5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations!
This is my second TomTom, my first was a GO700 which is still going well after 8 years. I changed because I fancied a large screen and the new features. I deleted my old TomTom Home2 site on my computer completely and installed the new one for the Start called 'MyTomTom' which is a free download on the TomTom main site page 'Getting Started'. I would advise you to do the...
Published on 16 Oct 2012 by Russell

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good points but also major weaknesses
This is my 3rd TomTom and I've beeen very happy with the previous models. I mainly bought it for the free European map updates as they are very expensive to buy. Apart from the free map updates its good points are the large clear screen and clear spoken directions including street names. The bad poins are:
- Long boot-up time, about 60 seconds
- Ridiculously...
Published 9 months ago by PeterRH

‹ Previous | 1 2 354 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly worried, 21 Jun 2012
Ant (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: TomTom Start 25 UK (Electronics)
I needed a new Satnav as my old one was very ancient, a bit battered and I hadn't updated the maps for seven years! It was a basic Tom Tom One but I liked it very much, especially the ability to re-route if you encounter a hold up. I asked for a new one for my birthday and got this, and was somewhat worried about it on reading the Amazon reviews - would it get a GPS signal, would it charge, would it still have the software that allowed re-routing? Well, so far I'm very satisfied as it does all of those things, plus I now have up-to-date maps and a nice non-chunky wide-screen satnav.

Other positives after a two-week trial: the lane advice is nice; I like the spoken directions telling you the name/no of the road you are joining and the direction of travel; it fits nicely onto the windscreen without leaving much of a mark, and it beeps at you when a "safety" camera is near. Not 5 stars because there is a bit of meanness evident by Tom Tom not including a case, but I bought a nice pencil-case from W H Smith that fits it for about three quid!

Slight confusion around Tom Tom Home v My Tom Tom (its the latter you have to use). Make sure you do the mandatory software update before you use it. My car is a Seat Leon - don't know if that's important.

So far, so pleased. Will update if things change...

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely little SatNav, 14 Oct 2014
M. G. Moyes "MM" (UK) - See all my reviews
I read all sorts of woes about this model but its great:

* Very quick to start up
* Quick to find satellites
* I like the new Motorway lane guidance
* The mounting is superb
* It is thin and light enough to go into my pocket
* Updating the maps is easy although, inevitably, a 3GB download takes a while: 2 1/2 hours in my case

The only issue I had was that it wouldn't connect via MyDrive. I phoned TomTom and they could not have been more helpful - apparently I had to de-register my old TomTom Go 700 before the new one would connect.
As many others have noted, phoning is much better than the website support which I found largely incomprehensible !

1.0 out of 5 stars awful satnav, 4 Sep 2011
J. Evans - See all my reviews
Takes up to 9 minutes to find a satellite, in europe kept swapping from motorway to minor roads, speed calibration was 15mph out, sometimes just will not find a satellite. Dreadful. Drove back from france using a map as it did not work all the way home. Going back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful TomTom Product & Amazon Service, 30 Jun 2012
This review is from: TomTom Start 25 UK (Electronics)
I initially purchased this sat nav some 2 months ago. From day 1 it didn't locate satellites satisfactorily.

At the start it wouldn't pick up satellites at all, so I went to TomTom's website, and downloaded the software patch suggested. This improved the situation for a while, but after a few weeks the sat nav was taking an average of 10 to 15 mins before it located its position.

Amazon agreed to replace the machine, but only after some persuasion, insisting initially that it was TomTom's responsibility to sort this out, which simply is incorrect under UK consumer law

To cut a long story short, the 2nd sat nav was exactly the same. I checked with TomTom's website which confirmed that its software was the most up to date version (ie in theory the previous software problem has been solved). After a very long phone call Amazon took this machine back, and refunded my money, again only after I pointed out they had the responsibility to sort this out not TomTom

I have since purchased a Garmin nuvi 2545 LM (not from Amazon, I should add), for around the same price. It has more or less the same facilities as the TomTom version, and actually works, locating satellites within a maximum of 15 seconds.

From my experience, and from the numerous other negative reviews of this sat nav, it's clear that there is a problem with a large percentage of TomTom sat navs, and that the software patch provided doesn't always soft the problem out. Until TomTom sort this out (ideally by recalling all of the machines involved), then I would strongly advise people not to buy TomTom.

I also feel that Amazon's customer service has been poor, to say the least, only accepting that they had a responsibility to handle this after very long phones calls, and me quoting their legal position.

5.0 out of 5 stars tom tom start 25 uk satellite navigation system, 13 Oct 2011
S. D. Ellis "tractor" (britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TomTom Start 25 UK (Electronics)
Good product for the beginner in the world of sat navs. Easy to use and to fit to your vehicle which helps take the stress of motoring. Once you begin your journey, it feels like you have auto pilot just like an airliner.

1.0 out of 5 stars How can a company make progressively worse products, 14 Jun 2012
This is my 3rd TomTom - my 1st was OK apart from occasional misdirections - my 2nd was worse in that regard and caused me more problems when trying to update the maps - I decided to buy a newer model rather than carry on with the updating problems but this newer one is TERRIBLE for a number of reasons;
1) It still suffers from misdirections
2) Despite being a new model the maps are still out of date (even after updating on line), as long standing road layouts are still dealt with incorrectly.
3) It announces instructions far earlier than appropriate, so unless you're looking at the screen as well as listening to it, it causes you to take a wrong turn.
4) The screen is bigger and the numbers are removed from the main screen, so the bigger buttons are easier to operate BUT its a real pain switching between the letters and numbers screens to enter postcodes, when compared to the earlier model, which has a single combined alpha/numerical screen.
5) Unless I'm doing something wrong with the charging, the battery in this one lasts no time at all, compared to the earlier versions.

You'd think after all these years of manufacturing these devices, that TomTom would have got it right by now - VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!!

I'm so unhappy with the new one that I've gone back to using the older version and will either be returning this or selling it off and purchasing another brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars TomTom selling goods that don't work, 30 April 2012
TomTom product (Start 25)doesn't work. There's no warning with the product that it doesn't work, yet when you switch it on (following all the start up instructions carefully) and leaving plenty of time for it to collect satellite signals, it can't find a GPS position. On visiting the Tom Tom website this is one of their numerous products which need a 'mandatory GPS update' before it will work.

Then, after having been instructed by the device that I should contact Tom Tom support they tell me that this device is 'not compatible with Windows 7 64 bit operating system' - well that's really handy because that's the operating system I have - so what do I do now? I am still waiting to hear from Tom Tom.

Very upset by this poor product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but does not connect to tomtom Home Services, 7 Dec 2013
Nice size and very clear screen with easy mounting to screen or disc on dashboard (needs purchasing).Pleased with it but with a big BUT. I used a tomtom One before purchasing this and the One connected super quick to tomtom Home and its services meaning it was easy to back up and install points of interest etc. The new tomtom uses MyDrive which I have to say I have not liked and do not find it intuitive. The tomtom Start 25 came with West European maps and little did I realise how long updates would take. First one took 1.5 hours. Oh, and by the way it comes with speed cameras installed but you will be immediately asked for the annual subscription which obviously isn't included in the purchase price. All that aside it works well and is proving useful but I may have chosen another version given a second chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good Sat Nav once you've loaded the maps!, 26 Aug 2011
This is my first Sat Nav, and I've only used it for one day's fairly local driving, but I am already impressed with its features and performance.

BUT ... downloading the latest maps was a nightmare. They give you one Free download of the latest maps. Luckily I had read other reviews which told me to use the MyTomTom and NOT TomTomHome website. Even then, I wished that I had stuck with the maps already installed. However, the software updates seemed to improve some of the features. I spent a whole afternoon and evening fighting the system, and overran my 10 GB monthly broadband limit. I wish that TomTom allowed you to select individual countries, and not the whole of Europe every time. UK + France is all I need just now. At one stage, it almost finished loading the maps and said ERROR. I now had NO maps installed, and it took some persuading to let me do it again without paying for an update. The instructions for resetting the Start25 were wrong, and obviouslly apply to another model which allows you to remove its casing. On the Start25, just hold the on/off button down for about 15-20 seconds. This was the documented procedure for a different model!

In use, it gave clear instructions, and I was very impressed with its speed of re-routing when I chose to go a different way. Usually within about 25 yards, with no nagging voice telling me I had gone wrong! The touch screen is easy to use, and the safety (speed!) camera warnings excellent. However, I must select some less intrusive warning alarms!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good first TomTom, 7 April 2013
This is my first TomTom and I was impressed. It was easy to use and navigate. I used it mainly on a trip around South West of England and in general it navigated me well. I did find that it tried to go down some very narrow country lanes but I ignored the TomTom and stuck to the main roads until it found a new route. I've also used it abroad. One irritation is that less than a year later, it is suggesting the maps are out of date and it costs to download more up to date maps.

‹ Previous | 1 2 354 | Next ›