4.0 out of 5 stars A pretty good read
Published on 10 Jun 2009 by Deborah

3.0 out of 5 stars A strong novel bu rather long............
Published on 5 May 2008 by Mr. Thomas Thatcher

4.0 out of 5 stars A pretty good read, 10 Jun 2009
The first thing I have to say about this book is that it's too long, and that should have been dealt with by some decent editing. I love a bit of good descriptive writing, but sometimes one can have just too many adjectives, too carefully detailed a reaction, too much introspection and too deep an insight into characters' feelings. I suppose one of the biggest problems was feeling any real attachment to Will, and it's such a shame, because he's a brilliant idea for a character.

BUT, I think the setting and what Young does with it is excellent and most of the other characters are interesting and well-written. I like the way she juggles the action between locations and the way she describes the various fights and battles and I enjoyed the unfolding of events and development of (most of) the characters affected by them. I was a bit disappointed that we never really go to meet the Mongols, but apart from that, a pretty good read all in all, and I expect I'll read the final book; I see that it's about 100 pages shorter than this one, so let's hope that that's a reduction in the superfluous and not just a shortage of plot.

3.0 out of 5 stars A strong novel bu rather long............, 5 May 2008
Mr. Thomas Thatcher "Tom Thatcher" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
For what it's worth, I thought that Brethren, the first in this yet-to-be-completed trilogy, was very good - the characters had depth, the storyline had credibility, it was a page-turner (never a bad thing if one has had to endure the hideous gloom of Thomas Hardy in one's youth) and the lovely Miss Young writes excellent and well-constructed English. It was a fine effort from one so young and also showed evidence of a great deal of careful historical research to root the novel in a bed of basic fact.

Unusually for me, I actually sought out Crusade with real eagerness and settled down on a particularly wet and horrible weekend (which also featured much Gordon Brown on the tele - that's how bad a weekend it was) to enjoy it. Enjoy it I did, but with some reservations and it seems unkind to criticise adversely because Miss Young has achieved a great deal. Here, again for what it's worth, are some of my reservations:

1. The novel is about 150 pages too long. There is no doubt that the author wanted to cram in as much as possible and build the book up to a cracking ending - but there are long passages where not a lot happens, and more by circumstance than by style, they plod.
2. The characters have become a little formulaic. The Sultan's evil advisor never talks, he hisses. Will's girlfriend is such an unspeakable drip that one is surprised she hasn't dissolved by the 4th chapter. The wronged friend who betrays his old mate and yet comes good at the end is tiresome. Yet I have to say that once again Robyn's depiction of life in Acre during the Crusades is good - hot, miserable, disease-ridden and run through with finance and the intrigues that always follow war and conflict. As J B Priestly said, "Sex, money and food cross all borders."
3. Robyn Young's writing is efficient but no so vibrant as in the first book.

All that said, I shall seek out the final chapter and no doubt read it with pleasure. Whenever I have tried to write a novel I have run out of ideas by page three so I have no right to judge Miss Young. I do hope, though, that she is economical with the story and with the various plots. She is a fascinating writer and I have no doubt at all that her books over the years will become more and more interesting. To her great credit, nowhere does she affect to be writing history and one is aware that this is a real novel.

A sensible and well-thought out novel, but not so available as Brethren. Nonetheless, far, far better than a holiday potboiler.

5.0 out of 5 stars The stunning conclusion to an epic trilogy; of heated conflict, betrayal and revenge!, 18 Jan 2013
The story of Will Campbell began in `Brethren' and which continued in `Requiem' comes to its end in this dramatic, exciting installment. This outstanding historical masterpiece encapsulates brilliantly the bloody violence, heated rage and deep-rooted enmity of the times as the Templar Knights are brought vividly to life on the page. Will Campbell is a heroic character whose bravery, steel-mindset of determination and goodness of heart is commendable. Within this brilliant book alongside the ultimate finale to this enormous tale do you also find within, new unexpected happenings that threaten to turn everything on its head. Intense drama, thrilling nail-biting action and shocking events make this trilogy one of the most exceptional I have encountered within this genre!

Will Campbell is a Templar Knight, trained for war. But as a member of the secret brotherhood known as the Brethren, he is also a man of peace. After years of bloodshed, the Brethren have helped to create an uneasy truce between the Christian and Muslim forces in the Holy Land. But there are those on both sides for whom peace is not an option. And when an assassination attempt is made on the new Grand Master of the Temple, Campbell finds himself caught in a devastating web of deception and destruction as the Eastern World rushes headlong towards a catastrophic conflict...

Born to fight.
Born to protect.
Destined to be betrayed.

Intricately detailed, cleverly complex and beautifully written this exhilarating ride, action-packed story is just wonderful. Believable characters amidst a realistic setting, makes this atmospheric saga authentic to the core as Young evokes the era brilliantly. Robyn Young is an outstanding contemporary writer whose work never disappoints, leaving you sat on the edge of your seat wanting to read more!

4.0 out of 5 stars crusade book that is actually told from both points., 3 Feb 2009
Gavin Linton (London) - See all my reviews
I got this book after reading the first one awhile ago and I got is cheap on Amazon and it did not disappoint. First it tells both sides of the story and that is interesting and it is a great read for men just because it has everything really and actually not badly written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crusade (The Brethren Trilogy) Robyn Young, 5 Sep 2014
I said in my review of the first book of this series that I was anticipating reading the rest of the series as I thoroughly enjoyed Brethren. Well I have read the second and am glad to say it is as good as the first, The drama and intrigue between the Mamluks and the Christians is the main story line but there are many others as well. That is what I liked most about this book; that the author could weave together so many plots and subplots into a very readable and enjoyable tale. I know that some readers of historical fiction look for historical accuracy over the fact of mere story telling…I am not one of those. For me it is enough to know that the Middle-East has always been in turmoil and probably always will be. If an author can take that turmoil and write an entertaining story involving the strife between Muslim, Jew and Christian then I am content. Given that premise, Robyn Young has done a marvelous job and I will be continuing my reading of her work. I give it 5 stars.

About the author:

Robyn Young was born in Oxford and grew up in the Midlands and a fishing village in Devon, during which time she won awards for poetry and edited a regular page in a regional newspaper. After hitchhiking to Brighton at 19, she worked as a festival organiser, a music promoter and a financial advisor. She wrote two novels before gaining a Masters in Creative Writing at the University of Sussex.

Her first published novel, BRETHREN, went straight into the Sunday Times top ten, where it remained for five weeks, becoming the bestselling hardback debut of the year. It entered the New York Times top twenty on publication in the US and was named book of the year by German newspaper Bild. Her second novel, CRUSADE, reached number 2 and REQUIEM completed the trilogy. In 2007, Robyn was named one of Waterstone’s twenty-five ‘authors of the future’, judged by a panel of one hundred industry insiders who were asked to nominate the authors they believed would contribute the greatest body of work over the next quarter century.

The inspiration for Robyn’s new bestselling trilogy, which began in 2010 with INSURRECTION and continued in 2012 with RENEGADE, was inspired by a research trip to Scotland and is based on the life of Robert Bruce. The third novel, KINGDOM, will be published in 2014 in the month of the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn.

Alongside writing novels, Robyn has collaborated on a WWII screenplay. Her novels have been published in 22 countries in 19 languages and together have sold almost 2 million copies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mills and Boon meets historical fiction., 23 Oct 2007
I wrote a review on the first in this series (Brethren) and ended wishing for hopes that the second installment imporved on the first. The reality is I read these novels hoping to meet an author of historical fiction, someone who could weave research and detail into a great plot and rich characters.

What I should have appreciated is that this is not historical fiction (no matter what it says of the fly sleeve). The opening chapters introduce us to characters carved out of the C20th and dropped into the middle ages. This is a good yarn but it's like reading about a re-enactment society; eveyone's dressed up in 'ye olde clothes' but thinking, speaking and acting like the us.

Sorry to disappoint, it's not a bad book - it's just not "historical" - I want to be immersed into the period not shown the costumes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of detail, but great read, 5 Jan 2009
chuckles "barnie884" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Book 2 of Robyn Youngs crusade trilogy carries on perfectly from the first book. The same comments can be made as the first, a lot of time is covered and a lot of detail on the characters and story. It is clear she does a lot of research into this time period, you really feel you are there. The characters as well, you feel like you know them inside and out by the end of the book, feeling their pains and pleasures with them. If you are a fan of the first, you will really enjoy this, however I can see how some people may find this a little heavy going. The book itself is actually split into 3, so you almost get 3 for the price of 1 with these, some more unscrupulous authors may have even made 3 out of this for more money. Great read, great story and great characters, for me a good new historical fiction authors, just got book 3 for Christmas, can't wait to tuck in!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, 18 Nov 2008
Florian Drews (UK) - See all my reviews
As opposed to what others might have said, I think Robyn Young has not only managed to outshine her first book (the brethren - which I devoured in a few days only) but has been able to get myself fully absorbed in the history of the 13th century.

As I knew little of the time period, I found myself researching the main plots of the book and immersing myself ever more into the history of the mamluks, templars and the crusades.

As opposed to Bernhard Cornwell's taste for sometimes boring battle scenes (as they somehow seem to appear to be same over and over again in any of his books), I feel that Young puts more emphasis on developing her characters well and giving them believable non-20th-century-personalities. I guess, that this is the point, which many people might disagree about.

As a non-native English speaker, I loved once more her way of describing personalities and surroundings, which clearly arose in front of my inner eye.

I think, this book could be one of those, which I might actually read again after a few years, because it gave me a great deal of joy.

The only thing I didn't like was the book cover - as it looks to me like a fantasy book similar to the abominable Eragon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book from first class author, 30 Jun 2014
Great book, great series from this author, long may this string of books carry on!?

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeling the history of the Holy Land in the twelve hundreds, 10 Feb 2014
Great storyline interwoven with real historical facts -- terrific interaction that gives the reader a clear insight into the period and especially the crusades and the involvement of the Knights Templar.

Crusade (Brethren Trilogy)