4.0 out of 5 stars Characters are still with me!
Honor's story in England starts with being rescued by her knight in shining armour - which I absolutely loved! It was so unusual that it hooked me in. Honor is suffering from jet lag and falls asleep in the sun - so although Martyn rescues her, it's all seen from a dream-like perspective.

The bungalow Honor is renting is owned by Martyn's `sister', Clarissa...
Published on 1 Jun. 2011 by Shazjera

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet story, bit disappointing
I was full of hope for this book but although I quite enjoyed it and read to the end, I was left with the feeling that it lacked depth, and I'm afraid that for me the twist didn't work because I'd guessed that very early on. The writer has taken trouble over making the Brighton setting authentic, and it works. Honor is a feisty, likeable character but she's the best of...
Published on 10 July 2012 by Charlotte M.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Characters are still with me!, 1 Jun. 2011
Shazjera - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Paperback)

The bungalow Honor is renting is owned by Martyn's `sister', Clarissa. Through Clarissa and Martyn's interaction we get the picture that Martyn is not doing much with his life.

From the beginning we see the spark between Honor and Martyn sizzle. They are getting to know each other, sharing backgrounds and experiences but before things can get too hot, Martyn finds out that Honor is married. Having been recently tangled up in a love triangle, Martyn backs off and refuses to take notice of his desires (well, he takes note of them but doesn't act on them!).

On their first run together we meet Robina from a distance. Robina owns the local teashop and is infatuated with Martyn to the point where she is stalking him. Things get complicated when Honor gets a job working for her.
Honor takes Robina's son Rufus under her wing, interceding when the local bully is making Rufus' life hard.

Honor comes across as quite a strong character from the beginning - although we may get a different perspective from her relationship with her American husband Stef, I felt she was the strong one who gave stability and responsibility to that relationship. In England, she doesn't get pulled in by a local when she's looking for work, stands up for Rufus and deals with Martyn's drunk agent with strength and dignity. Honor is a very generous and thoughtful character but I did think that sometimes she put everyone's needs before her own. Honour does grow with the things she comes to realise. I enjoy seeing lead female characters grow into their own skin.

Martyn is ...................hot ................. ! not only he is very male but he's also in touch with his feminine side (he thinks about things, takes note of body language and uses his intuition!) What a very attractive combination ...................... He shows his weakness at times and we get the full force of his anger.

I enjoyed the build-up of their relationship including their thoughts as well as their actions. They seem to fit very well together as a couple - Martyn virile and protective while Honor is independent but melting. A blending of yin and yang.

Stef (Honor's husband) intrigued me from the beginning, I wanted to find out from the hints what had actually happened and what type of a person he was. I must admit that when we do get to meet him I didn't like him at all and it was easy to see how Honor could really come into her own while she was in England.

I enjoyed all the feelings we get to experience and loved the humour too. There were times when I couldn't help a chuckle from escaping.

When it was time for the big reveal - I was so stunned (probably more than Martyn!) - I had to read it again, although it made absolute sense I hadn't seen it coming. I loved that about this story.

Sue Moorcraft has crafted a tale that will hold your interest through the strength of her characters and how they interact. The sub-plots and plot will keep you intrigued and wanting to read on to find out more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant Summer read, 2 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Choc Lit) (Kindle Edition)
Honour (freedom) Sontag has moved to Eastingdean from America to make a
fresh start and get her life back in order. She is renting a bungalow
for 4 months, from Clarisa; she is hoping to find the mother that
abandoned her at birth. Honour is jet lagged and falls asleep in the
sun, she is woken up by Martyn Mayfair she has bad sunburn so meets the
Doctor (Zoe martyn's sister), although there are lots of Mayfair's in
Eastingdean. Honour finds herself a job and begins to settle down. Is
Honour falling for Martyn? Does she find her Mum?
I loved this book from the lovely cover to the end, I couldn't put it
down it was very easy to read and follow, I would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than ever, 13 July 2011
Minskip (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Paperback)
I've read all of Sue Moorcroft's novels and enjoyed each one. But Love and Freedom has to be her best yet. I loved it, from the evocative descriptions of Brighton, to the colourful characters and humour. And what a hero, certainly one to set readers' hearts beating. Pacy, romantic, with an intriguing American heroine. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely summer read and a great love story, too., 13 July 2011
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Choc Lit) (Kindle Edition)
I'm a big fan of Sue Moorcroft and have read all her books, but this one is my favourite. It's about what happens when feisty but vulnerable American Honor Sontag comes to the UK to sort out her feelings about her marriage and to look for her birth mother.

Arriving in Brighton in the middle of an English summer (the sun is hot enough to burn one minute and hiding behind the biggest, blackest rain clouds the next) Honor doesn't expect or even want to fall in love. But when she meets gorgeous male model Martyn Mayfair, she finds she can't help herself.

Martyn has issues with his family, and he has also made a private promise to himself never to get involved with a married woman. Honor finds herself getting tangled up in the various strands of Martyn's life and sometimes wishing she'd never met him, but not for long!

This story is full of twists and turns and clever plotting. It kept me guessing throughout, wondering if Martyn and Honor would ever find happiness - on page 290 (out of 320) it looks as if everything has gone completely pear-shaped - but it all works out in the end in the most ingenious way.

A gorgeous, intelligent, occasionally difficult but invariably lovable hero made this novel for me, because I fell for Martyn as easily as Honor did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!!, 30 Jun. 2011
P. C. Fenton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Paperback)
'Love & Freedom' is one of those books which you simply can't put down. You are into the story from page one and from then on, it won't let go of you. I couldn't wait to see what would happen, but at the same time I felt totally bereft once I'd finished because I didn't want to leave these characters. They stay in your mind for days afterwards! The American heroine Honor is refreshing and immensely likeable, the secondary characters well drawn, especially the teenage boy Rufus (whom you just want to hug!). The main attraction (quite literally) however, is the hero Martyn who takes the expression "tall, dark and handsome" to a whole new level and from the moment he walked onto the page, I fell in love. I didn't think any hero could surpass Ratty from 'Starting Over', but now I'm not so sure. Martyn is more than a match for him! This is the perfect summer read - I highly recommend this book and can't wait for the author's next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming & uplifting read., 29 Oct. 2011
Lisa Hardy "lisabookworm" (Kettering, Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this light-hearted and warming read. I loved the way that all the lives of the characters were entwined, and the way the author formed the relationships between all the characters.

The book was well written and very descriptive. I love a book where you can actually picture the characters easily as it helps me form the story better in my mind. If I can't connect with the characters I tend to give up easily!

There were many light hearted moments in the book, and I absolutely loved the way the author used the quirkiness of the English language, where many things are lost in Translation.

"No tan lines! Good boy. Been sunbathing in the nuddy?"

"Whats the nuddy?"

If you are American and you don't know what this means, you really do need to read the book and all will become clear.

I didn't want to put this book down and read it in two settings. This is now the second Sue Moorcroft book I've read and I'll certainly read all the others without hesitation.

If you want a book that's not heavy and will leave you with a smile on your face, then I definately recommend this!

Thanks to Choc Lit for allowing me to review this book. I was not paid for my review

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern romance, 3 Feb. 2012
L. H. Healy "Books are life, beauty and truth." (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Paperback)
Honor Sontag has travelled to England from her home in Harrison Drives, Connecticut, USA, to leave everything from her life behind for a few months, to escape and have some time and space to think. Honor's 'old life had fractured and she'd crept out of one of the cracks.' She also aims to find and meet her English birth mother for the very first time, having been raised by her American father and by her Grandparents. She rents a bungalow in Brighton owned by Clarissa Mayfair, and at the very start of the novel, Honor meets Martyn Mayfair in a rather unusual and interesting situation! He immediately becomes her rescuer, and a mutual attraction is sparked.

As the story grows, Honor begins to establish a life in and around Brighton, and gets to know more about Martyn. The two of them find they have a lot in common, not least with regards to their unusual familial backgrounds. But Martyn doesn't want to get involved with anyone who isn't single and available, having been hurt before, and Honor had 'come to England to get away from the storms in her life, not to brew up new ones.' Additionally, in Robina, the owner of the local teashop, Martyn has an ardent admirer who doesn't give up easily. Honor befriends Rufus, Robina's son, and takes his side against some local bullies. Honor tries to help everyone out and seems like someone who really wants to make life better for people, especially those she cares about. But will she be able to find, as the title suggests, love and freedom in her own life?

This enjoyable romantic novel has a beautiful, kind heroine trying to make sense of her life, a very handsome hero with some interesting relations, a jealous would-be lover who is a real hippy but can bake a great cake, a bullied teenage boy who is under appreciated by his mother, and more! There is a lovely sense of place in the novel, the writer really conjures up the seaside setting and the charming little streets and quirky shops, all of which Honor comes to love. 'She felt more at home here, looking out to the ocean, than she had in any other place.' The story really builds towards the end of the novel when there is a surprise visitor and an unexpected twist in the tale. A sweet, modern-day romantic read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good book by Moorcroft, 16 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Paperback)
Should I say it again? Ok I will. I like Moorcroft's books because they feel so real and at the same time they are sweet and romantic. And they are so British, you have to love that feeling you get how you just want to go in live in the novel.

To the story then. Honor leaves Connecticut because of troubles. I am not going to tell you what since we do not know it at once, but I do understand why she wanted to leave everything behind and start new. She is also looking for her mother who she has never known. Those two things are the troubles in her life. She has had her share of hard times but she still has a positive outlook on life and I really liked her for that. She has a good degree but she is willing to work as anything (except as what she know). Sure she could have told certain people certain things but life is not easy and she acted like anyone would act. To the man then, Martyn, and now I do not want to say more so not to spoil things. Let's just say he is really hunky, he does have a wandering eye (in the past that is) cos he has been hurt so he keeps things casual. But when these two meet they become friends since they are thrown into each other's lives at times. The attraction is there and building but neither wants to act. That is what I like about her books, people take things slow, they talk, they laugh and they fall in love.

And it's England, they eat fish and chips, drink tea and say English things (which of course Honor does not understand what they mean but I have no trouble with. Used to that.) There is just something about a good British novel.

So yes it is a novel about finding your freedom and falling in love. About meeting new friends and doing what you want to do instead of what other people want you to do. And last yes there is drama too, this drama comes in form of a big jerk whose ass I wanted to kick. But you can't let jerks hold you down and no one can hold Honor down any more.

Conclusion:
This was a lovely story that I read through fast. I was very interested in finding out who her mum was and what happened back home, and of course when she and Martyn would get together. It was sweet, uplifting and real. Moorcroft has not disappointed me so far and I hope she will write many more wonderful novels.

I do recommend her novels. They are not contemporary romance and not quite fiction but a lovely middle thing in my eye.

Rating:
Good

5.0 out of 5 stars Sizzling Summer Read, 3 Jun. 2011
DizzyC "carol36" (East Anglia, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Paperback)
Just look at that cover! I was in love with this book on looks alone! :)

We first meet Honor as a damsel in distress saved by Martyn Mayfair and his sister.

Honor is an American coming to England to find sanctuary and her mother.
She blends in with the locals a lot better than she does the weather!
Honor has some great insights into how an American sees our English ways.

Martyn is not, as he first appears, just an ordinary guy. If your looking for a hunk this summer season, look no further. He is sizzling. First impressions do not count as Honor discovers.

Martyn and Honor's paths cross often at the start of the novel because Honor is renting a bungalow from Martyn's sister. They begin a friendship and start to find out more about each other.

The chemistry between Martyn and Honor is white hot!

I loved the way the author revealed secrets about the characters at a teasing pace.
The story flowed well with a satisfying conclusion.
The characters, including the Mayfair sisters, the gang at The Teapot were exciting and each had their little secrets to be unravelled.

This is on my list of top summer reads for 2011!

5 out of 5 for me!

Thanks to ChocLit for a review copy. This did not influence my review in any way

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic, witty, emotional and a hero to die for, 1 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Paperback)
I love all Sue Moorcroft's books and this was no disappointment. I was only in a few pages and I'd already laughed out loud several times. I had to force myself to put the book down when daily life called, but I rushed back to it as soon as I could.
The story was fresh and the dialogues were natural but witty. As you read along, you had sporadic insights into the hero's and heroine's histories which made the characters much more real and believable.
The hero is absolutely perfect, gorgeous but sensitive.
I loved the ups and downs in the story which kept me reading on and I had a big grin as I turned the last page. I was racing to the end, desperate to reach the happy ending, but I was sorry to say goodbye to the characters when I got there.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Love & Freedom (Choc Lit)
Love & Freedom (Choc Lit) by Sue Moorcroft