5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to our burgeoning camera bag
Published on 1 Sep 2011 by David P

2.0 out of 5 stars CANON EF-S 55-250 F/4-5 IS II
I read the full review of this lens in Canon magazines and thought this is the one for me, new lens released July 2011. How wrong can you be - attached to my Canon 50D off I went, not good results. The only way I can explain if that the lens is "soft focus" not sharp at all. Very disappointed. I did try this along side my Tamron 18-250 and the Tamron won.
I...
Published on 28 Aug 2011 by John

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to our burgeoning camera bag, 1 Sep 2011
David P (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens (Accessory)
I have had my eye on the old model of this lens for a while. When I decided to take the plunge, I was dismayed to find this new one had just come out, at a much higher price. After reading what little I could find about it, I came to the conclusion there isn't much difference (I couldn't find any technical difference), and ordered the old one. But I then was informed that no stock could be obtained, and my order was cancelled. I couldn't be bothered to try and find another seller who still had some, so I ended up buying this new model instead.

The first review here said the results were disappointing. Well, I can't explain that - maybe a lens/camera combination oddity, or maybe the lens was faulty. We've only played with it for a day so far, but on our Canon 60D the results are very good. No problems with soft focus. At full zoom, you can see the IS working through the view finder when you press and hold to focus, and you can just about hear the lens as it works to steady the image - it is very impressive. Focus seems fast and accurate.

One very important point which may be of interest to astronomers and the like - holding the camera pointing vertically up or down, there is NO ZOOM CREEP at any setting, the lens stays zoomed exactly where you put it. Maybe this is a feature of the new model, or maybe I got lucky and mine is just tighter than usual, or maybe it is just because the lens is new and will ease up with use. It is not stiff to turn, it seems to operate very smoothly and is very easy to adjust. But there is definitely no creep at all on our lens at the moment.

We bought the camera with the 18-55 kit lens, and are now adding to the collection. We also just bought the 50mm f1.8 which is very cheap, but the results are stunning. We are equally pleased with this new zoom. Ours is certainly not going back!

UPDATE: People with Canon cameras that support Peripheral Illumination Correction (in other words, compensating for vignetting, or darkening of the images toward the corners), such as the 60D which we have, should make sure that they download the latest update to the EOS Utility software, and then use it to upload the correction parameters for this new lens to the camera. The cameras ship with data for many of the popular lenses pre-loaded, but for the more uncommon ones, or just new ones such as this, you will need to use the utility to update the camera. The difference it makes when you have done it is really very impressive. Consult the manual if you are not sure how to do this, it is very easy - but you do need the latest update to the software, as this includes the data for this new lens. When you have it loaded, test it by taking a picture of an evenly lit blank wall without flash, first with then without this option turned on. The difference is clearly visible. If you shoot in RAW, you can apply the correction easily afterwards in the DPP software, and apparently with even more control and therefore success. But if you shoot in JPG, then this option will make a very good job of correcting it in-camera.

If you select the option in the camera menus, it tells you what the lens that is currently attached is, and whether it has the data for it or not. If it doesn't have the data, it won't do anything, even if enabled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to the kit lens., 12 Jan 2012
This review is from: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens (Accessory)
I purchased this lens to complement the 18-55mm lens that came with my Canon 600D. I also purchased the Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens.
I am a keen amateur photographer who enjoys photographing a wide range of subject; wildlife, landscapes, architecture and also my cat, dog, daughter and wife!

This lens is perfect for most of the above. It provides the reach needed to photograph birds and other wildlife without disturbing them.

Some reviewers report that this lens is soft, I have not seen this myself. Having been using the lens every day for the past 2 weeks all the images I have are sharp with great colours.
The autofocus works quickly and quietly, although like most sub 500 lenses it will hunt for focus in low light conditions.
The image stabilisation is as good as the 18-55mm and enables the lens to be used handheld in less than ideal conditions.

For the price, this lens is a no brainer for beginners/amateurs that need a zoom lens.
Sure, you won't get the performance of something like the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens but if you are just starting out or even if you've been snapping away for a while and need more reach then for the price it's perfect for what it does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice for beginners, 12 Oct 2011
This review is from: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens (Accessory)
After buying my Canon 600D recently (which came with the standard 18-55 lens), and after a lot of research, I decided to purchase this lens, and I can honestly say that I have not been disappointed in the slightest!

I am only a beginner enthusiast/hobbyist but it's user friendly enough for me to use and the results are very pleasing. I would definitely recommend this lens to any beginner/budget minded photographer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, 2 Nov 2011
This review is from: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens (Accessory)
I am not a great lover of extreme zooms of the 18-300 variety ,iv'e had several over the years and they are all a compromise some more than others ,this lens for the price is on the money in all respects ,an ideal second lens without the wide angle extension that creates some problems,quite often in this price bracket third party len's are a better bet but not in this case .
Just two small detractions ,the lens is a bit soft at extremes and the plastic coupling is something i would gladly pay a couple of quid to have replaced with a metal one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keen on IQ.. Easy on your pocket, 9 Sep 2011
This review is from: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens (Accessory)
I'll write my review in bullet points to save you time reading.

#I use this lens with my 550d along with 15-85mm & the nifty fifty.

# The IQ is on par with the 18-55 is kit lens. AF is very good for a lens at this price.

# build quality and design is great for my use - I don't use it in wet days or dusty Deserts, I value the light weight compact design & reasonable price. I don't want to walk around with a 1000+ lens that is heavier than my son.
t
Hope you find this review helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price but it has limitations, 13 Nov 2011
Mr. A. N. Mcgill (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens (Accessory)
I've had zoom lens before and knew that they "gobble light" making photos in poor light difficult. The image stabilising works very well but my Cannon 1000D still struggles in overcast conditions or where bright sunshine is interrupted by clouds. This is the reason why f2.8 versions cost so much more. However, for the price you can get some great results. It's a little stiff when rotating the barrel and of course it weighs quite a bit more than the standard 18-50mm but I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tele-zoom for the price!, 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens (Accessory)
First thing first - for the price you simply cannot expect L quality. I would not compare an L with this lens as there is no point in doing so.

This lens has great image quality for the price. The quality is surprisingly good from wide to about 200mm. At 250mm you can see some softening but not enough to be a problem. It produces brilliant colors and great contrast. It is not the sharpest lens but its resolution is very good and relative to its price the quality is excellent.

The build quality is not that good, but it also helps to keep it light. The front element does rotate while focusing. The zoom ring is smooth. The main body looks OK, the extending part looks like black painted toilet paper core

In good light, this performs well, with fast-ish focus. In low light this lens is not going to work for demanding scenarios of any kind.

The IS makes the lens worth the purchase as it work great in the greater focal lengths still keeping your images crisp.

Two weak points:
1. High vignetting when shooting wide open. Stop down at f/8 to eliminate the vignetting.
2. The autofocus speed is slow , especially in low light. You can miss some interesting shots because of this , i have.

If you're looking for a tele-zoom for your cropped-sensor Canon dslr look no further

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Lense for a Fantastic Price, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens (Accessory)
Ok I'm no professional, if I was I would be reviewing one of Canon's L Series lenses, I am a teenage photography enthusiast with little experience but a keen eye and a passion for photography. I have little experience with lenses, in fact this is my first lens that I have bought that didn't come with the body (an EOS 350D), however I can safely say I am extremely happy with it. I went for this one, as opposed to the 70-300mm III lens primarily because the 70-300mm didn't have Canons image stabilisation, which I wanted given how long the lens extends to, making it difficult to keep a steady hand which would have a particularly great effect in low light conditions. Of course I could have bought the USM IS version of the lens but that was simply too expensive for my budget. Speaking of the image stabilisation, it is fantastic. I have taken pictures with the exposure set to 1/20 and the lens at 250mm and it completely rids the image of any camera shake, it is incredible. Another high point is the fantastically smooth blur on out of focus objects and backgrounds. The lens coatings produce crystal clear, sharp images and although there hasn't been any bright sun or blue sky yet for me to test the colours, the contrast is very good at helping you create moody looking pictures in grey sky. Another positive is that there is absolutely no lens creep. I held the camera vertically down for 5 minutes and then vertically up for 5 minutes and the lens didn't move at all! And the zoom is very smooth compared to my kit lens (an older version of the standard 18-55). One negative is that the AF occasionally struggles to find a focus point, especially low light but it is not unbearable and in normal daylight hours it is perfectly alright. If I had the money I probably would have gone for the USM version but to be honest it's over double the price and as I'm no professional it really isn't worth the money.
So...
The positives:
Soft, beautiful blur
Very good IS
Good contrast and colours and sharp clear images
NO lens creep
Very good price!

Negatives:
Sometimes struggles to focus in low light, especially when there is lack of detail, like a bush with concentrated small leaves

I would recommend this lens to young budding photographers or amateur photographers, however if your more into it and have more expertise then i would go for the USM version, purely to save you time and give you a better experience. I give it 5* because of all these amazing features, and because it's 129.78! To be honest for a lens that price, I would buy it even if it didn't have the IS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price!, 1 Nov 2011
This review is from: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens (Accessory)
A fantastic zoom lens for a budding photographer on a budget - yes, there are always better lenses, but these will typically cost you twice to ten times what this one does. There are cheaper options too, but you won't find a cheaper lens with the image stabilisation that makes this lens such great value. It has sufficient zoom for shooting wildlife in gardens, parks, zoos etc - probably not enough for safari, but if you can afford safari, you can probably buy a better camera & lens! ;- It's not bad for macro either - you can't get very close, and it's not 'true' macro, but if you want a long focal length for example to shoot butterflies & more easily scared insects then it's ideal. I've been very happy with my purchase for less than 150 I have an excellent addition to my kit. I generally combine this with my kit lens and a budget macro lens and I'm prepared for most things. You can find my photos on flickr username pointblock, I'm sure I'll upload some soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for beginners., 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens (Accessory)
I've recently started playing about with a DSLR. Of course, if you are doing this too, you want to ensure that you have a reasonably wide range of lenses. One of the first I wished for was a decent zoom lens. I settled for this as it had a decent zoom level and the image stabilization. This is very important if you intend to have a zoom, unless you are very, very good indeed. Certainly better than me. This was a good price and I am very happ with it.

I bought it a good while ago now and notice that there is a new version out. If you're on a budget and this is still available, you can't go too far wrong with this, so still worth a look.

ARRAY(0xac3658b8)