5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a Class 10 32 GB Micro SDHC that WORKS!
Published on 24 Nov 2011 by V'ger

1.0 out of 5 stars An obvious fake card. Shame on you Amazon
This review relates to Samsung 32GB class 10 Micro SDHC Essential Memory Card with frustration free packaging, supplied by Amazon.
Published 20 months ago by thePCguy

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a Class 10 32 GB Micro SDHC that WORKS!, 24 Nov 2011
PLEASE NOTE: This review refers to the Samsung _32 GB_ Micro SDHC MB-MSBGAEU _bought directly from AMAZON UK_, and not to any other smaller or different Samsung card sold by any other marketplace seller or even on Amazon. It is important to understand that there are LOTS of fake cards on the market, which might be defective, and other Samsung cards with smaller sizes or different models, which might have completely different performances, so beware what you are buying...!

First things first: as I wrote in my review of a Transcend 8 GB Class 10 SDHC card, I have always been wary of extremely large flash memories, for obvious reasons: unreliability (documented by many Amazon reviewers around the world...), high failure rate, and the extremely likely danger of losing huge amounts of precious data _all at once_, especially when these cards are used for long, sustained data transfers that might raise their temperatures too much...

Moreover, the very high cost of high-capacity, Class 10 Micro SDHC cards _so far_ in my opinion made their purchase not convenient at all...

Nevertheless, in the last year the price of these memories has dropped so much, and their performance and reliability have improved at such a level, that I decided to take the plunge and risk my hard-earned money on this one, since I had decided to transfer my entire, huge collection of thousands on MP3, picture and video files on my Samsung S8500 phone (IMHO a perfect portable multimedia platform to enjoy all such contents).

I chose this specific card not only for obvious compatibility reasons with my phone, but also because Samsung is among the top producers of solid-state memories in the world, and has a proved record of high performance, reliable memories.

Moreover, this is a new product that was supposedly _designed_ to match the features of recent phones, tablets, etc.: it is magnet proof (so no harmful magnetic interference inside the devices), shock proof (so no danger of losing data due to falls, in theory) and even water proof (I hope I will never have to verify that...), and it should provide adequate performances, including a _decent read/write speed with small files_, which is extremely important on such devices, especially if you install system programs/files on the external card instead of the built-in memory, as I do.

So, if you want to know right now how this card behaved in a typical PC benchmark, I tried to use one on the empty card after formatting it on my phone, and I immediately obtained _great_ results, even while using the system, browsing Internet, moving the mouse, etc.: as a matter of fact, the typical test methodologies often assume the absence of any cuncurrent operations, perfectly "clean" systems that _nobody would use_ in the real world, "safe" operations that no real user would probably be able to apply day-to-day, etc., while I always apply a _realistic_ average-user behaviour, instead...

WRITING SPEED (MUCH more important than read speed, since it is the writing speed that can be the real bottleneck of any device, either when you write system files on the card, or if you have to index lots of files, or if you simply want to record movies, music, pictures, etc. on it.)

Approx. 8-10 MB/sec. with files within 7-32 MB sizes (very good, between nominal Class 8 and actual Class 10)
Approx. 4.7 MB/sec. with 256-KB files (again, pretty decent for a card of this class and especially at this very low price...)
Approx. "ONLY" 1 MB/sec. with 32-KB files (BEWARE: this might slow down some systems, but it is quite normal on huge cards with higher classes, since these cards are specifically engineered to provide high speeds _only with larger files_, while smaller cards with lower classes (4 to 6) behave much better with smaller files.

READING SPEEDS
These were really great, IMHO! (And basically matched what was promised by the manufacturer):

Approx. 20 MB/sec. with files of 64 MB size
Approx. 10 MB/sec. with files of 7 MB size
Approx. 16 MB/sec. with files of 256 KB size
Approx. 6.7 MB/sec. with files of 32 KB size (I think this is REALLY good for a Class 10 on such little files...)

Anyway, as I explained in my other review, these "theoretical" results mean almost NOTHING to me, so, I immediately tested the card using the exact same _personal_ REAL-WORLD "torture test" I used with other cards, i.e transferring huge amounts of data of all sorts in read/write modes and simply _timing_ them, and stressing the memory card savagely FROM MY DEVICES, while actually _using_ them.

The results were VERY good, in my opinion, given the prices of this card:

I wrote 10.057 FILES (!) of ALL sizes and kinds, for a combined size of 15.3 GB using a Transcend S5 reader on my PC WHILE USING IT (e-mail, mouse, web, etc.), and it took 29 minutes and 30 seconds, which means a _combined_ _writing_ speed of approx. 8,65 MB/sec. Considering the tons of small system files included in the test, this was a very, very good result, IMHO.

But I was not satisfied, so I immediately deleted everything and transferred approx. 28.8 GB (!) of assorted data, including phone system files, 5000 MP3 and jpeg files of all sizes, _without letting rest the card_, and this took 49 minutes and 32 seconds, which means 9.7 MB/sec., even BETTER THAN THE FIRST RESULT! (This way I also tested the full capacity of the card, which was very important. Please note that the full formatted FAT 32 capacity of this card is approx. 29 GB, not 32, of course).

Finally, with the card almost full, I wrote ALSO a single 816-MB file, and it took slightly more than 100 seconds, which means again 8 MB per second approximately, a consistent result with the previous ones, considering that often the last memory areas of large cards are also the slowest ones.

Therefore, IMHO this card performs consistently as a Class 8-10, and this is much more than I expected at this price range. I installed dozens of games, which worked all flawlessly from the card, and my phone was able to index 5000 mp3 in _thirty seconds_ on it, which is much faster than my previous 16-GB Class 6 card, again a great result.

I also shot an HD video at 1280 x 800 pixels for several minutes, with the card almost full, and it did not show any "hiccups", it never slowed down, and the result was again perfect. (This also depends on the phone, of course, I have no idea how this card would behave in other devices, sorry.)

Naturally, I CANNOT TELL ANYTHING ABOUT THE RELIABILITY OF THIS CARD, for the simple reason that I NEVER used Samsung cards before, this is a brand new product, and it will take _months_ of everyday use to find possibile defects/flaws/issues, of course...

So, the only question is: will it last? Many large flash memories die after a few weeks or months, and only time will tell, so I will update this review immediately in case it dies on me too.

So far, this card proved to be huge bargain, compared to much more costly brands, and it demonstrated once again that you DO NOT ALWAYS NEED to spend a fortune to get great performances; I am crossing my fingers on reliability! ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 6 Dec 2011
This MicroSDHC card is extremely fast and high in capacity for it's size. It even comes with an adapter for easy use with your computer.
Because of it's class ten speed, my smartphone has instant access to files such as games, music, music videos and HD movies without any delays.
This product is an extremely good purchase and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well., 4 Sep 2012
Mr. MJ Turner "Marvellous Marv" (Dagenham, ESSEX, UK) - See all my reviews
I ordered this from Amazon to hopefully avoid the fake ones out there. So far I have been using it in my S3 for photos and videos. It works well. There's not much else I can say. I can't compare it to a fake or rubbish card as I haven't got one.

1.0 out of 5 stars An obvious fake card. Shame on you Amazon, 12 Nov 2012
Being aware of the problems with fake memory cards that appear to be flooding the market at the moment, I chose to buy this Samsung 32GB card direct from Amazon (rather than a marketplace vendor). The card arrived in an unlabelled plastic case which included an adapter to fit a regular SD card slot. The only 'documentation' was a poorly photocopied sheet of paper.
Suspicious at the very unprofessional packaging, I decided to test he card. Plugging it into a PC USB port via an adapter, the card was recognised as a 32GB card. I reformatted it to NTFS and attempted to copy a 25GB video file onto it. The transfer speed was quite impressive at about 14.7MB/sec for continuous transfer. About a third of the way through the transfer, it stopped, with Windows reporting that the card was no longer available. Unplugging and replugging the card made it visible again, but the card appeared empty. I tried again with smaller files: 2.5GB and 7.2GB videos could be copied to the card and played back, but anything larger than 8GB would fail to copy and destroy any existing card contents. I conclude that this is an 8GB card, labelled and hacked to appear as 32GB.
One of the biggest problems here is that a fake card may appear to function perfectly at first. However, once the volume of data stored on the card exceeds its 'real' capacity, there is a high chance that the entire contents of the card will be lost without warning.
I now need to find a reliable source of genuine cards, so I can obtain a replacement. I will definitely be testing any replacements and I would urge other buyers to do the same, especially where the packaging appears suspect.

5.0 out of 5 stars 32 GB Superfast SD Card, 30 Jan 2012
I received the SD card for my Samsung Galaxy S2. Its super fast card compared to other sd cards i had. Shipping was fast and i am very happy with this purchase. Thanks

1.0 out of 5 stars Both have Failed, 2 Jun 2014
Fynt (Merseyside) - See all my reviews
I bought 2 of these - believing them to be class 10 Samsung cards.
One went in my camera with the adaptor and one in my phone - no adapter needed.
Both have appeared to have failed and become corrupted. One month old.
This is not acceptable. These appear to be flaky at best and complete rip off at worst.

Are these legitimate supplies - we hear so much about not buying black market or cheaper replacement goods but when we can't trust a reputable brand product from a reputable brand seller through a reputable and supposedly mediated selling website then its no surprise that grey imports and cheap brand alternatives will be the norm.

Why should I have paid 26 for these when I could have got them both for 10 and they would have been just as reliable - if not better - at least I wouldn't have expected or relied on them to be stable and non corrupted.
Very dodgy - this needs sorting. Poor goods poor quality very bad value - very bad for reputation - very bad for business

4.0 out of 5 stars It worked, then it failed - went read only, replacement working fine, 6 Jun 2012
It arrived promptly, and went in my Galaxy Note; worked fine for a day or two and then the phone said on waking: 'defective SD card' and offered me the chance to reformat it; which I did, then when I tried to mount it the phone wouldn't mount it and said it was 'safe to remove'.
The chip was now read only - so my files were still on it, and undeletable; it wouldn't format either. I tried a different micro SD in the phone and in the adapter and it worked fine in both (could delete files and format the other chip - so that eliminated a problem with the adapter); then put the micro SD into a different adapter (micro SD to USB) and tried again; it was still read only and unformattable.
Tried it in a digital camera which said 'Media defective'.
I did a Google search and found it's quite a common problem, with many 'solutions' offered, none of which worked: the most common being the little switch on the side of the adapter needs to be jammed in the unlock position (of course I tried that); I even tried a Windows registry hack; low level formatters etc. but always got the same message 'the disk is write protected'; anyone else experiencing the same problem I have wasted my time so you don't have to waste yours.
One conclusion of the Google search is that the chip is an inferior copy or a fake, although I'm sure Amazon wouldn't sell such a thing.
Fortunately nothing on it that I wouldn't want someone else to see, just a lot of music.
I have ordered another one, exactly the same as this one. Let's hope it's just a one-off.

Months later...
I received a replacement card of the exact same type and specifications as the original and it's been working fine for four months now. This suggests to me that the original card was faulty; the replacement arrived swiftly and was replaced with no quibbles. Just be careful about putting anything on a card which is your only copy (ie if you are sending your photographs to it ensure that you are also backing them up).

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT CARD FOR MY GALAXY S2, 15 Mar 2012
I was looking for a micro sd card for my Samsung Galaxy S2 and thought I would stick to a card made by the same company as the phone. I use my S2 for the camera and video camera all the time as its so handy when I take my 1 Year old out and about to the park etc I can just take my phone out and snap loads of pictures or take a video clip. I always take loads then delete some and transfer the others to my computer using the adapter which comes with the card. I would buy another if I needed one but I don't think I will be filling this up that quick !!
Also I only just purchased my S2 coming from an iPhone. If you are thinking of changing phones the S2 is so much better. Can you take pictures on your iPhone and upload them by just plugging in the sd card to your computer ? no ! I should have swapped ages ago !

UPDATE - 22/03/2012

The card has wiped all contents and I am not happy. I have formatted the card several ways and it still states it is corrupted. I guess I was the unlucky one ! Will be sending this back and have already ordered a Lexar. Hope I have better luck with that one.

4.0 out of 5 stars HTC Desire Speed Test Result, 20 Jan 2012
Bought this after a dissapointing verbatim class 10 achieved a maximum 7.5mb/s write speed using h2testw_1.4.
So far the read speeds on the samsung have been excellent and the write speeds have been just above class 10 minimum requirement.
Using SD tools app on android 2.3.3 the card achieved an average of 11mb/s write speed and 28mb/s read, so seems to work nicely in the phone.

When i connected the card direct to my pc and run a 1gb file test on h2testw_1.4 it only achieved a speed of 9.53 mb/s write and 15.7mb/s for read.(please note this card has a hidden 1.5gb ext3 partition not visible in windows, hence only 13916mb available):

Warning: Only 1024 of 13916 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 9.53 MByte/s

Sequential Read = 16.34 MB/s Write = 13.18 MB/s
512k random Read = 16.33 MB/s Write = 2.235 MB/s
Random 4kb queue depth 1 Read = 3.308 MB/s Write = 0.022 MB/s
Random 4kb queue depth 32 Read = 3.450 MB/s Write = 0.018 MB/s

When transferring a 350mb video file the card averaged a write speed of 11mb/s.

I think the not so great speed results are probably down to the quality of my card readers.
As the card's primary function is for use in my phone, the most important speeds are those achieved within the device. So although the write speed isn't as high as i'd hoped for, the read speeds are well above the class 10 required minimum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent memory, 16 Sep 2011
This review is from: Samsung 8GB Class 10 Micro SDHC Extreme Speed Card (Accessory)
Bought this memory to replace the standard supplied SD memory card that came with my Blackberry 9300 Curve 3G phone and it works excellently. Recognised without problems and quiet fast transfer rate, 8,40-8,50 mb/s transferring music albums from my pc directly to the card inside my phone, connecting phone via USB to pc. Also via bluetooth, no problems and fast transfer.
In all, excellent memory card for an excellent price.