5.0 out of 5 stars Has my 9 year old totally engrossed
I've never got into strategy games but I bought this for my nine year old son who's friend had it. He is totally engrossed with it and it is making him think a bit about how the world works.

Published 15 months ago by Mr. S. Banks

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip off
Published 7 months ago by Mr. Dominic F. Brittain

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip off, 31 Dec 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Civilization V - Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Most disappointing game,not only the fact that despite the price asked it is also essential to have an internet account in order to play the game at all but also the content of the game.All the fun of the previous incarnations of the game has been taken away.The worst innovation is the people satisfaction element,impossible to expand the empire[thereby securing vital resources]and keep the people at home happy.The gods and kings expansion pack takes us back to the mists of the Neolithic era but never seems to catch up to date.Defending a city is almost impossible as only one unit is permitted.Maybe I`m not very good at the game but given the amount of time it takes and the fines I received from my internet provider for overrunning my monthly allowance I don`t care as I will never play it again

2.0 out of 5 stars BRUTALLY UNCIVILIZED, 8 Jan 2013
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
The working relationship between a game designer and his publisher is never a simple one. So I would not know where exactly to place the blame, Sid Meyer or 2K GAMES. But in the end, it does not matter. Because it is simply sad to see a great gaming franchise came to this.

THIS IS NOT A CIVILIZATION GAME
A great number of major features of this beloved series have been simply removed. A fellow gamer called this Civilization V, "Civilization For Dummies" and he is absolutely right.
There is no trading maps or technologies. There is no claiming resources outside your borders by building a colony. There is no need for transport ships as, apparently, units are now all..amphibious (and they need 15-20 turns to cross an ocean!). There are no city-growth milestone requirements (granary, aqueduct, refrigeration). There is no culturally conquering an enemy city (detonating a "culture bomb" by consuming a Great Artist will only get you extra territory tiles but no cities). There are no spies nor health/pollution balance. And there are no armies (please read on).

ARMY CASTRATION
Someone please tell me what was so wrong with armies that had to be yanked out? Napoleon almost conquered Europe with one army. Germany almost conquered the eastern hemisphere with three and the US still holds a two-and-a-half armies doctrine. How can a turn-based game be called Civilization unless one can emulate, well, a real civilization? Building an army, seasoning it on minor conflicts and then going for the enemy's capital was one of the most fun parts of any Civilization game. Why, Sid? Just tell me that.

YOU MAY BE ABLE TO LAUNCH INTO SPACE - YET CANNOT CLIMB MOUNTAINS?!
Movement should be hindered by rough terrain. Units that have 3 or 4 moves on the plains should not be expected to do more than 1 or 2 on a mountain, right? Well, no. Mountains seem to be those magical places no unit can climb or pass through (not even ...helicopters of jet fighters!). And I cannot see how this makes for more complicated strategic decisions than timing your movements, claiming the high ground and having a bonus for elevated artillery?

UNIT STAMPEDE
A major issue for me, this was what really ruined the game. For some unfathomable reason units cannot be stacked. A worker can coexist with a military unit but that's it. Artillery and shock-cavalry are very vulnerable to attacks and (with the new hexagon layout) one would need ...six defensive units to protect a single artillery battery.
As a result, units keep getting on each other's way (especially when ordered to move for distances that require more than a turn), they refuse to even pass through friendly units (!) and the "tactical" considerations that result from this are trivial. And whenever besieging an enemy city, one has to endlessly maneuver his units around it (while exposed to its bombardment) whereas wounded units are never easy to withdraw.
You cannot even garrison more than a single unit within a city. Not that it would make a difference, since the garrisoned unit is not automatically awaken to fight back when the city is under attack(!), the city is left to defend itself.

CAN YOU REALLY COMMAND WITHOUT A...CENTRAL COMMAND?
The economy is nose-diving into the red and you want to reduce the percentage going into research for a while to avoid having units of yours deleted one by one? The fickle people of your civilization are unhappy and you want to placate them by increasing their entertainment allocation? You have discovered conscription and you want to upgrade all your musketeers into recruits? Well, tough luck! There is not central command screen to do so. Only advisers that you have to thank for annoying you.
You have very little control of your cities resource distribution and zero control of your national economy. And units have to be hunted down and upgraded one by one.
Speaking of the economy, when are we going to see a Civilization game where one can run and manage a national debt?

NO FREE EYE-CANDY IN THIS UNIVERSE. NOT EVEN A STALE ONE.
The game does look new and polished and the units are well designed but not cutting edge and not without a steep hardware price. If you expect anything comparable to STARCRAFT II crispiness you will be disappointed - at my 1280x1024 resolution it is not easy to discern roads from railroads.
The system I am running my copy consists of a P7 920 on a MSI Eclipse with 3GB of RAM and an ASUS nVIDIA GTX-480. Even with a couple years old PC in a WinXP environment (I refuse to forgo my game collection for the latest Windows OS), apparently I cannot even try the highest DX9 settings (the game crashes at launch) but I managed to optimize them with a mix of high and medium. Even then, whenever I scroll to a different location of the map, I can see the image fleshing out, just like zooming in a Google-Earth map.
So one can only wonder: why should one need a Cray to run a Civilization game at full?

A CIVILIZATION SOLD LIKE A SALAMI
In slices. DLC slices, that is. So far there have been over a dozen DLCs (of which only 9 are included in this GOTY edition). All are sold separately and each one contains a small portion of what was supposed to be an essential part of the game. Were there any Civilization games in the past that did not include the Babylonians or the Persians? No. And when was the last time a Civilization game cost over $150 to be complete? Well, never.

STEAM OF WAR
The game requires OnLine Activation (and perpetual reactivation every few days) and has to be tied to a STEAM account. Effectively this means that the game is a piece of rentware the buyer never really owns and yet it is sold at full price. I realize that to some people this may not be a serious issue so, in case you are wondering, I deducted a single star from my overall rating of the game because of its DRM scheme. To every other gamer however, you can now make an informed decision.

This was a major disappointment. I never though I'd say this but I while playing the latest Civilization game I caught myself wondering if they would ever make...Call To Power III.

New gamers, steer clear of this mess, this is not what a Civilization game plays like.
Seasoned gamers, we know better than to call this a Civilization game.

Sorry Sid, EPIC FAIL.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick with Civ IV, 9 Jan 2014
Mr. M. Hatherell "Mark Hatherell" (Vauxhall, London, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I love the Civilization series but had kept away from Civ V after some of the reviews that I had read about it. As the price had dropped recently I thought I'd give it ago. After the initial loading period, which seemed overlong,the programme went into an automatic update sequence which required it to use the Steam servers at the end of which I got an error mesage stating the the Steam severs weren't available! I have attempted to log on regularly for the last 8 hours without success. I suppose that's one way to protect your game from pirates - don't let anyone play it! If you like Civ then look no further than Civ IV, if you are new to the Civ games then start with Civ IV and leave this piece of junk alone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Has my 9 year old totally engrossed, 19 May 2013
Mr. S. Banks (London) - See all my reviews

I didn't find Steam a hassle to set up. The game takes a while to load each time on our i3 laptop but runs fine; on our i5 desktop with solid state HDD the load-up time is around a minute.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., 22 Mar 2014
Unable to play the game after a whole hour installing, registering and comfirming and reconfirming checks!! No reply to any emails from support team! Completely disappointing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, once you are in it, 27 Jun 2014
Amazing graphics - although the DirectX 10 & 11 setting produced a glitch (DirectX 9 works fine).

Wading through the Steam account every time to load the game is a royal pain in the rear end (and nothing about that on the website)

Game play seems slow compared to previous versions of Civ (but some of that is me learning the new systems).

Big "thumbs up" for the game; slightly marred by the corporate bits (on install and every game session), otherwise it would be a 5-star product

3.0 out of 5 stars The vanilla model has some bugs which make it so tedious it's all but unplayable, 27 July 2014
It got 3 stars, but only because I bought the Gods & Kings upgrade as well. The vanilla model has some bugs which make it so tedious it's all but unplayable, but with the upgrade it's quite a good game. You have to install through STEAM, which is horrible, but once you get over that it's OK.

4.0 out of 5 stars ok, 1 Jun 2014
E. S. Hunter "emsy" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
its ok but it cant beat civilization 4, which i cant play on windows 7 which i not happy about.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why Have they ruined this game !!!, 11 Mar 2014
As an avid Civilisation player through all of their editions, this is the first one I wished I had my money back!

One of the very best bits of the game (stacking armies) has been removed and now it's just become an also ran game. The conflict side linked to the economic costs were one of the best features.I've basically forgotten this version and gone back to Civ IV. A real shame as my hopes where so high.

Next time I'll check out the features before buying and if no better then there is a gap for my business in this market because I won't be buying another!

Get a grip developers!

3.0 out of 5 stars Civ V, 15 April 2014
M. Gravell (UK) - See all my reviews
Very slow to play each round. Would be good if your turn to enter moves came around faster.. Very dissapointing extension to the Civ series. I've dumped it.

Civilization V - Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD)
Civilization V - Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD) by Take 2 Interactive (Windows Vista / XP)
8.15