4.0 out of 5 stars A nice step up from the first entry.
In all truthfulness, I wasn't really looking forward to this book. I found number one to have a great concept, that was a bit muddled in it's storytelling to the point where I didn't truly understand the world that the author had created. Maybe I was having a bad day when I read that one, because this entry was not confusing to me in the slightest, everything was...
Published on 15 Jan. 2013 by finalguy

3.0 out of 5 stars More for YA paranormal romance fans than YA urban fantasy readers
Having spent his summer working cons on rich old men in Atlantic City with his mum, Cass is relieved to get back to school right up until he discovers that Lila's enrolled there. She's still suffering from the curse that Cass's mum put on her and although she knows about it, she's finding it almost as hard to stay away from him as he is in staying away from her. But...
Published on 15 May 2012 by I Read, Therefore I Blog

5.0 out of 5 stars Families really are twisted sometimes, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Red Glove (The Curse Workers Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Another good read. I enjoyed book one so much that this was my next read and am not disappointed. Plenty of twists and turns and decisions that have consequences that are at once brilliant then turn to rot quickly afterwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant again, 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Red Glove (The Curse Workers Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This 2nd book in the series was excellent again. I would definitely recommend it and im about to download the next one to find out what happens in this fascinating well written series.

4.0 out of 5 stars red glove, 9 April 2012
Ali (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I had a few problems with White Cat, namely the narrative technique and the somewhat vague world building. I also liked numerous things about it: the unreliable narrator and the characters. And I am pleased to report the issues I had are no longer and the good points are being built on.

Firstly, the narrative. It's such a subtle shift away from first person present tense to a style that is more familiar. It's the reason I enjoyed this a lot more than I did White Cat even though I gave them both the same rating. I still find Cassel to be an unreliable narrator: just because it's written from Cassel's POV doesn't mean that he isn't keeping secrets from the reader. I liked that a lot.

Secondly, the world building. Black has started to develop the world of the Curse Workers a bit more and I now get why it was so vague in book one. As Cassel himself wasn't aware that he was a Worker, he wasn't privy to certain pieces of information. Now that he knows who he is, he and therefore the reader learns more of the ins and outs of the Worker world. And what a world it's starting to become. Full of mafia-like organisations, headed by powerful families, and con artists galore. I also like how there are consequences to working someone, the `blowback', where the Worker gets a little of what they just dished out. It gives an added edge to the way the Worker uses their ability, sort of `with great power comes great responsibility', to be a tad geeky for a moment.

And finally, the characters. I always like Holly Black's characters and here is no exception. Cassel has got to be my favourite as I like how he's neither good nor bad but somewhere in between, depending on the situation, just like the rest of us. I do feel he's a little easily manipulated, particularly by his family, but I have a feeling that will change. I also like Cassel's friends, Sam and Daneca and the dialogue between the three of them amused on a few occasions.

This book definitely ups the ante from the first instalment, both in terms of plot and story development. I'm very much looking forward to reading the next, final?, part Black Heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Won't be disappointed, 20 Feb. 2012
O. Lisa "NightReader" (italy) - See all my reviews
Holly Black has taken a steady place among my favorite authors ever and she is perhaps THE favorite in paranormal YA.
You think she writes about vampires? Nah.
Shapeshifters? Hardly.
Angels? Nope.
Nephilims? Nuh-uh.
Are there mean girls? Jocks? Cheerleaders? Love triangles? Instalove? No, no, no, no and no.
Then she CANNOT possibly write paranormal YA.

Yet, she does.
She writes about curse workers. People, living in an alternate version of our society, very much like ours, where people can work other people just by touching them. They curse them, influencing their physical or emotional state to their needs. There are emotional workers, physical workers, death workers, luck workers, transformation workers; this is a world where everybody wears gloves and where criminal organizations (families, mafia style) employ workers of all kinds for their illegal purposes.

Cassel, aside from being a worker of the worst kind, is also part of a family of con artists. If you haven't read White Cat (Curse Workers), go do so now to learn all about his family and the kind of worker he is.
In Red Glove, Cassel has to deal with the consequences of what happened in the previous book and with a murder case. Except it's not just any murder, it's his brother Phillip who gets killed. The only clue to the identity of the assassin is a video with the image of what seems to be a woman, clad in a coat and red gloves.

Red Glove totally lived up to White Cat. Just as good, just as original, just as well written.
I found the mafia/detective/paranormal combination appealing and different from the mass of mediocrity.
Black writes an incredibly believable male voice, which is pretty rare, I'd say (the other great one I encountered lately is Jace from Split).
And just like Jace, Cassel is one of those characters walking the fine line between good and evil, bad and wrong. He struggles and you're never sure if he's going to trip over, if he'll get up again. Circumstances are messing up his life, trouble seems to be always around the corner and tricky situations where it would be easier just to give up come to find him right on time.
He's definitely no champion, but he manages, even with Lila, and I felt him as incredibly believable.

This is why, unfortunately, despite finding Jesse Eisenberg a fantastic reader and actor for this audiobook, I just could not envision him as the Cassel I had in mind. I guess he sounded too much like the good guy to me. But this is just my personal opinion, based on the Cassel that is inside my head. Also, this was the first audiobook I ever listened to and it took a while for me to get used to it, so bear that in mind.
Nevertheless, for those who have been reluctant to pick up this series, I strongly suggest you give it a try. If you're tired and bored out of your mind of the usual paranormal YA this might just be your cuppa.

Needless to say I am eagerly awaiting the final chapter of this series, Black Heart (Curse Workers). Whoever snatches an ARC of this will be on my blacklist forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars You're only a finger tip away from another amazing book..., 4 July 2011
The Curse Workers series is fast becoming one of my favourites and Holly Black is now on my list of favourite authors. I absolutely loved White Cat - the idea of magic workers, the mafia and con artists blended together is truly amazing. When Red Glove finally arrived in the post, I broke into the cardboard packaging quicker than my younger sister can open her Christmas presents. I delved right into the book and only stopped occasionally to satisfy the odd grumble from my stomach. I thought that the book was just as good, perhaps even better, than the first one.

Cassel Sharpe had an awful lot to deal with during White Cat and he has even more problems during Red Glove. At the end of book one we found out that Cassel's Mother had emotionally worked Lila to love him and the first chapter of book two focuses on how Cassel has dealt with it - so far he hasn't been coping well at all! And then there's his brother Philip, who is murdered which leads Cassel to become involved with Federal Agents that him to work for them, but then there is also Zachorov, the infamous mobster, and he wants Cassel on his side as well. Cassel definitely has a hard time and how he deals with all of the stuff going on around him really makes for a great, fast-paced read. Cassel's narration is what makes this book so gripping and awesome - he's a confused character who lives life on the edge - in his own way he is trying to be good, but in being good he has to do illegal things. His character is not written in black or white and he is most certainly not your typical heroic, tall, dark and handsome male. His mind is a constant battle field as he struggles between doing what's right and doing what he wants.

I found his relationship with Lila very intriguing. Obviously on the surface Lila loves Cassel but it's a false, cursed love. Or is it? As the book progressed, I kept wondering if it really was all down to curse work. But because Holly Black likes to be sneaky, she kept me wondering and the end was so direct and dramatic on Lila's part, that I still have no idea what will happen to them!

Finally, I absolutely adore Holly Black's writing - her story has a real darkness to it but she undercuts it with some dry humour. Here are some examples that I think really give you an insight into her style:

"I thought of how proud he was when he took the marks - cutting the skin of his throat in a long slash and then packing it up with ashes until keloid scars rose up. He called it his second smile."

"Sam frowns at me, suddenly serious. 'You know, I thought- for most of the first year we lived together-that you were going to kill me.'
That makes me nearly spit out my beer, I laugh so hard.
'No look- living with you, it's like knowing there's a loaded gun on the otherside of the room. You're like this leopard who's pretending to be a housecat.'
That only makes me laugh harder."

I really don't have anything bad to say about Red Glove - except that I wish it was longer because I didn't want it to end! Luckily there is going to be a third book called Black Heart. Seriously can't wait to get my hands on it! I hope time flies towards the release date!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic sequel in a unique series, 19 May 2011
It took me an age to read White Cat, and when I eventually got round to it I absolutely loved it. So when I could get the sequel from S&S galleygrab I was thrilled! (cheers Simon&Schuster!!) The book starts with Cassel and his mum pulling cons in Atlantic City. It's obvious Cassel's not feeling too happy with his mum right now, and he's really not getting into the swing of things with her. Eventually he gets to go back to his posh school for senior year. In true Cassel style, the first thing he notices is that a ground floor room will make it easier for him to sneak out. I've never really been enamoured by the idea of a Male narrator, and it's put me off reading a lot of books I'd probably really enjoy. Despite that however, I LOVE Cassel. Not in the sexy way most people seem to, I just really like him as a narrator. I love his moral ambiguity, I find it really refreshing. I'm probably not supposed to say that. A lot of reviewers have been saying they didn't like Lila and the first book, but I actually really did. She was turned into a cat for years, she's bound to come out a bit loopy. I think Holly Black handled her forced infatuation with Cassel really well, it wasn't at all undignified for either of them, yet you really grasped the scope of just how difficult the situation was, especially for Cassel.

I did figure out a lot of the main plot; but I think Holly always adds extra, surprise twists which I find harder to figure out and they're the ones I really enjoy. I've not seen any review even hint at the twist with Daneca's character...does that mean everyone else had her all worked out (forgive the pun, I'm sorry) or that they didn't really think it was a big thing? Eitherway, that knocked me for six. Did not see that coming. And I loved the way it was delivered too.

I enjoyed watching Cassel come to terms with, and investigate his powers, and Holly showed his situation of being stuck between a rock and a hard place exceptionally well. I especially enjoyed the development in his character; the way he was trying to be more open with his friends-it was great to see that.

I give this book 4.5/5 it's extremely enjoyable and overall, the Curseworkers series is, like Holly Black's other works, a refreshing and interesting take on YA fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 16 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Red Glove (The Curse Workers Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This is the second book in the series. It was just as well written and amazing as the first...if not better!! Can't wait for more!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Red Glove (The Curse Workers Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the first book and have now read the entire series. I thought they were all great and I had good fun reading them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked, 14 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Red Glove (The Curse Workers Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Zoomed through the whole book, it's a really good and easy read, I like her style of writing. Definitely recommend the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2015
Excellent part two of this fantastic trilogy.

Red Glove (The Curse Workers Book 2)