5.0 out of 5 stars Fast if you know what you are doing.
This SSD is an excellent piece of kit.

The OCZ Vertex 3 is compact and will fit into any 2.5 inch laptop and comes with an adapter to allow you to mount it in a 3.5 inch bay on a PC.

Published on 16 Dec 2011 by Mr. K. Griffiths

3.0 out of 5 stars Not problem free
Published on 13 Jun 2012 by odomok

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast if you know what you are doing., 16 Dec 2011
Mr. K. Griffiths (UK) - See all my reviews
This SSD is an excellent piece of kit.

You need to update the firmware on the drive before installing your OS by downloading it off OCZ's website. The drive is then quick and easy to install and windows 7 installs with no problems as long as you are using the P67 chipset or later with Native SATA 6Gbps (SATA 3). Once the drive has been installed there are some things you need to make sure that windows has disabled or the drives performance will be reduced. The following should be turned off or disabled; Scheduled Difragmentation (Allowing Defragmentation may decrease the lifespan of the drive), Superfetch, Prefetch, bootfetch and Drive Indexing as an SSD has no need for them.

Once the following where turned off the drive can achieve its full speed and gives excellent performance.

Pros:
Very fast drive
3.5 inch mounting bracket
Silent
Well built
3 Year Warranty

Cons:
Need to update firmware before installing OS
Requires the user to tweak windows to get the drive up to full performance
Very basic instructions
Expensive - But in my opinion well worth it if you want that kind of speed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast!!!, 1 May 2011
I upgraded from Vertex 2 and while not being life changing as the move from hdd to ssd you can definitely feel the improved speed. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars SSD compared to HDD, 31 Aug 2011
This review is from: OCZ VTX3-25SAT3-60G 60GB Vertex SATA III Internal 2.5 Inch SSD (Personal Computers)
This came in the stated time from lambda-tek. Well packaged and great condition. I bought this 60gb primarily to use as a software storage, i.e OS and web browser etc. Its so much faster than the HDD to boot my system. I've put most of the sofware I need on it and still have 25gb remaining for future installments. I ensured that I choose the vertex 3 as it was also SATA 3. I love this drive and would recommend it to anyone who wants to speed their boot, shut down and overall system performance. If you are running windows 7 then this should take care of all the settings like, superfetch, prefetch, ready boost and disable derfrag settings for this drive. I'm unsure if TRIM is availible on other operating systems but if this the case there are some good sites to view instructions of doing this. Also it improves performance of this drive when you enable AHCI from both windows 7 and Bios, this will change the controller from IDE to AHCI. Hope this helps!

Also this SSD come with the mounting bracket. I read in some of the other reveiws on other SSD's that the mounting bracket had to be brought seperately, Although I have seen people using double sided on SSD's, as its not mechanical and doesnt move. But I think personally it needs to be secure as of all drives.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not problem free, 13 Jun 2012
I bought this item to rescue a failing harddrive containing a Ubuntu 10.04 distribution. Due to a lack of 6GB Sata Ports on my motherboard, and no free x4 PCIe slot I had to use a 3GB Sata port. The SSD consistently failed to work reliably on the motherboard ports, typically either saying the partition did not exist, or was not recognisable and in one case giving me an extra partition I had not created. It would usually fail half way through a benchmark read test. Eventually problem solved by installing a JMicron 3GB Sata card in a spare x1 PCIe slot.

I would also caution anyone thinking of buying this NOT to take up Amazon's 'suggestion' that you also purchase an adaptor to mount this unit in a standard 3.5" slot. I nearly did this at a cost of 6 when in fact the SSD comes with an adaptor pre-packaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Road runner., 29 Dec 2011
S. MERMIER (UK) - See all my reviews
Used the SSD as part of a Z68 set up, quite difficult to get right but when you do its amazingly fast. Only critisme is that the drive doesn't have locking sata and power cables they just stay in by the grace of god (and some cable ties).

4.0 out of 5 stars Superfast, but..., 24 Jun 2011
I give only four stars, because it's a little bit unstable: the disk freezes occasionally and has given me one BSOD. I have spent a lot of time in the OCZ Forum trying to find answers to my questions, some problems have been solved, some don't. The most annoying problem has been freezing, so I tell you now: disable hibernation right away and enable (in BIOS) hot swap/hot plug to all disk ports you have, thus you avoid many swetty situations trying to figure out what's freezing the disk. Also update your firmware immediately (instructions on the OCZ Forum). I've tried to update mine but I haven't succeeded yet; the instructions won't apply in my computer and I can't figure out why not. But still, Vertex3 is a disk of my dreams: The Atto benchmark result: read 557MB/s, write 527MB/s.
Edit: After many many firmware updates it works just fine, and I can recommend it for anyone who needs a quick SSD. But I hope, that OCZ has learned it's lesson.

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say, it is OCZ after all, 3 Feb 2013
This SSD is way better than the various crucial equivalent. It is faster, it performs great and is a truly solid product. OK that price is not always the best, any pennies extra you spend on OCZ is normally worth it.

I got 3 separate OCZ drives which runs different operating systems for testing purposes and I have never had issues with any of these disks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant peice of tecnology, 28 Feb 2012
I bought this SSD for my new PC build put with Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz and Intel i5 quad core 2500k CPU this thing produces extremely good data transfer rates you cant go wrong with this Drive a true Bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars ssd, 20 Feb 2012
wow what a difference this little drive makes but it is full up now could of used a larger one but it makes the computer fly I have to install most of my things to my d drive but windows is up and I am on the internet in 1 minute and 10 seconds this drive comes with a 2.5 converter so it will fix into the drive bay but it was no good for my bay just taped it on the bottom of the case it worked

2.0 out of 5 stars Fast but kept reseting, 5 Aug 2011
Mr R (London. UK) - See all my reviews
I like the speed of the drive but every time it was powered up the system rebooted and when I added a second disk (120GB version) the disk would not become visible until I swapped the SATA cables over. I purchased new cables but it still rebooted itself every time.

I have returned it and purchased the Corsair Force 3 version.

Also I found OCZ support to be quite poor.

Update ======================================

I have used the Corsair Force 3 all day and I have had no problems with it.

I have been running the Force 3 drive for 2 weeks and it has been problem free.