Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

He's After Me
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£4.49

Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was hooked from the start. The moment Jem and Anna meet at the start of the book I knew I wasn't going to put it down.

You begin to enter the world of Anna, like any normal teenage girl, just with some family issues going on. But when Anna meets Jem, he becomes her way out of reality and life. She becomes lost and infatuated with the mysterious Jem and we as the reader do too. It's hard not to, a dark handsome mystery guy and any girl is sure to swoon. And Anna does.

We witness a whirlwind romance of first love which is beautifully written, making you feel that the world that Anna and Jem have created with their love is what can get them by. Reality is a sure fire way to kick this in the teeth though and we feel the shock ourselves when we read it. When everything comes crashing down on Anna and she starts to see Jem in a different light we would be forgiven for thinking that she has come to her senses about him.

But with all kinds of first love, they are hard to give up. It is clear though that Jems influence on Anna is more deep seated than simple love and we see Jem finally, and somewhat, sadly for who he really is.

The ending, is powerful and intense and you will be left looking at the page, asking if it all really happened and ended that way, long after you have read the final words.

One of the most true to life books about young love I have read, bittersweet in both its reality and power, it really is one not to be missed.

Cassandra220689
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Nicely paced, tense little book that I devoured in two sittings. Although I usually loathe present-tense stories I fell into this one like Alice down the rabbit hole and didn't even notice after a while.

After shaking my head at dismay at the awful 'romances' released these days, marketed at teen girls and featuring condescending, controlling, stalkerish, bipolar love interests who we are supposed to swoon over rather than wanting to file restraining orders, it's really refreshing to read this captivating little warning tale of a girl who gets mixed up with a mysterious stranger, only to have him draw her away from her friends and family and slowly poison her life. Please can this be recommended reading for all Twi-hards?

The story is tight, the characters likeable (even if you do want to slap the main character every so often for being so darn naive) and well developed, and the twist at the end which will shock many readers was greatly appreciated by this one. There's no particular beauty in this book - no Nabokovian language so luxuriant you'll find yourself doubling back just to read it again - but it was gripping enough to hold me spellbound as the girl is drawn deeper and deeper towards self-destruction with this clearly dangerous man, and did have that rare feel of actually being written by a teenager, instead of a middle aged mother trying to sound like one.

Recommended if you like your YA reads quick, thrilling, and realistic rather than happy-ever-after.
on 4 April 2012
When I picked up this book I didn't have high hopes for it, I just assumed it would be a quick and easy read. I was totally wrong.

Even from the first chapter I was captivated, I felt a real connection to Anna as she experiences a typical teenage life. I'm certain there is an aspect of Anna's life that every teen will be able to relate to. Even from the beginning you get a real feel for Anna, you understand her life and it's easy to see how she's so drawn to Jem. Even if some of her decisions annoyed me I could see her point of view as she is controlled by Jem; his good looks, his loving nature, everything about him.

The way Jem has a section of words after nearly every chapter gave the book elements of originality and sent chills down my spine as some of the stuff that was worded could be contradicting to a whole chapter.

I loved the way the author had the ability to make the reader have a great understanding of the characters, she made it possible to love and hate certain elements of every character in the book. The author kept great pacing throughout the book. The way in which certain things were suddenly made clear worked really well, for example the ability to understand much of Jem's dialogue is challenging at first but as the chapters unfold there is the reference back to the dialogue and you get the feeling of 'Oh, I understand now!'

I have to say the reason I have not given it five stars. The ending. I don't want to spoil the book for anyone but the ending had me a little confused, it was just so... short. I felt the book had been leading up to this certain moment in Livi and Anna's life and I thought a chapter or two to describe the outcome was a little rushed and left me feeling slightly cheated and disappointed. I had just read hundreds of pages for that short ending? It didn't seem right. I loved the purpose of the ending however, it was a strong conclusion to the book which worked well and certainly used the element of surprise - absolutely nothing about this book or ending was predictable.

Unlike many stories this book left me thinking. It made me realise how much there really is to life; how much you take for granted until it's gone. I thought this was a fantastic moral and this book certainly had an impact on me.

When you pick this book up don't think of it as a quick read like I did. You will find yourself captivated throughout like I was, I finished the book within hours and would not put it down until It was finished, every ending of a chapter was a cliff hanger. I highly recommend this book for those who like romance, drama, horror and of course the element of surprise!
VINE VOICEon 18 September 2011
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the first time I have read anything by Chris Higgins and I must say I wasn't in the least bit disappointed.

Writing about teenagers can be complicated but I think the nail was hit on the head with this one as I sort of reminds me of my first teenage love. You can become slightly obsessed and lose yourself in the relationship.

This book was a page turner and I found it so gripping and exciting that I had a hard time putting it down.

Jem is a mystery and I loved trying to figure out what he was up to and who he really was.

Disclaimer: I was sent this book from Amazon.co.uk for review. I have not been paid for reviewing this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.
on 30 January 2014
That was amazing. I was holding my breath at every chapter, if you like to read long reviews, here's one. This book is amazing and shows the way love at first sight can change what you think of people. I have read the day I met suzie and that is a story of manipulation and terrorism. This book is an inspirational read for 14+, although I am eleven, but it is a bit scary and explains tangled relationships. Chris Higgins has written two of my favourite books ever an I would definitely recommend it to people. I really hope a new one is published soon. Thank you Chris Higgins.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It is clear that the author knows adolescent children. The book was unusual and well written. It was gripping from the start. Sadly, I didn't find that it continued to grip. My attention began to wander. The characters were described well, but that of Jem seemed to come in and out of focus. I think this was probably the author's intent, but it didn't always work for me. I felt disconnected. In spite of this, I would recommend this as a book that will be enjoyed by girls aged 15 - 17. It carries all the elements that will appeal, romance, drama and horror.
on 17 July 2013
I think this is a very extraordinary book,full of excitement,tension and fun...and love.

With Jem it's quite hard to understand what's going on,you get hints,but you just can't quite understand exactly what goes on until the end.

With Anna it's interesting to see who she believes,who she trusts,and who she Is worthy too.

Overall this book is different and unpredictable and makes you cling on too the edge of your seat,it's interesting,it's original...he's after me.
on 13 June 2013
Not gonna lie... I found it a bit creepy. But I read it in a day which, to me, is evidence of a good read. I literally could not put it down. Already recommending it to my friends. Oh and if you are under 13 I don't advise you to read it yet. I'm 16 and it hit me hard. Loved it.
on 28 September 2012
I thought this book was brilliant im not much of a big reader myself well to be honest i really don't enjoy reading at all, but this book had me gripped from the fist page it was a great story line, just an amazing book to read i loved it. I would really recomend it to people!
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I like a book that grabs your interest from the first page and this does just that.

Anna is a teenage girl with some family issues and then meets Jem who is her escape but she becomes obsessed with him, gets behind with her studies and we have a romance on our hands (from the text "and so love's arrow finds its target. And she seemed such a sensible girl too, not the kind to lose her head over some bloke. That's love for you"). When reality kicks in, we and Anna are taken by complete surprise as we start to see Jem for what he really is. He always seems to be there, how's that?

I couldn't put this book down and was sorry when I'd finished it. It left me thinking WOW I didn't expect that! The chapters are just the right length especially if you're on a short journey or lunch break.

I will certainly look out for further books by Chris Higgins.