5.0 out of 5 stars Let me touch your mind, 2 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Workin' Together / Let Me Touch Your Mind (Audio CD)
For the first time ever released on CD. Includes "Popcorn", "Annie had a baby", "Help Him" and "Early one morning".
Also includes the album "Workin' together" which includes the duo's top ten single "Proud Mary" and the club hit "Funkier than a mosquito's tweeter" written by Tina's sister Aillene Bullock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ike and Tina Turner - Workin' Together, 23 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Workin' Together / Let Me Touch Your Mind (Audio CD)
Unbelievably this record took far longer than it should have done to find its way in to my own collection. Unbelievably because it's awesome. Released in 1970 on Liberty Records, Workin' Together is a cool blend of funk, soul and rock `n roll - opening with the peace anthem after which the album takes its name, taking in a couple of much improved Beatles covers (Get Back and Let It Be), a total tune penned by Tina's sister in Funkier than a Mosquito's Tweeter, and all while working its way towards a blistering cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival's Proud Mary.

I don't know what took me so long. I think that perhaps in my youthful impatience I skipped forward to Proud Mary (being a fan of the original) and was immediately deterred by the plodding intro without waiting for the tune to totally kick off as it does half way through - a point at which Tina literally jumps up, grabs you tightly by the ears, bellows in your face and forces you to dance like a startled cat. Not literally. But near enough.

Or maybe it's because when I was younger and more musically self conscious, I couldn't reconcile the young sexy looking Tina of the album's front cover with the big-haired shoulder pad wearing mums' favourite from the 80's - singer of the ego-inflating (well, presumably if it's being sung at you) Simply The Best, and star of Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (the weakest of the Mad Max films in my opinion - replacing the Ozzie-Michael-York-lookalike-vs-a-WWF-wrestler-flatteringly-named-Humongous shenanigans of Mad Max 2 with children, farmyard animals and a bizarre reappearance of Bruce Spence's character under a different name and equipped with a different but equally precarious looking flying contraption). The two Tinas are one and the same though and I'm even a fan of the latter day Tina now - ever since my band The UNoR covered Simply the Best to a "rapturous" reception while dedicating it to my mates Will and Andys' mum.

It's really hard to pick my stand-out track from this album, making it tricky to decide which to add to the parent core playlist this week. However it's definitely between Get You When I Want You, Funkier than a Mosquito's Tweeter and Proud Mary. It'll probably end up being Proud Mary, given its ability to transform the dance floor at a party into a place full of hollering, boogying, smiling funk-heads.

And finally, it's worth pointing out that the original 1970's album cover is way better than the artwork from the more recently re-issued CD. This is mainly because Ike is far less prominent on the original. And as we all know, Ike is a total cu......

[...]

Workin' Together / Let Me Touch Your Mind
Workin' Together / Let Me Touch Your Mind by Ike & Tina Turner (Audio CD - 2011)