on 26 February 2011
Pleasantly surprised; I was looking forward to this book and had very high expectations based of who was writing it. The author does a great job of covering Oracle GoldenGate (GG). The book is a quick and easy read that progresses forward in a step by step manner. This book is much better organized than the actual GG documentation. One minor thing I would of like is an image of where everything is in a recommended One-To-One "typical" replication. There was a table for "Configuration summary" but a visual of all the moving parts, the related files, and how to control/edit each file would have brought everything together visually. I see/read in pictures so this may not matter for other people.

Overall highly recommend this book. It's an easy read over a weekend. Chapter 3 and 6 show the experience of the author and the early chapters establishes the right amount of foundation without drowning a person.

Here is a one sentence break down on my impression per chapter:
Ch 1 "Getting Started" presents some history of GG and the basic architecture
Ch 2 "Installing and Preparing GoldenGate" get it, install it, and understand what you installed
Ch 3 "Design Considerations" this chapter is worth the price of the book alone and John provides his experience in written form.
Ch 4 "Configuring Oracle GoldenGate" here is where you get your hands dirty and get this really working
Ch 5 "Configuration Options" going beyond the basics
Ch 6 "Configuring GoldenGate for HA" is covers GG and RAC which is great.
Ch 7 "Advanced Configuration" good to know what you can do with the right tool
Ch 8 "Managing Oracle GoldenGate" ok got it running now keep it running and determine how well it is running
Ch 9 "Performance Tuning" make it run faster . . . what else would it be?
Ch 10 "Troubleshooting GoldenGate" nothing ever runs perfect all the time how to fix it.
on 26 June 2011
Here is a great book that was crying out to be written - the only one of its kind I think at the time of writing this review.

Coming from an Oracle Streams background I was keen to see just what GoldenGate has to offer and how the configuration process compares to a Streams environment.

I am pleased to say that pretty much everything I wanted to know was contained in this book! The author takes you clearly and methodically through all the phases of planning for and implementing a replication solution using GoldenGate. There is also plenty of useful discussion along the way e.g. backup and recovery considerations and hardware scalability.

I am pleased to say that the book lives up to its title of 'implementers guide'. This is not some cryptic reference manual - every step of the configuration process is accompanied by command line examples and sample scripts. These in themselves are invaluable, giving you an instant springboard to start configuring your own environment or tinkering with other features when you feel brave enough.

If you have Goldengate - or are thinking of using Goldengate as a replication solution - you should have this book.
on 15 March 2011
In my daily work as APEX specialist and SOA enthusiast I didn't have the chance to use Oracle GoldenGate before. So I started reading this book as a novice on the subject.
I was surprised by the huge amount of information given in this book. Almost every aspect of GoldenGate is described with abundant graphics and schematics. I really loved the introduction for each chapter that clearly explains what to expect in that chapter and the summaries at the end. It helped me to see if I really understood what the author meant to tell me in the rest of the chapter.

Even though the book is only roughly 250 pages, and it is crammed full with theory on what GoldenGate is and when and how you should use it, there is still room for some excellent examples that show you how to install and configure GoldenGate and how to use its features. Included are some very nice tips and tricks on what you can do and what you should avoid to do.

All in all an excellent book and a must-read for anyone using (or wanting to use) Oracle GoldenGate.