5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Mr. Softee (Paperback)
"Mr. Softee" is the second book by Mike Faricy that I have read and also the second that involved PI Devlin Haskill.
Devlin Haskill is a hilarious and very well written main character with his string of ex-wives, his love for drink and bars and he seems more accidentally successful than skilled. It was a pleasure to follow Haskill tell us about the case as it develops.
In this case a mean businessman, Ice Cream Van mogul Mr. Softee hires Haskill after he narrowly escaped death by a run away driver. The investigation leads Haskill into more bars and contact with suspects. Then a potential witness is murdered and the plot takes off from there. Haskill becomes a suspect himself and with the help of a former client, nick named dog, he tries to crack the case.
The narrative is easy and hugely enjoyable to follow, there are great comic scenes and despite the more humorous character of the book the mystery is not as obvious as you would have expected from detective series of this kind. I was genuinely surprised many times as the story unfolded.
There is action, suspense and great writing, making this author one to watch and the series one to recommend to anyone who likes crime fiction that isn't all too serious.

5.0 out of 5 stars It has no pretensions of being great literature but is good escapist fayre, 22 Dec. 2014
D. Bull "Bully." (West Midlands, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Swirlee (Dev Haskell - Private Investigator, Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This is a proper guilty pleasure read. It has no pretensions of being great literature but is good escapist fayre. The hero is all too human in his frailties and all the more likeable for that. A lovely light read that should please all lovers of this type of fiction, a little of the Raymond Chandler in there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Swirlee ( Dev Haskell - Private Investigator) by Mike Faricy, 24 Jan. 2014
Mr. Swirlee is book 2 in the series of 6. This was least favourite, to begin with, as the topic was, I thought a bit silly, but as I got into it, found it to be anything but........ although Mr. Swirlee made me cringe at his description... yuck..... I read the series in order, and grew to really love the character of Dev Haskell, and his best friend Aron a Lt. in the Police force.. however, Aron didn't show up much after book one, which was a shame, as the argumentative banter that went on between the two was priceless.....

4.0 out of 5 stars More than the sum of its parts, 2 April 2012
My second Faricy book and I detect a pattern forming. Mike's really big on sleaze. He does it with accomplished authority. His style is tongue-in-cheek black humour and his characterisation so good that you feel like washing your hands every time certain characters ooze into the story.
I'm a distant relative of Raymond Chandler and accordingly have read all the master's books. It was Chandler who set the mould for the down-at-heel private eye which set the standard for everyone to follow. Mike's hapless PI, Devlin Haskell, gives Marlow a run for his money.
The story is centred around ice cream (hence the title) where Haskell is engaged by obnoxious ice cream boss, Mr. Softee, (great part for Danny de Vito) to discover who was trying to kill him. The plot weaves this way and that faster than a cone would melt on the equator. It's a terrific page-turner of a yarn that has a very satisfying ending.
I do have one or two technical gripes. Devlin is a wow with the women who all want to jump into bed with him at the drop of a thong but we never get a clear description. My old English professor always made a point of making a point that you should describe your MC early on to fix him in the reader's eye. There are some spelling errors; it took me a while to figure out why Dev was mopping around before realising he should have been moping. I shouldn't carp too much as spelling and punctuation errors were few and far between. The only other thing that struck me was that Mike did rather telegraph the main perp early on which took some of the surprise out of the mystery.
All in all though, a great read if you like your heroes with feet of clay, your femme fatales fatal and your good guys out on top. Nice one, Mike. I think I'm hooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars We all scream for ice cream (and Dev Haskell), 28 Nov. 2013
mountainmama "Shirley Hicks" (Charleston, West Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
Here's another adventure in the life of Dev Haskell - a wise-cracking detective who manages to get himself into more trouble than a barrel of monkeys. This time he's hired by a businessman whose ice cream trucks dispense more than just fudgesicles. As Dev stumbles into a hornet's nest, murder and mayhem ensue.

Mr. Faricy's books are always entertaining - pure farce that moves at breakneck speed as hard-drinking, skirt-chasing Dev leaps from frying pan to fire. Never one to follow rules, he teams up with some pretty sketchy friends with hilarious results, and often breaks as many laws as the `bad' guys.

Although these books are part of a series, they do not have to be read in order. For a fun romp, check them out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book, 7 Aug. 2014
I really enjoyed the first Dev Haskell book, and absolutely loved this second helping, although Dev is a bit of a bad boy, there are plenty of redeeming features about his personality. Five stars. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars You know how it all ends, 8 Oct. 2014
Typical P.I. with the blond bimbo and rich old man. You know what is going to happen but still you go on reading it. Lots of great humour. Worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars About Mr Softee's P.I., 8 Aug. 2013
Mr Softee, the owner of an ice cream factory catering to children in many neighbourhoods, is actually a shyster. He's a man without any scruples or any sense of fairness. He's a man after someone's heart.

His own.

Devlin Haskell, Private Eye, has been "hired" by Mr Softee to find the person who ran over him that lands him in the hospital. I put "hired" in quotes because Mr Softee has no intention of paying for his services. It turns out that Mr Softee appears to be a paranoid schizophrenic intent on believing the worst of everyone. But is he really? He becomes one of Haskell's suspects in the death of a former employee, until he ends up dead himself. The story continues to unravel, bringing more characters to the plot. We read about Lola Lentz, Mr Softee's current squeeze reminding me of a gangster's moll. Bernie Sneen, the man who kicks Haskell's investigation up a notch from mundane to interesting when he becomes the first murder victim. There is also Detective Manning of the St Paul's Police Department and his Lieutenant Aaron LaZelle. Jill, the granddaughter of Mr Softee's former partner and Haskell's occasional squeeze,and Heidi, Haskell's in-between-Jill-romps squeeze and bailer. Let's not forget Tony "Dog" Colli, a hardened criminal with a soft spot for Haskell. I just love the simple solutions he gives Haskell.

Mike Faricy's Mr Softee is written in the style that's perhaps similar to Mickey Spillane sans the misogynist tendencies. I liked the plot and the story, the sarcastic wit which was so spot on in American gumshoe detective stories. I like the way he doesn't have to describe too much. As one reading this, I am able to get a picture of where the private eye lives, what he does, how he even smells. Mr. Faricy gives a sense of the place Devlin Haskell works in but allows the reader free rein to imagine where the story happens. Most of all, I like The Dog's character, who was Haskell's serious comic relief.

The one thing that I wasn't too keen on was the story's predictability. Less than half-way through the story, I knew who the real culprit was. Mr Faricy could have explored the possible suspects further to keep the reader guessing a little longer. He almost did when I thought it was one of his squeezes because she didn't give a hoot about Mr Softee. I'll let you read it for yourselves to find out.

A gumshoe. A shyster. A femme fatale. Several human gorillas and a couple of dobermans. A dead body. No, make that bodies piling up and the gumshoe's the suspect. Throw in a gumshoe's gal and his crazy criminal pal and you have the makings of a whodunit.

The butler definitely didn't do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A FANTASTIC BOOK AND A MUST READ!, 12 Jun. 2013
Review 6******

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is another Dev Haskell novel. I LOVED IT!

Dev Haskell is a skirt chasing, beer drinking, lovable Private Investigator. I love him to bits, but sometimes I want to throttle him too! I honestly don't know if he has a guardian angel looking after him, but he seems to get into trouble at a drop of a hat!

In this page turner of a book, he is hired by Mr. Softee, an Ice Cream mogul, to provide protection. What happens next is a wild ride of explosions, car chases, mistaken identity, double cross and murder!
This is a fantastic story that had me shaking my head at Dev's antics at one moment, and marveling at how someone can have such bad luck the next! I was hooked from the first page! I loved meeting Tony "Dog" Colli. He is decidedly crazy, but I can understand why Dev is his friend; His hygiene habits leave a lot to be desired though! *shudder!!*
I am most definitely looking forward to reading more of Dev's adventures in the future!

Mike Faricy is a fantastic author! I love his writing style. It is fast paced, but it is also witty. He is one of my favourite authors, and I will read any of his books in the future.

I highly recommend this book if you love detective fiction that is highly addictive! - Lynn Worton

4.0 out of 5 stars Mystery, Suspense and Humor, 7 Aug. 2013
Devlin "Dev" Haskell, is a local Private Investigator, although not a very busy one!
He likes to sleep late, drink his Leinenkugel beer, visit seedy establishments, has some questionable friends, been married 3 times and likes any woman that will pay him a little attention.

Dev is hired by Weldon "Mr. Softee" Sofmann, to find out who tried to kill him. Mr. Softee is the local ice cream mogul that is hated by everyone who knows him, so there is a town full of suspects.

As Dev looks deeper into Mr Softee's claim, he finds himself in over his head. He stumbles upon a gambling ring Mr. Softee and his "niece" have set up using the ice cream trucks. To try and silence him, a dead body is placed in the trunk of his car, on a hot summer day, that he rides around with...ALL DAY! I cannot believe he didn't realize that smell was coming from HIS trunk!

I found myself shaking my head...a lot!... How could one person get into so much trouble and have that much bad luck? Instead of telling the police and laying low he enlists the help of an old friend, Tony "Dog" Colli. Dog is a felon who has some unorthodox ways of getting the answers they need to prove Dev's innocence.

This was a fast-paced, quick read with mystery and suspense with a good amount of humor thrown in!