5.0 out of 5 stars A Travel Guide for Everyone
Published on 1 Jun. 2011 by Michael E. Tymn

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure
My wife died recently and my mind is all over the place, purchased this book to try and find something ? not sure what to be honest , that's all I can say, not much I know.
Published 22 months ago by Jorg Wheelan

5.0 out of 5 stars A Travel Guide for Everyone, 1 Jun. 2011
Professor Stafford Betty, the author, asserts that conventional beliefs regarding life after death are antiquated and that his book is intended to give a more realistic picture of what the "Other Side" is like. He points out that there is no conclusive evidence of what to expect when we die, but the accounts set forth in the book are consistently similar and more easily reconcilable with a just and loving God than the one offered to us by orthodox religion.

Having done much research in this area and having written extensively on the subject, I totally agree with him. Much has come to us through credible mediumship, near-death experiences, and other paranormal phenomena about what to expect after death. Unfortunately, organized religions have rejected this modern revelation because it is not totally consistent with what it has interpreted from its good books and thus it presents a threat to their leadership. At the same time, science has rejected it because it cannot be analyzed in a test tube. In effect, this "modern revelation" is a victim of both religious and scientific fundamentalism.

"Some religions take a dim view of mediums and warn that messages coming to us from the Other Side are from the Devil," Betty states in the Introduction. "Many scientists, on the other hand, tell us not to pay attention to such `messages' because there is no such thing as spirits and life after death. Other people take a middle path, including some of the world's best scientists. They bring a critical but open mind to the topic. That is the attitude I take and encourage you to take."

There is something about the word "medium" or "mediumship" that triggers both suspicion and antagonism in many people today, but anyone who has spent time studying the subject, as both the author and I have done, comes to understand that there are genuine mediums who are able to serve as intermediaries between this world and the next and give some indication as to what the afterlife is like. In those "good books" they were called seers and prophets, but the messages came through in the same way. Contrary to fundamentalists' interpretations, revelation did not end some 2,000 years ago.

Betty explains that this book is not about the type of evidential communication we see on television these days. Rather, it is about what has been termed "spiraling mediumship" - wisdom and higher truths believed to be communicated by spirits with a mission to do more than provide evidence of the existence of the afterlife. "They reveal an astral world of amazing beauty and stepped-up intensity of thought and emotion," he writes, adding that they offer "an overall plan that explains not only the spirits' purpose over there but ours right here; and a mysterious grandeur that surpasses the ability of our language to describe it adequately."

Many spirit communicators are quoted. "As the soul lives in the earth-life, so does it go to spirit-life," the author quotes one advanced spirit. "Its tastes, its predilections, its habits, its antipathies, they are with it still. It is not changed save in the accident of being freed from the body. The soul that on earth has been low in taste and impure in habit does not change its nature by passing from the earth-sphere, any more than the soul that has been truthful, pure, and progressive becomes base and bad by death."

Another spirit communicated: "You should get away from the mental habit of regarding your present life as the only one, get rid of the idea that the life you expect lead on this side, after your death, is to be an endless existence in one state. You could no more endure such an endless existence in the subtle matter than you could endure to live forever in the gross matter in which you are now encased. You would weary of it. You could not support it."

Still another spirit had this to say: "This is a wonderful, thrilling experience. When I caught but a glimpse of Light on earth, and it uplifted and changed me, and changed also the direction of my life, that impermanent glimpse was as nothing to the immersion of Light that is possible here. I appear to lie in my garden, yet in the power of this Light, my mind and spirit stretch out into a glorious extension."

Clearly, Dr. Betty is not your stereotypical religion professor. Unlike most professors, he dares to discuss life after death in his classes. "The subject seems to be surrounded by an aura of disrepute," he writes in the Afterword of the book. "We can talk about God, we can talk about ethics all day long, but the one subject that should most concern us - because everything else ultimately rests on it - is off limits among the smarter set where I work. I get the sense that faith in life after death is OK, but just don't talk about it, don't admit it. It's unsavory! Why is this?"

Betty says he thinks he has the answer. "Among people who like to think of themselves as smart and well informed, such as you find among professors at a secular university, the materialist assumptions of the physical sciences color almost everything else," he explains. "And since an afterlife is immaterial, at least in the way science understands matter, my colleagues are reluctant to admit they believe in it even if they do. Among them are two Catholics in the biology department, and one is a long-time friend. He deflects every attempt by prying students to learn if he is a man of faith, and in fact he implies that he is not. This is a man who loves his religion; but he is afraid to admit it. He doesn't want to look like a fool. He doesn't want to appear disreputable."

When one is planning a trip to another country, it is prudent and wise to find out, in advance, as much about that country and its people as possible. The same may be said for the after-death "trip." Indications are that we are able to adjust and settle in much more easily if we know what to expect. In that sense, this book is an outstanding travel guide to the most important trip any of us will ever take.

5.0 out of 5 stars What mediums (and their spirit guides) tell us about the afterlife, 14 Nov. 2011
Dr. H. A. Jones "Howard Jones" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The Afterlife Unveiled: What the dead are telling us about their world, by Stafford Betty,
O Books, 2011, 140 ff.

What mediums (and their spirit guides) tell us about the afterlife
By Howard Jones

The author of this book is a Professor of Religion at California State University in Bakersfield and he is a world authority on afterlife studies.

Over the past few decades many authors have provided us with evidence that mortal death does not imply extinction of the soul. It substantiates the concept that there is such a thing as individual soul that may exist before we are born into the world and which certainly lives on after what we define as death. This evidence comes from at least five sources. Authors like Raymond Moody, Mark Fox and Pim van Lommel have given us anecdotal accounts of near-death experiences of people who have survived critical medical traumas, or out-of-body experiences of those who have actually been described as clinically dead. Spiritual healers have called upon knowledge and powers that they could not rationally possess to treat and even cure disorders of the body that were regarded as medically untreatable, as the books by J. Bernard Hutton illustrate. Ian Stevenson has given us persuasive evidence of reincarnation. And psychics and clairvoyants have been shown repeatedly to be aware of events that they could not have known of with the five senses.

Here, Professor Betty relates `seven accounts of the afterlife allegedly conveyed by spirits who are there . . . Some `died' centuries ago. Others were `dead' for little more than a few days or months . . .' The stories they tell, the pictures of the afterlife they draw, are presented here as anecdotes related by mediums. They include Rev. William Stainton Moses' description as given by the spirit known as `Imperator', Alice Stringfellow's account given by her son Leslie who died at the age of 20, and Judge David Hatch speaking through medium Elsa Barker.

Frederic Myers, as one of the co-founders of The Society for Psychical Research, was already convinced of the survival of mortal death. He had been a lecturer in Classics at Trinity College, Cambridge. Some 23 years after his death he spoke through the medium Geraldine Cummins. A Catholic priest, Monsignor Robert Hugh Benson, communicated through the medium Anthony Borgia. He regretted his dismissal of spiritual communication through mediums as a `mental aberration' and realised that `orthodoxy is man-made'. The Anglican nun, Frances Banks, conveyed a similar message to her friend, the medium Helen Greaves. Finally, the Lutheran minister Alvin D. Mattson speaks to us through the medium Margaret Flavell.

This list of spirits who have communicated with mediums indicates that they have rejected orthodox, dogmatic religion in favour of a more holistic spiritual world-view. The picture of the afterlife they present, recounted here, totally negates the images of heaven and hell that the western Church created to patronise or terrify people into obedience of its will. This should be an inspiring book for anyone with an open mind curious about what awaits us when our mortal life is over.

Dr Howard A. Jones is the author of The Thoughtful Guide to God (2006) and The Tao of Holism (2008), both published by O Books of Winchester, U.K.; and The World as Spirit published by Fairhill Publishing, Whitland, West Wales, 2011.

The Articulate Dead: They Brought the Spirit World Alive by Michael Tymn
Life After Life by Raymond Moody
The Survival of the Soul by Lisa Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Afterlife Perspectives, 13 Jan. 2013
"The Afterlife Unveiled" by Stafford Betty Ph.D. is a unique book that features information on what life after death may look like. Obviously, one has to have an open mind to read "The Afterlife Unveiled" because it a channeled book. However, there is a wealth of interesting information in this book. The following viewpoints are among a few of the writings included within the chapters:
Page 7: Robin Williams starred in a movie about the afterlife called "What Dreams May Come." "What Dreams May Come" is based on a fantasy novel of the same moniker (authored by Richard Matheson).
Pages 15-21: There are at least 21 spheres of existence in the afterlife. The original channeled book of this information came from "Spirit Teachings" and written by William Stainton Moses (former Anglican minister).
Pages 58-59: At least seven higher planes exist and the choice to reincarnate back on earth is optional (sourced from the book "The Road To Immortality" by Geraldine Cummins).
Pages 65-68,74: Countless cities and occupations abound in the spirit world as on earth. Comedies and theater are shown in both humorous ways and the true reasons underlying the events (minus the violence). Details are given on how to grow in spirit. Many spirits are allowed the choice of foregoing reincarnation on earth and staying in the non-physical realms (sourced from the book "Life In The World Unseen" by Anthony Borgia).
Page 107: At least three ways are given on how souls progress in the non-physical realms. Souls are also seen for exactly who they are in the non-physical realm. Many spirits also enjoy numerous members of their "spirit families" and light beings immediately greeting them after their physical death on earth.
Page 109: Many spirits who commit suicide DO NOT transition to an eternal hell. A compassionate view appears to be taken on suicide.
Page 111: Countless souls have the free-will to not return to earth, but many choose to reincarnate back on earth for the learning opportunities.
There is so much more interesting information contained in this book. "The Afterlife Unveiled" by Stafford Betty is a positive and nourishing book for those who are curious and open-minded in reading about potential realities in the afterlife.

5.0 out of 5 stars ***** Afterlife Unveiled - Please read this book*****, 29 Jan. 2012
If you could only read one more book in this lifetime, this would be the book to read. I found such comfort from reading Afterlife Unveiled and I hope you will too.
I even dropped Dr Betty a line to say thank you and was delighted with a reply. I thought I would attach my letter as it sums up how I feel. I have also attached Dr Betty's reply.

Dear Dr Betty

I have just finished reading your book 'The Afterlife Unveiled' and I felt I had to drop you a line to tell you how grateful I am that you were able to write this book and how delighted I am to have found it.

As I am now reaching 40 I am experiencing with more frequency my loved ones passing over; how comforting it is to imagine them living in this wonderful Afterlife.

I have always been philosophical and open minded about what might happen when we die and although I am baptised Catholic I disagreed with many of the Catholic churches teachings. I believe as in the book that the Bible contains a lot of man made fiction however at it's heart is trying to create a healthier soul.

I was shocked to discover how many of my pre-exsisting thoughts on the Afterlife were reflected in the pages of your book.

The idea of our enriched souls becoming increasingly enlightened as they pass through levels was one, the choice to be reincarnated if we desired another.

I already felt that all types of religion were acceptable as we all shared one God and that we would have a universal language we could all undestand and communicate with. I have never studied the afterlife and these thoughts were just essentially philosophical.

One of the most significant parts of the book was imagining the Shadowlands were souls stay until they can be encouraged to leave the darkness.

It's joyful to know that even broken souls can be mended in the light of God and that there is still hope for every soul, past and present.

I have found I now pray more often for these poor souls and for the souls who's job it is to guide them away from the darkness.

This book makes so much sense to me and find I believe it as if every word was truth.

I have never before read a book that has had such a profound effect on me and for that I am truly grateful.

I hope we can one day say hello in the Afterlife Dr Betty.

Kindest regards

( A very happy Soul )

Dear Paula,

What a lovely, lovely letter you have written me! Thank you for the kind words.

Like you, I find the literature reaching us from the Other Side extremely inspirational and filled with hope for all of us. I wish more people knew about it!

If you have a moment, please place your letter on Amazon.com. It might help the cause.

Warm greetings to you, Paula, from sunny California.

Stafford Betty

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding book by a world expert in death and afterlife studies, 30 July 2011
Dr. Betty's guided tour through the astral plane is a fascinating, original, and masterfully written account of the world that may be waiting for us after we die. At times inspiring, philosophically insightful, and even humorous, this book, which shows us the world to come as it is revealed through mediums, will serve as a compelling document to anyone who has grown tired of the stubborn materialism of academic philosophy.

That a bona fide academic would dare to write such a thing seems, at least initially, almost too much to believe. Betty appears to have philosophical nerves of steel, and no doubt he long ago abandoned any concern for what the bien-pensants of his profession might think about his work. Rather, he has produced a book that, whatever the truth of many of its contentions may be, proves that one can write seriously and academically about a subject--the afterlife--that most in his field would find professionally embarrassing to consider. The bravery of the work is one of the best arguments for its being read.

For me the most interesting moment of The Afterlife Unveiled comes in the Afterword, when Betty criticizes the renowned British theologian Karen Armstrong for calling the afterlife a "red herring." Betty quotes Armstrong: "The religions say you can experience eternity in this life, here and now, by getting those moments of ecstasy when time ceases to be a constraint. And you do it by the exercise of the Golden Rule and by compassion. And just endless speculation about the next world is depriving you of a great experience in this one." Betty claims otherwise. While excessive, speculative focus on eternity may indeed distract one from ethical obligations in this world, or deprive one of one's fair share of earthly pleasures, true, fulfilling spiritual living in Betty's view requires a marriage of ethical commitment in earthly life and a strong vision of, and hope for, a better world to come. He writes, "A bold commitment to this world stands on the shoulders of a faith in the next."

Betty accepts what Armstrong in her professional cautiousness cannot: that human beings will never be interested in a religion that does not offer unambiguous hope of life after death, and which does not present at least a somewhat intelligible vision of what that life will be. Betty in fact gives us a much clearer picture of the afterlife than anything we find in any of the world's extant religious traditions; indeed, in The Afterlife Unveiled, the clarity and matter-of-factness of the vision may be the best argument for its authenticity

The twenty-first century is in need of religious imagination, and Betty's book provides it. In a world where religion and science have too often stopped talking to each other, and where even believers like Armstrong are beginning to be infected by agnosticism about the world to come, The Afterlife Unveiled offers an evidence-based account of religious phenomena that supplies the basis for a new kind of faith. Anyone who has had trouble believing in an afterlife will find much encouragement here and is likely to come away with a far more optimistic view of our place in the grand scheme.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Afterlife Unveiled: What the Dead are Telling Us About Their World, 25 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Afterlife Unveiled: What the Dead are Telling Us About Their World (Kindle Edition)
The author objectively surveys common and reoccurring insights and realisations from a range of subjective experiences of afterlife existence. This helps to identify what are some of the more common perceptions and experiences encountered in the afterlife dimensions of existence. He also surveys two books: (also available from Amazon), Life In The World Unseen by Anthony Borgia; and The Testimony of Light by Helen Greaves. These books are regarded as 'classics' of the initial afterlife experience and progression.
Why study this subject of afterlife experience?
The afterlife initial dimensions of existence are referred to as 'The place of preparation and adjustment'. For after our Earth life, we need to make many gradual adjustments in the 'new conditions' of life that we experience in the other dimensions of existence. Gradually, realisations and relearned abilities enable us to prepare for the next phase of development and progression when we are ready for more enhanced awakening of conscious connection with Creation and Creator and realise our divine birth right as Spiritual Beings of Light and Love.
As you study this subject, it becomes apparent that what is communicated from the afterlife dimensions is the subjective and personal experiences and impressions of individuals trying to communicate how they perceive, feel and understand their new life and existence. The author helps us to identify the more common themes and experiences.
So what relevance does learning about this have for our life now on Earth?
Learning about the afterlife conditions of existence and adjustments needed, can help us to gradually understand why we are here now incarnated on this often testing and demanding planet Earth and view life from a wider perspective of possibilities and potential to gradually realise our true identity as spiritual beings connected with all life in many dimensions of being and existence. The author has compiled accounts of the afterlife that are not hyped up or overly simplistic as some presentations are inclined to be to sell books. He enables us to form our own judgements and understanding about this subject as far as that is possible through testimony from others who have 'passed on' through other dimensions of existence and learned a bit more about what life involves to be richer in being in increasing Light and Love and service to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 1 Nov. 2012
I must admit to enjoying the book and read it twice. I liked the non-patronizing, unbiased feel of it and I have spoken at length with friends and relatives and encouraged them to read it too. After losing my brother it has helped in a small way for me to cope with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure, 3 July 2013
Jorg Wheelan (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The Afterlife Unveiled, 9 Sept. 2013
If you only ever read one book on the topic of the afterlife, this truly is the book for you to purchase. I have just finished reading it and quite honestly there is not one thing I would question. I have always believed in the afterlife and had my beliefs on how it happens and The Afterlife Unveiled sums it all up. A must read even if you don't believe in the afterlife it will get you thinking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Will read again and again., 6 Mar. 2014
I found this book excellent reading for the believer, unbeliever and anyone else who cannot make up their minds. It is written in way that leaves one at the very least giving much thought to the subject, proof to the believer and hopefully peace and a calmness to the terminally ill. A great read. P. H.