I dont think the game deserves anything less than 4 just because it is lacking in some areas where it's predecessors perhaps were not. It's still a great game.

Published 6 months ago by Mr. Warren A. Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars A great game spoilt
Published 3 months ago by mikec

4.0 out of 5 stars It's still a great game. The main issues are that you are ..., 29 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Civilization V - Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)

The main issues are that you are heavily punished for expansion. This would be fine but the AI seems to just plonk cities all over the shop meaning they are seemingly unpunished. I know that this is perhaps because i'm playing it on 7/9 difficulty a few times having beat it on all the others so far but meh! It's a long game and to lose after 20 hours is frustrating.

I'd prefer if difficulty didnt make it hard for you and easy for the AI but made the AI smarter. To me it seems that playing on 6/9 offers the best balance between a game that you could still lose but is not so unfair that you are destined to lose. The higher the difficulty the AI start further ahead of you basically meaning they get science, military, religious etc advantage first. This wouldnt be so bad if it didnt mean it's inevitable that the AI manages to establish World Congress first giving them a massive advantage for diplomatic victory. Then they have all the resources ahead of you to get so many city states on their side that they win through becoming world leader and it's tough and a matter of luck to win before this happens. This has been the case all the times i have played on 7/9 difficulty. I had 3 spaceship parts built and lost in 1967 or so due to this the last time and it was impossible for me to stop it.

Also diplomacy is worse than ever it seems. If you want something from them they want you to provide the most unfair deal ever but offer only fair deals to you, meaning you pretty much ignore talking to them mostly yourself and just await them making suitable offers to you. Apart from surplus luxuries for surplus luxuries which is the only fair deal you can get it seems. Also you can do everything in your power to be good friends with a civ only for them to decide to invade you randomly if they see you as at all a threat. I know you can do this too, but it seems pointless to try and befriend them mostly, the benefits are too difficult to make it worthwhile.

The city states are a good idea but ... they play such a massive part that its too much. I'm hoping 6 takes all the best bits and merges them into one as well as making the AI better, and diplomacy better etc.

And bring back throne rooms! Was a nice addition that made you feel good when it improved! :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Has my 9 year old totally engrossed, 19 May 2013
Mr. S. Banks (London) - See all my reviews
I've never got into strategy games but I bought this for my nine year old son who's friend had it. He is totally engrossed with it and it is making him think a bit about how the world works.

I didn't find Steam a hassle to set up. The game takes a while to load each time on our i3 laptop but runs fine; on our i5 desktop with solid state HDD the load-up time is around a minute.

2.0 out of 5 stars A great game spoilt, 20 Feb. 2015
You buy the game, but you have to download the actual game via an online organisation called "Steam" which, depending on your ADSL speed can take from 1 hour to 6 hours. Not only that, but you have to subscribe to Steam (free) for it to work, as it won't if you're not online. Seems to be a very backward step for what could have been a great strategy game. Why even provide a DVD? Surely they could have loaded the entire game onto the DVD and kept everyone happy. The steam download also seems to monitor other activity on your laptop/pc. So it won't be on my machine for very long.

2.0 out of 5 stars BRUTALLY UNCIVILIZED, 8 Jan. 2013
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
The working relationship between a game designer and his publisher is never a simple one. So I would not know where exactly to place the blame, Sid Meyer or 2K GAMES. But in the end, it does not matter. Because it is simply sad to see a great gaming franchise came to this.

THIS IS NOT A CIVILIZATION GAME
A great number of major features of this beloved series have been simply removed. A fellow gamer called this Civilization V, "Civilization For Dummies" and he is absolutely right.
There is no trading maps or technologies. There is no claiming resources outside your borders by building a colony. There is no need for transport ships as, apparently, units are now all..amphibious (and they need 15-20 turns to cross an ocean!). There are no city-growth milestone requirements (granary, aqueduct, refrigeration). There is no culturally conquering an enemy city (detonating a "culture bomb" by consuming a Great Artist will only get you extra territory tiles but no cities). There are no spies nor health/pollution balance. And there are no armies (please read on).

ARMY CASTRATION
Someone please tell me what was so wrong with armies that had to be yanked out? Napoleon almost conquered Europe with one army. Germany almost conquered the eastern hemisphere with three and the US still holds a two-and-a-half armies doctrine. How can a turn-based game be called Civilization unless one can emulate, well, a real civilization? Building an army, seasoning it on minor conflicts and then going for the enemy's capital was one of the most fun parts of any Civilization game. Why, Sid? Just tell me that.

YOU MAY BE ABLE TO LAUNCH INTO SPACE - YET CANNOT CLIMB MOUNTAINS?!
Movement should be hindered by rough terrain. Units that have 3 or 4 moves on the plains should not be expected to do more than 1 or 2 on a mountain, right? Well, no. Mountains seem to be those magical places no unit can climb or pass through (not even ...helicopters of jet fighters!). And I cannot see how this makes for more complicated strategic decisions than timing your movements, claiming the high ground and having a bonus for elevated artillery?

UNIT STAMPEDE
A major issue for me, this was what really ruined the game. For some unfathomable reason units cannot be stacked. A worker can coexist with a military unit but that's it. Artillery and shock-cavalry are very vulnerable to attacks and (with the new hexagon layout) one would need ...six defensive units to protect a single artillery battery.
As a result, units keep getting on each other's way (especially when ordered to move for distances that require more than a turn), they refuse to even pass through friendly units (!) and the "tactical" considerations that result from this are trivial. And whenever besieging an enemy city, one has to endlessly maneuver his units around it (while exposed to its bombardment) whereas wounded units are never easy to withdraw.
You cannot even garrison more than a single unit within a city. Not that it would make a difference, since the garrisoned unit is not automatically awaken to fight back when the city is under attack(!), the city is left to defend itself.

CAN YOU REALLY COMMAND WITHOUT A...CENTRAL COMMAND?
The economy is nose-diving into the red and you want to reduce the percentage going into research for a while to avoid having units of yours deleted one by one? The fickle people of your civilization are unhappy and you want to placate them by increasing their entertainment allocation? You have discovered conscription and you want to upgrade all your musketeers into recruits? Well, tough luck! There is not central command screen to do so. Only advisers that you have to thank for annoying you.
You have very little control of your cities resource distribution and zero control of your national economy. And units have to be hunted down and upgraded one by one.
Speaking of the economy, when are we going to see a Civilization game where one can run and manage a national debt?

NO FREE EYE-CANDY IN THIS UNIVERSE. NOT EVEN A STALE ONE.
The game does look new and polished and the units are well designed but not cutting edge and not without a steep hardware price. If you expect anything comparable to STARCRAFT II crispiness you will be disappointed - at my 1280x1024 resolution it is not easy to discern roads from railroads.
The system I am running my copy consists of a P7 920 on a MSI Eclipse with 3GB of RAM and an ASUS nVIDIA GTX-480. Even with a couple years old PC in a WinXP environment (I refuse to forgo my game collection for the latest Windows OS), apparently I cannot even try the highest DX9 settings (the game crashes at launch) but I managed to optimize them with a mix of high and medium. Even then, whenever I scroll to a different location of the map, I can see the image fleshing out, just like zooming in a Google-Earth map.
So one can only wonder: why should one need a Cray to run a Civilization game at full?

A CIVILIZATION SOLD LIKE A SALAMI
In slices. DLC slices, that is. So far there have been over a dozen DLCs (of which only 9 are included in this GOTY edition). All are sold separately and each one contains a small portion of what was supposed to be an essential part of the game. Were there any Civilization games in the past that did not include the Babylonians or the Persians? No. And when was the last time a Civilization game cost over $150 to be complete? Well, never.

STEAM OF WAR
The game requires OnLine Activation (and perpetual reactivation every few days) and has to be tied to a STEAM account. Effectively this means that the game is a piece of rentware the buyer never really owns and yet it is sold at full price. I realize that to some people this may not be a serious issue so, in case you are wondering, I deducted a single star from my overall rating of the game because of its DRM scheme. To every other gamer however, you can now make an informed decision.

This was a major disappointment. I never though I'd say this but I while playing the latest Civilization game I caught myself wondering if they would ever make...Call To Power III.

New gamers, steer clear of this mess, this is not what a Civilization game plays like.
Seasoned gamers, we know better than to call this a Civilization game.

Sorry Sid, EPIC FAIL.

1.0 out of 5 stars Keepe crashing my computer, 4 Oct. 2013
I have played the previous versions of this game many times and have enjoyed it. However this new version keeps crashing my computer. Nothing wrong with the computer, its the game. I checked on line and there are loads of similar stories. Do not buy this game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, once you are in it, 27 Jun. 2014
Amazing graphics - although the DirectX 10 & 11 setting produced a glitch (DirectX 9 works fine).

Wading through the Steam account every time to load the game is a royal pain in the rear end (and nothing about that on the website)

Game play seems slow compared to previous versions of Civ (but some of that is me learning the new systems).

Big "thumbs up" for the game; slightly marred by the corporate bits (on install and every game session), otherwise it would be a 5-star product

5.0 out of 5 stars Why the bad reviews?, 27 Nov. 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ok, so I read the reviews for this, good and bad, and came to the conclusion that the only reason people are giving the game bad press is because of STEAM. Ok, I will admit that there should be an option on the disk to either use STEAM client or have nasty DRM installed instead... where you have to keep using the disk all the time to play it. Personally, I don't mind STEAM all that much, it's easy to use, provides lots of special offers on games and expansion packs and you can play the game without the hassle of using a disk everytime you want to play it. For what it's worth, I actually bought the game off STEAM aswell as the gods and kings expansion pack. Have had no problems with it this far.

So, with regards to steam, yeah, it would be nice if it was optional as opposed to mandatory, but otherwise, theres nothing wrong with steam. It even has benefits.

Enough of steam anyway, I see people ranting about steam all the time and it just gets boring after a while.

Review of the GAME: (not steam)
I had read that Civilization 4 was better, and not having played civilization before I didn't know what to expect. However, I thought, I'll try CIV 5 anyway and hope for the best. I'm glad I did. Usually my game of choice is total war. But this is a refreshing change, with lots to do and keep you occupied for hours, or in my case days at a time (tis very very addictive and hard to walk away from, especially once you get right into the main game).

The graphics and performance of this game is also very good, the game flows very well on full settings and although I feel the trees could have had a bit more detail to them, graphics are great.

If you are a newcomer to civilization like me, then this game is a treat and worth every penny, you can choose from 10 difficulty settings, LOTS of civilizations (I recommend the gods & kings expansion) and you can play the game at your own pace. The AI is not brilliant, but, it's not bad either.

Overall....
Easy to get into
lots of options to choose from
good graphics
nice music
performs well on full settings
stupidly addictive - be prepared to make excuses to skip work for a day or too

and for those of you who don't mind steam or who are unfamiliar with it.....
you don't need to keep using your disk - once installed - you can play it any time on any computer without the disk.
game automatically updates and patches
expansion packs available.

Best game I have bought in a long time other than total war games.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick with Civ IV, 9 Jan. 2014
Mr. M. Hatherell "Mark Hatherell" (Vauxhall, London, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I love the Civilization series but had kept away from Civ V after some of the reviews that I had read about it. As the price had dropped recently I thought I'd give it ago. After the initial loading period, which seemed overlong,the programme went into an automatic update sequence which required it to use the Steam servers at the end of which I got an error mesage stating the the Steam severs weren't available! I have attempted to log on regularly for the last 8 hours without success. I suppose that's one way to protect your game from pirates - don't let anyone play it! If you like Civ then look no further than Civ IV, if you are new to the Civ games then start with Civ IV and leave this piece of junk alone!

4.0 out of 5 stars ok, 1 Jun. 2014
E. S. Hunter "emsy" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
its ok but it cant beat civilization 4, which i cant play on windows 7 which i not happy about.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not in the box!, 25 Sept. 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This product is misrepresented on the Amazon website, it should clearly state that you must sign-up for a Steam account to install the software. At £18 for the box plus an entire month's worth of 4.5GB of bandwidth it's not what was offered in the product description. If I wanted to buy a download from Steam I would have gone to their website. I don't agree with their terms and conditions and don't want to tie up my broadband for an entire day while the real software downloads and installs.

This is the worst product I have ever bought on-line. Don't buy it. Amazon, I'm disappointed with you!

Civilization V - Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD)
Civilization V - Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD) by Take 2 Interactive (Windows Vista / XP)