5.0 out of 5 stars Has my 9 year old totally engrossed
I've never got into strategy games but I bought this for my nine year old son who's friend had it. He is totally engrossed with it and it is making him think a bit about how the world works.

Published 14 months ago by Mr. S. Banks

2.0 out of 5 stars BRUTALLY UNCIVILIZED
The working relationship between a game designer and his publisher is never a simple one. So I would not know where exactly to place the blame, Sid Meyer or 2K GAMES. But in the end, it does not matter. Because it is simply sad to see a great gaming franchise came to this.

THIS IS NOT A CIVILIZATION GAME
A great number of major features of this beloved...
Published 18 months ago by NeuroSplicer

2.0 out of 5 stars BRUTALLY UNCIVILIZED, 8 Jan 2013
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Civilization V - Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)

THIS IS NOT A CIVILIZATION GAME
A great number of major features of this beloved series have been simply removed. A fellow gamer called this Civilization V, "Civilization For Dummies" and he is absolutely right.
There is no trading maps or technologies. There is no claiming resources outside your borders by building a colony. There is no need for transport ships as, apparently, units are now all..amphibious (and they need 15-20 turns to cross an ocean!). There are no city-growth milestone requirements (granary, aqueduct, refrigeration). There is no culturally conquering an enemy city (detonating a "culture bomb" by consuming a Great Artist will only get you extra territory tiles but no cities). There are no spies nor health/pollution balance. And there are no armies (please read on).

ARMY CASTRATION
Someone please tell me what was so wrong with armies that had to be yanked out? Napoleon almost conquered Europe with one army. Germany almost conquered the eastern hemisphere with three and the US still holds a two-and-a-half armies doctrine. How can a turn-based game be called Civilization unless one can emulate, well, a real civilization? Building an army, seasoning it on minor conflicts and then going for the enemy's capital was one of the most fun parts of any Civilization game. Why, Sid? Just tell me that.

YOU MAY BE ABLE TO LAUNCH INTO SPACE - YET CANNOT CLIMB MOUNTAINS?!
Movement should be hindered by rough terrain. Units that have 3 or 4 moves on the plains should not be expected to do more than 1 or 2 on a mountain, right? Well, no. Mountains seem to be those magical places no unit can climb or pass through (not even ...helicopters of jet fighters!). And I cannot see how this makes for more complicated strategic decisions than timing your movements, claiming the high ground and having a bonus for elevated artillery?

UNIT STAMPEDE
A major issue for me, this was what really ruined the game. For some unfathomable reason units cannot be stacked. A worker can coexist with a military unit but that's it. Artillery and shock-cavalry are very vulnerable to attacks and (with the new hexagon layout) one would need ...six defensive units to protect a single artillery battery.
As a result, units keep getting on each other's way (especially when ordered to move for distances that require more than a turn), they refuse to even pass through friendly units (!) and the "tactical" considerations that result from this are trivial. And whenever besieging an enemy city, one has to endlessly maneuver his units around it (while exposed to its bombardment) whereas wounded units are never easy to withdraw.
You cannot even garrison more than a single unit within a city. Not that it would make a difference, since the garrisoned unit is not automatically awaken to fight back when the city is under attack(!), the city is left to defend itself.

CAN YOU REALLY COMMAND WITHOUT A...CENTRAL COMMAND?
The economy is nose-diving into the red and you want to reduce the percentage going into research for a while to avoid having units of yours deleted one by one? The fickle people of your civilization are unhappy and you want to placate them by increasing their entertainment allocation? You have discovered conscription and you want to upgrade all your musketeers into recruits? Well, tough luck! There is not central command screen to do so. Only advisers that you have to thank for annoying you.
You have very little control of your cities resource distribution and zero control of your national economy. And units have to be hunted down and upgraded one by one.
Speaking of the economy, when are we going to see a Civilization game where one can run and manage a national debt?

NO FREE EYE-CANDY IN THIS UNIVERSE. NOT EVEN A STALE ONE.
The game does look new and polished and the units are well designed but not cutting edge and not without a steep hardware price. If you expect anything comparable to STARCRAFT II crispiness you will be disappointed - at my 1280x1024 resolution it is not easy to discern roads from railroads.
The system I am running my copy consists of a P7 920 on a MSI Eclipse with 3GB of RAM and an ASUS nVIDIA GTX-480. Even with a couple years old PC in a WinXP environment (I refuse to forgo my game collection for the latest Windows OS), apparently I cannot even try the highest DX9 settings (the game crashes at launch) but I managed to optimize them with a mix of high and medium. Even then, whenever I scroll to a different location of the map, I can see the image fleshing out, just like zooming in a Google-Earth map.
So one can only wonder: why should one need a Cray to run a Civilization game at full?

A CIVILIZATION SOLD LIKE A SALAMI
In slices. DLC slices, that is. So far there have been over a dozen DLCs (of which only 9 are included in this GOTY edition). All are sold separately and each one contains a small portion of what was supposed to be an essential part of the game. Were there any Civilization games in the past that did not include the Babylonians or the Persians? No. And when was the last time a Civilization game cost over $150 to be complete? Well, never.

STEAM OF WAR
The game requires OnLine Activation (and perpetual reactivation every few days) and has to be tied to a STEAM account. Effectively this means that the game is a piece of rentware the buyer never really owns and yet it is sold at full price. I realize that to some people this may not be a serious issue so, in case you are wondering, I deducted a single star from my overall rating of the game because of its DRM scheme. To every other gamer however, you can now make an informed decision.

This was a major disappointment. I never though I'd say this but I while playing the latest Civilization game I caught myself wondering if they would ever make...Call To Power III.

New gamers, steer clear of this mess, this is not what a Civilization game plays like.
Seasoned gamers, we know better than to call this a Civilization game.

Sorry Sid, EPIC FAIL.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has my 9 year old totally engrossed, 19 May 2013
Mr. S. Banks (London) - See all my reviews

I didn't find Steam a hassle to set up. The game takes a while to load each time on our i3 laptop but runs fine; on our i5 desktop with solid state HDD the load-up time is around a minute.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip off, 31 Dec 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Most disappointing game,not only the fact that despite the price asked it is also essential to have an internet account in order to play the game at all but also the content of the game.All the fun of the previous incarnations of the game has been taken away.The worst innovation is the people satisfaction element,impossible to expand the empire[thereby securing vital resources]and keep the people at home happy.The gods and kings expansion pack takes us back to the mists of the Neolithic era but never seems to catch up to date.Defending a city is almost impossible as only one unit is permitted.Maybe I`m not very good at the game but given the amount of time it takes and the fines I received from my internet provider for overrunning my monthly allowance I don`t care as I will never play it again

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick with Civ IV, 9 Jan 2014
Mr. M. Hatherell "Mark Hatherell" (Vauxhall, London, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I love the Civilization series but had kept away from Civ V after some of the reviews that I had read about it. As the price had dropped recently I thought I'd give it ago. After the initial loading period, which seemed overlong,the programme went into an automatic update sequence which required it to use the Steam servers at the end of which I got an error mesage stating the the Steam severs weren't available! I have attempted to log on regularly for the last 8 hours without success. I suppose that's one way to protect your game from pirates - don't let anyone play it! If you like Civ then look no further than Civ IV, if you are new to the Civ games then start with Civ IV and leave this piece of junk alone!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., 22 Mar 2014
Unable to play the game after a whole hour installing, registering and comfirming and reconfirming checks!! No reply to any emails from support team! Completely disappointing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dangerously Addictive, 13 Oct 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Don't get me wrong, this game is simply magnificent. However, DO NOT BUY IT if you have a busy lifestyle. Civilisation V will take over your life completely because once you start playing it at say... 5pm, you'll stay there until the small hours - no joke, this has happened to me twice. Graphically, Civilisation V is fantastic, the soundtrack is awesome and of course the gameplay is great too. I especially like the fact that you can win in many different ways. You don't have to kill everyone in order to win. Another good thing is that there isn't simply Easy, Medium and Hard - if I remember correctly, there's at least 6 difficulties. So you would find this game challenging if you were a seasoned 'pro' gamer or a 4 year old. One issue I had was that you can't do anything with mountains - they simply get in your way. Surely you should be able to build tunnels or blow them up? Having said that, the game should have a few twists and I suppose people should learn how to work their way around them.

Now for the technical jargon... you'll need a half decent computer to run it. I have a i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5Ghz using a H80i, 8GB of memory @ 1866Mhz, an AMD Radeon HD 7950 and a Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD. I had no trouble at all running this game at maximum settings and my lowest fps was 62. I doubt it'll play very well on a 5 year old Celeron with an ATI 5450. So, make sure you can run it because I've seen a lot of idiots giving the game one star because it is slow or makes their computer crash. And whilst I'm on the topic of bad reviews, don't give it 1 star if the delivery never arrives.

Ah, I've gone off on a tangent... anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I give the game 4 stars because it is extremely addictive and, to me, this is a bad thing because it will take up a huge amount of your time which could be better spent studying or with your family. I fully recommend it if you're a fan of turn based strategy, RTS or even board games. PC Gamer gave Civilisation V 93% for a reason... buy it to find out why.

1.0 out of 5 stars Keepe crashing my computer, 4 Oct 2013
I have played the previous versions of this game many times and have enjoyed it. However this new version keeps crashing my computer. Nothing wrong with the computer, its the game. I checked on line and there are loads of similar stories. Do not buy this game.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not in the box!, 25 Sep 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This product is misrepresented on the Amazon website, it should clearly state that you must sign-up for a Steam account to install the software. At 18 for the box plus an entire month's worth of 4.5GB of bandwidth it's not what was offered in the product description. If I wanted to buy a download from Steam I would have gone to their website. I don't agree with their terms and conditions and don't want to tie up my broadband for an entire day while the real software downloads and installs.

This is the worst product I have ever bought on-line. Don't buy it. Amazon, I'm disappointed with you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why the bad reviews?, 27 Nov 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ok, so I read the reviews for this, good and bad, and came to the conclusion that the only reason people are giving the game bad press is because of STEAM. Ok, I will admit that there should be an option on the disk to either use STEAM client or have nasty DRM installed instead... where you have to keep using the disk all the time to play it. Personally, I don't mind STEAM all that much, it's easy to use, provides lots of special offers on games and expansion packs and you can play the game without the hassle of using a disk everytime you want to play it. For what it's worth, I actually bought the game off STEAM aswell as the gods and kings expansion pack. Have had no problems with it this far.

So, with regards to steam, yeah, it would be nice if it was optional as opposed to mandatory, but otherwise, theres nothing wrong with steam. It even has benefits.

Enough of steam anyway, I see people ranting about steam all the time and it just gets boring after a while.

Review of the GAME: (not steam)
I had read that Civilization 4 was better, and not having played civilization before I didn't know what to expect. However, I thought, I'll try CIV 5 anyway and hope for the best. I'm glad I did. Usually my game of choice is total war. But this is a refreshing change, with lots to do and keep you occupied for hours, or in my case days at a time (tis very very addictive and hard to walk away from, especially once you get right into the main game).

The graphics and performance of this game is also very good, the game flows very well on full settings and although I feel the trees could have had a bit more detail to them, graphics are great.

If you are a newcomer to civilization like me, then this game is a treat and worth every penny, you can choose from 10 difficulty settings, LOTS of civilizations (I recommend the gods & kings expansion) and you can play the game at your own pace. The AI is not brilliant, but, it's not bad either.

Overall....
Easy to get into
lots of options to choose from
good graphics
nice music
performs well on full settings
stupidly addictive - be prepared to make excuses to skip work for a day or too

and for those of you who don't mind steam or who are unfamiliar with it.....
you don't need to keep using your disk - once installed - you can play it any time on any computer without the disk.
game automatically updates and patches
expansion packs available.

Best game I have bought in a long time other than total war games.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why Have they ruined this game !!!, 11 Mar 2014
As an avid Civilisation player through all of their editions, this is the first one I wished I had my money back!

One of the very best bits of the game (stacking armies) has been removed and now it's just become an also ran game. The conflict side linked to the economic costs were one of the best features.I've basically forgotten this version and gone back to Civ IV. A real shame as my hopes where so high.

Next time I'll check out the features before buying and if no better then there is a gap for my business in this market because I won't be buying another!

Get a grip developers!

Civilization V - Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD)
Civilization V - Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD) by Take 2 Interactive (Windows Vista / XP)
8.18