5.0 out of 5 stars excellent
Published on 26 Dec 2011 by Jelly-Bean

1.0 out of 5 stars Where's the quality control HP?
Published on 21 Oct 2011 by Geeps

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 26 Dec 2011
The machine is simply excellent from the appearance and smartness of the case and screen to the nice to use compact wireless keyboard. So far has been glitch free and windows 7 seems very nice, intuitive and steady - I am still learning new things about Explorer 9 and have yet to delve very deeply into the full touch-screen facilities of the computer. I feel little need to do this in a hurry but feel sure that given time I will progress my learning process in this direction. So far, I would not care if the machine was touch screen or not and without it it would presumably be cheaper and even better value, as it delivers all I want and more without it. I realise however that touch screen is probably to way to go with future op/systems. Only criticism I have is with HP as the guarantee is set to start at the time when the computer was presumably manufactured. I bought mine three months after this date and it took several e-mails and phone calls to HP to have the guarantee registered with the (later) purchase date. All OK now though and their people on the end of the (quite expensive) phone calls seem very helpful. Created a set of HP recovery disks which took 5 RW DVD's and took for ever - hope I never need 'em or if I do that they will work, no windows recovery disk is supplied. Overall, so far, I love it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Where's the quality control HP?, 21 Oct 2011
I've tried two of these machines....the first one had a non-working DVD drive and the TV tuner didn't work. The second machine clicked noisily when switched on and had the speaker volume control fixed at maximum - whether using the buttons on the side of the case or the slider onscreen, the volume remained at maximum. Googling this I find it's been a problem for several months. Some - and I have to agree - feel it's a design flaw where HP have got their case design wrong. Certainly they haven't cured it with drivers etc. I'm also surprised that the setup leaflet doesn't include where to plug in the infra red led cable, nor what a small black plastic clip is for. So documentation has been pared to unacceptable. Anyway, I've called it a day with HP. Design flaw or not, clearly their quality control needs attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm surprised how much I like it!, 7 Oct 2012
I've worked in IT for over 20 years, and have always been very "anti" all-in-one units, but I had admit that it made sense to get one to replace my aging home PC. I purchased my HP TouchSmart 610-1130uk a few weeks ago, and have been using it a lot - I'm surprised how much I like it, and would recommend it to other users - here is my feedback:

GOOD POINTS....

[1] Very simple to set-up. Only two cables - power & IR lead (for TV remote control). When you first power-up, an HP Wizard asks you a few simple questions, then you're up-&-running. Importantly, everything "just works" out of the box, unlike some other computers I've purchased previously - all very painless - and it's so nice not have cables trailing all over the place as you do with a conventional PC.

[2] Screen very sharp & clear. Being a touch-screen, I thought that screen clarity might be compromised, but that is simply not the case. Viewing angles are extremely good too, colours are vibrant and no dead pixels. It don't use the touch screen feature in practice - it seems to be OK but, like I say, I've practically never used it.

[3] Sound quality is fantastic. I listen to a lot of radio via the internet, and it sounds excellent.

[4] System very quiet - only a slight hum from a (single?) cooling fan.

[5] Lovely keyboard. Low profile, nice to use and not too fussy (very like the keyboards on Apple systems). Some people have criticised the mouse - it's very plain, lightweight plastic, but I think its fine.

[6] Ergonomics are very good. The buttons/slots are all in sensible places on each side of the system - eg. the CD is a slot loader (not a tray) which makes sense as its vertically mounted, the On/Off button is in a good position and the power light is on the side so isn't a distraction when you're using the machine, there are USB ports on the sides (not just on the back) for easy access, etc. The screen tilts to 'any' angle too, which is great.

[7] The integrated graphics appear to be able to handle games well. The machine comes with an Radeon HD5570 graphics card which is better than most all-in-one machines, but still fairly modest compared to many conventional PC systems. I must emphasise that I'm only a causal games player, and have only really tried one game that needs any "grunt" (Alice - Madness Returns) but I was surprised to how well it ran.

[8] System performance is fine - it isn't lightning fast at starting up (circa. 60 secs to get to the Windows log-in screen, and 30secs to load the desktop) but applications load very quickly, and system responsiveness is generally very good, and though I have had occasional lag this is very rare (my gut feeling this is just Windows 7 - I'm used to using XP). The machine's hard disk is only a 5400rpm unit (not 7200rpm) but that seems to have surprising little impact on system performance.

BAD POINTS....

[1] The tilting screen mechanism is quit stiff. I've only tried to tilt the screen a couple of times and it takes a bit more force than I'd expected, and then it has a tendency to "go all of sudden" which can be a bit alarming - particularly as there are USB & TV antenna cables coming out for the back of the unit. It may be stiff just because the machine is new - though I suspect there is a bit of a knack to it too, which I've yet to master (its operation looks lovely & smooth on the HP videos!).

[2] Although the screen quality is great, it is very reflective, particularly under certain lighting conditions. Personally this hasn't bother me at all, but some people might find in distracting.

[3] You can't connect a second screen - ie. to have a dual-screen system.

[4] The machine is loaded with quite a lot of HP software that I expect I'll never use. For me, this includes the HP TouchSmart interface that you can load to replace the Windows desktop (there are videos on YouTube showing how it works). Personally, I doubt I'll ever use this, thought I guess it's designed to make use of the touch screen capabilities, and I guess it is nice that HP include it for those people who might like it.

[5] The system isn't designed to be upgraded - but that's true for most (all?) all-in-one systems.

One final note....
I purchased refurbished unit - where the machine is refurbished by HP and sold by a third party reseller (via Amazon). I'm really pleased with the refurbished unit, it looks practically new (only an extremely minor mark on the keyboard) and I saved circa. £200 compared to buying new. The machine has some pre-loaded software called "HP Support Assistant" which includes a tool that connects to HP over the internet, to report back how much warranty is left on machine. The tool reported that I only had 2 weeks HP warranty remaining (yikes!) but the item was advertised on Amazon as having 12 months. I emailed HP - they assured me that I do have 12 months warranty starting from date on reseller's delivery note - so I've made sure I've kept a copy of this email just-in-case! I noticed another buyer on Amazon has report this issue in their feedback too, so it's worth being aware. HP also advised that I can choose to extend the warranty by purchasing their "Care Pack" warranty - very approx. £60 to add one extra year, or £120 to add two.

3.0 out of 5 stars missing, 17 Oct 2011
I preordered this computer before it's release date and as I live in France I ordered it from UK english operating system annd keyboard and sent to my mothers address, collected it and took it home to France. Unpacked it and tried to set it up, found that the wireless dongle was missing, so unable to use keyboard or mouse. Contacted Amazon tech support worse than useless, didn't know what they were talking about, I think it was somewhere in India ??? as a result I cannot use the computer until I purchase a wireless keyboard and mouse with the correct dongle, again I have to order from UK and then wait for delivery. Disapointed with both Amazon support and HP

3.0 out of 5 stars Gimmicky and Disappointing, 18 Mar 2012
This review is from: HP TouchSmart Desktop PC(Intel Core i3-550 Processor, 4GB Ram, 1.5TB HDD) (Personal Computers)
I bought this machine to replace a trusty Dell desk-top that had served me well for 7 years. I am seriously considering re-activating the old machine as I find it easier to use. The touch screen can be slow, and for such packages as Facebook is not as good as using a keyboard and mouse. I am thinking of using the HP machine to replace the TV and lap-top I use in the bedroom rather than as my main machine. On the plus side, the speakers and sound quality are very good indeed
I have always been a fan of HP peripherals, but have been disappointed with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Hewlett Packard support team, 25 May 2012
This is a great PC and the HP back-up support team are fantastic. Having talked me through an error I made they were able to correct it online. Would recommend Hewlett Packard most highly

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY, 28 Nov 2011
This was so so easy to set up not to many cables just one plug to plug in and off you go.HP TouchSmart 610-1115uk Desktop (Intel Core i3-550, RAM 4GB, HDD 1.5TB, Windows 7 Home Premium)