4.0 out of 5 stars Elos vs IPL
Published 17 months ago by Yankeeeee

1.0 out of 5 stars homedics
the cartridge only lasted 3 weeks which was very disappointing. The charge went from 100% to zero didnt go down the scale
Published 13 days ago by patsy cartwright

4.0 out of 5 stars Elos vs IPL, 30 Oct 2012
Yankeeeee (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Homedics Me My Elos Permanent Hair Removal System (Personal Care)
Never heard of this brand but thought I'd try and compare it to the other brands available. Having previously owned a Philips lumea, I was interested to see how this item compared. In terms of effectiveness I would say its slightly better, using elos technology rather than IPL. it seems better at removing hairs and a lot quicker. The downside appears to be the need to replace the cartridges used by this system. Which one you choose would come down to how much money you have available to spend on hair removal. Obviously how many cartridges you go through depends on how often you use it, but I noticed the cartridges ran out quicker than anticipated.
This item feels well made and feels durable, is easy to use and effective ... But would work out more expensive in the long run. If that's ok with you, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars New Lease of life, 20 Oct 2012
I absolutely love this product, as a sufferer of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome I have suffered for years with excessive ( and I mean excessive) facial hair..... at one point was even contemplating suicide because I could not cope any longer after years of electrolysis did absolutely nothing..... then I discovered Laser Hair removal and I can honestly say my life changed overnight..... I was spending shed loads of money on treatments but it was well worth it. Then I discovered My Elos and thought I'd give it a try ..... No more going to salons for treatments I can do this in less than 5 minutes in the comfort of my own home YIPPEEEEEE !!

You have to realise this is not an instant remedy as it is only effective on the hair that is in the growing stage and hair growth has 3 different stages..... give it time and persist with the treatments though and believe me it is a life saver !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quartz upgrades now available..., 3 Dec 2012
stylepuppy (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First thing to mention about the me-my-elos are the cartridges, which represent a significant ongoing cost - the standard cartridges (there's one included in this pack) last for 5,400 flashes. On the medium brightness setting the cartridge flashes approximately once per second and that means they're good for around 90 minutes of continual use on that setting. BUT - there are new cartridges soon to be available called 'Quartz' cartridges and they last for 100,000 flashes before needing replaced and obviously this is a massive improvement. These new Quartz cartridges are not yet available to buy on their own (that I can find), but you can now buy the Quartz version of this me-my-elos unit which comes complete with the new Quartz cartridge. There's no indication yet of how much the individual Quartz cartridges will cost, but the updated version of the entire machine isn't any more expensive than this standard one (at full retail price) so maybe the cartridges are similar in price too? My guess is that Homedics might be holding back the Quartz 100,000-flash cartridges until current stocks of the standard 5,400-flash versions sell out, but I don't know that for sure.

The second thing to mention is how easy this unit is to use. The me-my-elos flashes automatically at regular intervals so you use it like a shaver or epilator, slowly moving it slowly across your skin. Note that on the Low brightness setting the cartridge flashes quickly (about twice per second) and flashes more slowly on the High setting (about once every 2 seconds) so you have to try and match the speed of your movement with the speed of the flashes to ensure you don't miss any area. However, this is still much more convenient than other IPL units that require you to 'flash-hop-flash-hop' the unit across the skin. There are only 3 different strengths of light setting, maybe because the Elos system also uses radio waves to achieve results, and even the brightest setting seems to be less powerful than other units. This means it's virtually pain-free in use, even for men who might have denser or thicker hair to treat, because there's less tendency for hair to burn on the surface of the skin. The handset has two connection slots, one for the Elos head itself and the other for either of the optional Shaver Attachments or Epilator Attachments. I haven't tried these but in theory they'd allow you to shave and then zap unwanted body-hair in a single action.

We haven't had the me-my-elos long enough to judge final effects - we're about 4 weeks in and hair is starting to look patchy, this usually happens in the early stages of IPL treatment and so is encouraging. However, if it turns out to be truly effective then it's the best and easiest-to-use IPL-based device we've tried yet. The current cost of cartridges is a killer but hopefully the Quartz versions will solve that problem when they're available.

UPDATE: The longer-life Quartz cartridges are now available to buy from Boots priced at 150, although not cheap this is still considerably better value than repeatedly buying the standard 5400-flash cartridges. Our bundled 5,400-flash cartridge is now depleted and although the unit seems to be working it's quite slow to take effect compared to other IPL units. We've got no plans to buy any more of the standard cartridges, they're over-priced considering how long they last, but we'll reconsider it now the Quartz cartridges are available. It's just a shame they don't seem to be available from Amazon...

4.0 out of 5 stars Works! But not as effective as salon lasers, 12 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As somebody with fairly abundant dark hair, the traditional methods of hair removal aren't really an option for me. Shaving and depilatory creams leave me with stubble after one day, and waxing and epilation is painful, takes ages, and still only leaves me hair free for about a week.

A few years ago, in desperation, I turned to laser hair removal. I have never looked back. I have had some laser hair removal in a salon and have also used numerous home devices. Of the home devices I have used, which include the Philips Lumea SC2001/00 IPL Intense Pulsed Light Hair Removal System and the TRIA Permanent Hair Removal Laser System, the Elos system is the best.

Using the Elos can be a little fiddly. There are several buttons, some in rather counter intuitive places, and to make the device work you have to keep your thumb on the touch sensitive pad at all times which really can be a little awkward. However, once you get into the swing of using the machine, you can cover quite a large area of skin quickly. The size of the laser window is larger than other home systems I've used and the handset isn't too heavy, unlike some home device which can leave you with an aching wrist. I didn't find the procedure painful at all. As someone with pale skin and dark hair I used the highest power setting, and all I felt was a slight warmth.

I have used the system for a few weeks now and there is definitely a reduction in the amount of hair on the areas I have treated. The hair that has grown back is softer and lighter than the surrounding hair, and much hasn't grown back at all. For a home system, this is a great result.

However, I cannot stress enough that it is no comparison to laser hair removal in a salon. Home systems are simply not as powerful or as effective at permanently reducing the amount of body hair. Yes, using a salon laser is painful and expensive, but the results are second to none. With eight treatments spaced a month apart using a salon laser, the Candela GentleMax, I have gone from somebody with thick, dark, unmanageable body hair to somebody with just a few fine, light strands of hair in the areas I have had treated. In my experience, home systems do not yield anywhere near the same results unless used indefinitely every month or so.

For women with a serious body hair problem, I would recommend salon laser treatment every time. It's worth saving for and I can truly say it has changed my life. However, the Elos is a great option for women who are set on home laser hair removal. It is effective with ongoing usage, it isn't painful, it is pretty quick to use, and it is inexpensive for a machine of its type. However, beware! The laser cartridges themselves will need to be replaced after about 90 minutes of continuous use, and they aren't cheap.

1.0 out of 5 stars homedics, 3 April 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars Not your usual IPL hair remover...and not very cost effective!, 27 Jan 2013
South Londoner (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for the wife so will hand over to her for the review:

Dearest husband has gotten me several of these through the Vine Program (Is he trying to tell me something, do you think?)but this is probably my least favourite of the bunch so far.

It is slightly different to most other Intense Pulsed Light(IPL) systems in that the instructions state it uses a combination of IPL and Radio Frequency (RF) to create heat which destroys/damages hair follicles without frying your skin.

The differences between Me My Elos system and many other systems are several:
1. You can use it on dark skin, although the instructions say it cannot be used on "black/very dark skin"
2. You can treat a single area more than once in a sitting although you must wait 10 seconds to re-treat an area. Most other systems are clear you cannot go over the same area in the same sitting.
3. You can remove the hair from the root (plucking, waxing, epilating) when using this system, in fact, the homedics website seels an epilator attachment-more about this later- whereas with most other systems you can only shave the areas to be treated over the weeks/months the area is being treated.
4. The cartridge has a finite lifespan (another reviewer has explained more about this), but again the homedics website handily sells them if new ones are needed.
5. This system can be used on the face-many other systems say they cannot be used on the face or have a seperate attachment for the face.

The cartridge I got has a lifespan of of 5400 pulses. I have used it for approximately 45 minutes altogether and it is now 80% full. This seems a bit of a nonsense as I have other systems whose cartridges do not have a lifespan listed (although I am sure they won't last forever) but have lasted a lot longer than this one is likely to last. My cynical brain is wondering if this is a way that homedics have of making more money off you once you have bought this. The replacement cartridges (from their website) are 39.99 each, as is the epilator and the shaving attachment.I haven't bought either the epilator or shaving attachment so can't comment on these.

It is not handsfree, which means you can remove hair for as long as you want to as long as the unit remains plugged in (my favourite one is handsfree but the only downside is the battery lasts 35 minutes after which it needs charging and it cannot be used while plugged in).

The unit itself is easy to use. If held correctly against the skin, it pulses continuously and one simply has to move the hand held attachment over the skin. It has settings for skin colour (high, medium and low) and the light pulses more frequently the lower the setting. It is the least painful system I have used, although it is also the least effective in terms of removing the hair. It does remove it, but you need to go over each area several times and in several sessions-more than I have had to with other systems. Considering the lifespan of the cartridge, it is therefore not the most cost-effective option. I would recommend it if you are particularly pain sensitive (although I must say, the systems that are more effective don't really hurt at all) and very patient!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact And Very Functional., 25 Oct 2012
Scott "A Likely Lad" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well I think most people considering buying this item will already know what it's purpose is, what it's meant to do. So I'll mostly avoid that side of it and concentrate simply on the item itself.

NOTE:

THIS IS NOT A FULL REVIEW OF THE ITEM'S EFFICIENCY AS IT TAKES UP TO THREE WEEKS FOR THE EFFECTS TO BE NOTICED. I WILL RETURN AFTER THAT TIME TO UPDATE THE INFORMATION.

The machine end of the device is roughly the size of an electric razor which is attached via a fixed power lead to the main power unit itself, the actual handheld unit sits in a kind of docking port or cradle and looks very snug indeed.

The power unit has power buttons which offer various degrees of intensity such as High, Medium or Low. There is also an error indicator included, all buttons are touch sensitive.

The hand unit itself comes with a detachable battery charger which offers several thousand 'blast' of light to complete the hair removal before running out. Now this has both good and bad points about.

The bad: The battery cannot be recharged, it must be replaced completely and they are quite expensive but can be bought here on Amazon.

The good: My wife has had an earlier version of this type of device before and although it worked very well it did eventually suffer a fault, now it had it's flash unit integrated into the machine itself, it was part of the whole and when it malfunctioned that was the end of the unit's life, with a detachable cartridge unit the longevity of the hand held machines is secure, you just replace the battery, so theoretically the machine should last a lot longer.

There is a cartridge indicator on the main cradle that tells you in percentage terms how much juice is left in it.

The item comes with a screen protector which does exactly that, it blocks looks after the flash are of the cartridge when not in use to avoid scratching or marking.

Now, according to my wife the flash can be a little hot and there can be a slight electrical shocking effect, it's very minor but it is there and worth pointing out. The flash itself is also bright and in the days of epileptic fits being caused by such things there is included a pair of eye shields, unfortunately the down side is that one can't see through them so the trick is to activate the unity and then quickly pull the shields up over the eyes to avoid the flash.

There is the usual user booklet or usage guide and a guarantee and the whole thing is very attractively packaged in a lovely looking square box, it would make a fantastic Christmas present that's for sure.

As I said, this is just part of my review to describe the item and I will return to talk about the effectiveness or it when the effects and results are know in about three weeks. The five stars awarded so far are for the machine itself, the eventual scoring outcome may be reduced once it's know for sure how good the performance is three weeks.

So, see you then.

UPDATE:

Despite my reasons for waiting until I've seen the effects, it seems as if some people can't wait or understand the need for a pause in the review, so be it, here is the verdict.

My wife and daughters loved it. They had an older and different model which they thought was good but the three of them rate this new one over that.

The initial six to seven weeks preparation treatment for the procedure went smoothly, the effects of which I described above. The time since the last treatment has been about two weeks, and none of them have complained about hair growing back just yet. This tends to support the claim that once the initial treatment phase is over then it only requires a once a month usage to maintain the smoothness of the skin and the effectiveness of the machine.

According to them all, it's worked a treat and if it's satisfied three ladies who are very particular about beauty and cosmetics then it can only be a good thing.

My wife and daughters represent the everyday woman and I would think their approval of the product and it's effectiveness would be echoed by millions of other women worldwide.

Based on their comments then, I have no hesitation in recommending this device as a wonderful, functional and easy to use piece of kit.

It does exactly what it says on the tin and all you ladies out there will love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still waiting for any visible results.., 20 Nov 2012
Have used the device 5 times. Hair still growing but seems to be getting softer ...really like the product and it is easy to use. Just hope it will deliver what it says on the label..

5.0 out of 5 stars Really works!!, 18 Jan 2013
I bought this months ago and wanted to give a fair go before writing a review. After hours of research I settled on the homedics due to its dual combination of IPL and RF.
I am of Asian decent and have medium dark skin with thick black hair. I've had laser hair removal from salons before and after paying for 8 sessions and then several top ups, I was still left with unwanted hair. I used the Homedics on all my unwanted body hair (there's alot!) and it has significantly reduced my hair growth. I used it as instructed, starting off with weekly sessions and then reducing it as time went on because I didn't need to use it as often. I can't say the hair removal is permanent, but I have noticed that even the fine hairs are totally gone and I don't need to touch anything for over 4-5 weeks (this is a massively long time, as when I was getting my legs waxed I would get hair growth within 5 days)!
Overall I am very impressed and this has been a very successful fuzz free mission :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money spent on cartridges, 19 Oct 2012
Very simple to use. No fuss, no gels. Works a lot better in some areas than others.
I found it painless and easy to use. Expensive but well worth paying to use in the privacy of your own home.
It's really disappointing how quickly these replacement cartridges run out. They should have more pulses as this is something you will have to buy continuously in order to keep up hair removal/slow down regrowth.
I have to continue buying this although I will be starting my 9th cartridge soon, I am nowhere near where I would like to be and still have a long way to go. All patch free areas reappear if I do not continue using these cartridges which is fairly disheartening.
A cartridge lasts about 3/4 of a 30-40minute session