5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 7 Aug 2011
This review is from: Adelphi Has To Fly (Audio CD)
I love Kate Rusby and Cara Dillon, and this young lady is up there with them. We saw her live at Priddy Folk festival and I bought the CD on the spot. She is in the traditional folk style, able to sing unacompanied with a fresh and light touch, and her own compositions are excellent too. She can certainly sing, the more I listen to this CD the more I like it. The production is great, not overpowering but supportive. Cant wait for her next release.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sublime and Emotional, 4 Dec 2011
S. Ahmad (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adelphi Has To Fly (Audio CD)
If you are of a sensitive and reflective nature, I defy you to listen to 'The Fairy Boy', 'Alice in the Bacon Box' and 'Bricks and Love', and not have tears streaming down your cheeks. This CD is worth having for these 3 tracks alone. I'm not a follower of any particular musical genre, but I do appreciate beautiful and moving singing - and like 'The Unthanks', this soft, straightforward, poignant singing pierces the heart. Both Lucy Ward and The Unthanks sing about love, loss, and death, and the tragedies of a hard life - in other words the important things in life - which nowadays, are all too often overlooked and undervalued in our frenetic, materialistic 'consumer' lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great album, 14 Jun 2011
This review is from: Adelphi Has To Fly (Audio CD)
What a great great first album. I love the natural voice of Lucy that is used across a variety of styles. A real crossover between folk and pop, I love this folk revival, this is up there with Kate Rusby. I just can't stop listening, next album please Lucy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding new talent, 27 Aug 2011
Mr. N. R. Ash (Fylde, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adelphi Has To Fly (Audio CD)
I don't think I have ever heard a better or more constantly engaging album by a female folk singer than this debut by Lucy Ward. She has been compared in other reviews to Kate Rusby and Cara Dillon, but her interpretations of traditional songs (and her own compositions) are much more thoughtful and varied than either of those more established artists can manage, not least in her ability to match tone, phrasing and dynamics perfectly to the meaning of the words she is singing. There are no weak tracks here - every song demands and deserves attention - and not the slightest risk of the boredom that comes with the flat, monotone singing of some serial offenders in the folk scene. She is a young artist who deserves huge success and I hope she achieves it, together with many more albums of the immensely high quality of this one (matched, fortunately, by the excellent production). I, for one, can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars You blow me away, 17 Jun 2011
This review is from: Adelphi Has To Fly (Audio CD)
I have been listening to Lucy sing since she was a young teenager, she blew me away then and she continues to blow me away.
When music pops into your head wherever you are and whatever you are doing, it has to be for a reason and the reason is, "because it is brilliant."
I love Alice in the Bacon Box, Julia makes my skin prickle, Adelphi leaves a shadow in my mind, Maids when you are young repeats itself over and over and forces me to sing (even if I can't!), Bricks and Love makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up and Death Rock me, haunts me.
There is no option but to play it again and again, so if you haven't heard it, buy it now. This woman can sing anything.
Can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars An album full of spine-tingling goodness, 21 Jun 2012
This review is from: Adelphi Has To Fly (Audio CD)
I have enjoyed many great albums over many years, but this is my all-time favourite. The beauty of the music, lyrics and breathtaking delivery is one of life's joys. I've loved this work for the past 12 months and it still makes me laugh and still makes me cry (in the case of "Bricks and Love"). Many of the self-penned songs are enigmatic and work brilliantly as poetry in their own right: in my opinion, they are on a par with Leonard Cohen but with wit and humour too. Lucy's rare combination of immense talent (writing, singing and performing) and personality will, I'm sure, make her a great in her field. But even if she never writes or sings another song, in "Adelphi has to fly" she has already given us a classic album of great beauty and power. I can't wait for the sequel !

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 27 July 2011
M. W. Hall "just_martin" (Guildford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adelphi Has to Fly (MP3 Download)
Beautiful voice that's sympathetically underpinned by the instrumentation. Lovely renditions of trads and standards, particularly the outstanding take on 'Maids when you're young'. And her original songs maintain a nice balance between the personal (Julia) and traditional subject matters (Alice in the Bacon Box).

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucy in the sky with diamonds, 3 July 2011
P. G. Rutten "record collector" (Venray, Limburg Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adelphi Has To Fly (Audio CD)
Perfect album. Great songs, really demanding texts. Great playing, great singing. One of the greatest albums of 2011.
Where has this girl been hiding. Seth should have seen her talent. Hope to see a live show. Up untill than we play this again and again
Folks listen to it and you will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucy Flies, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Adelphi Has To Fly (Audio CD)
What a beautiful voice Lucy has. And the song, Alice in a Bacon Box, is a brilliant song. Loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Diamond Lucy, 8 Mar 2014
Peter Hill ""yoghurtknitter"" (Waterville Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adelphi Has To Fly (Audio CD)
A fine debut album from this talented young woman. Sung with her native North East accent proudly on show, the album is mostly folk orientated with occasional forays into singer-songwriter territory e.g most noticeably on the title track and 'julia', a song suggesting forbidden love?.
5 of the songs are her own compositions, my favourite being the beautiful but sad 'Alice in the bacon box' (which could easily be mistaken as an original 19th century ditty) and the rest of the songs are more traditional in nature with her own arrangements.
Opening with the unaccompanied 'the fairy boy' highlighting her gorgeous voice, the album is a mixture of the funny 'maids when you're young' (i had to google "faloorum" & "ding doorum"!!) & 'a stitch in time' (a wonderful tale of retribution against a drunk of a husband) and the more solemn/sad songs such as 'death (rock me to sleep)', 'the unfortunate lass', 'F is for love' and the incredibly poetic/upsetting 'bricks and love'.
Musically very sparse but her voice is the highlight here and it only loses 1 star for being a bit too sombre for my tastes.

ARRAY(0xb0f58d08)