comes back when the roads have cleared. I have done more factory resets thah I care to mention, and it has been sent back for `fixing` as well.
When it does work it shows a generic traffic state for the time of day that bears no relation to what you can see out of your windows.I do not normally leave reviews but this product has driven me mad (since August 2012) and i have gone back to listening to radio traffic updates,
I suggest that you do the same and save yourself the money.

Mr unhappy