5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding!
If you haven't read the 4 titles in the 'Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel' series that come prior to The Warlock, then I would advise you do! Not only are you missing a great and award winning series, but the plot is very detailed and you may find it hard to follow the fast-paced roller coaster that this book is!
My son and I have read all the prior titles and...
Published on 24 May 2011 by Zephfire

3.0 out of 5 stars Building Up to the Finale
Published on 13 Jun. 2012 by Zotwot

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding!, 24 May 2011
My son and I have read all the prior titles and enjoyed them immensely, but this one is my favourite!
The plot twists and turns at a break-neck pace, more characters are arriving, some we've met before, some are new to us, they have one of two aims.. to either aid Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel to retrieve the Codex and save the humani from certain suffering at the hands of the Dark Elders.. or to aid Dr Dee, Niccolo Machiavelli and the Dark Elders to gain the final two missing pages of the Codex and commence the Final Summoning that will see the humani enslaved to them as they regain control over the world.
Exactly who is on which side can never be guaranteed, and some characters are questioning the strength of their conviction and loyalty to their chosen side.
Josh Newman has left the Flamels and joined with Dr Dee.. will Sophie be able to convince him to return to the Flamels and to her side.. or will she leave the Flamels and her belief that they are doing the right thing, just to be re-united with her brother?
Meanwhile, some of the Flamel's supporters are off on a mission of their own, William Shakespeare, Comte de Saint-Germain, Scathach and Palamedes are in a very strange and mysterious place, having been taken there by the equally mysterious Marethyu.. who seems to have an agenda all of his own, but which side of this epic battle is he on?
You'll need to read The Warlock to find out the answers.. and it's an exciting, spellbinding and totally absorbing read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait another year!!!!, 7 Jun. 2011
Probably the best series of books I've had the pleasure of reading.

The use of real historical people, places, myths and legends is inspired. It has prompted me to google and learn so many fascinating stories and biographies that I would have otherwise been ignorant of.

Roll on 2012, although that will mean the end of this wonderful series, will just have to re-read (again).

4.0 out of 5 stars Complex plot will keep you guessing, 19 Jun. 2011
I am a big fan of Michael Scott's series and pre-ordered this latest title, although I'd rather have had the American cover, that would have meant waiting longer for the book. The cover on this Doubleday UK edition is horrible. But that's beside the point. Scott continues the story of Josh and Sophie Newman in this latest instalment. It's hard to believe that this is the fifth book in the series but we are only a week further on than when the story started back in The Alchemyst. The events of this book all take place in less than a day, but there is a lot to pack in. A previous reviewer described this book as a rollercoaster, but I didn't feel like there was a lot of action in this book. Instead, there was a lot of talking and explanations, which were very necessary at this point in the series, but still leave us with more questions than answers. In order to keep all the action current, Scott jumps around from one group of characters to another, and the plot is so convoluted and complex that it can be hard to keep track of all the different groups. However, that might be because I read this book in smaller chunks rather than in more sustained reading sessions.

I love the way Scott weaves so many different mythologies together in his story, along with historical figures. It has led me to some interesting research and side reading. In fact, for anyone beginning this series, I recommend reading with Google open beside you. I enjoyed this latest instalment and I recommend it for readers of any age. But you can't read this unless you've read the rest of the series first. There would be no point. This is not a series you can pick up part way through. The bombshell at the end totally took me by surprise, and I'll be looking forward to the sixth and final book next year.

3.0 out of 5 stars Building Up to the Finale, 13 Jun. 2012
I have very much enjoyed the series until this point but felt a little let down by this one. Don't get me wrong, it's still good but it's clear The Warlock is the build up to the end of the series. In terms of what actually happens there isn't really that much. It focuses much more on the history of the mythology, a mixture of mythology's from all over the world, and on how the characters are developing and connected to each other. In fact it seems that every character has a link with another that you wouldn't forsee.

I like how it flitted between several stories but it seemed to lack the plot of the others. I was expecting another huge battle at the end but it just didn't materialise. And Nicholas Flamel has suddenly become a fairly minor character which is disappointing considering the series takes his name.

It won't be until the series is complete that this book's full value will be known but I feel that it's the calm before the storm. It's good as a continuation of the series but if it was a one-off book I would be really slating it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Scott - good book, 18 Nov. 2011
Mr. C. Weir - See all my reviews
Clears up a lot of loose ends from the previous books but definitely leaves you hungering for the next one - Michael Scott is great at creating mythologies and blends them well with actual mythology - the one great thing is that there is always a satisfying conclusion to his book series' - it may not be a conventionally palatable conclusion but he generally does not leave anything unexplained.
There are definitely some similar storylines from his 'Tales of the Bard' series but this is inevitable as some of the mythologies overlap and his 'Hook Handed' character seemed initially to be a link between the two but after speaking to Mr Scott on Facebook he has made it clear that the 'Hook' is where the similarity ends.

Eagerly awaiting the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic entry, 3 July 2011
I found this to be the most enjoyable book since the first. I love how every chapter ends with a cliffhanger, making you want to read more. Also, the chapters are nice and short, and do not become really tedious. I figured out the main twist at the end but there was one in there that really caught me by surprise. I agree with another reviewer about the cover, much preferred the original. If I have to be honest, I stayed up until 4 am to finish this book (and I only got it the day beforehand). If you haven't read any of the previous books in the series, don't start off with this one. Overall, extremely satisfied. Buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant author. Very interesting stories and good deep plots, 21 Feb. 2015
Brilliant author. Very interesting stories and good deep plots. Throughly enjoyed reading these books. I've got to book 5 I think and I've got board. It seems like one big story from book 1 that they've just had to split into a number of books because they've ran out of pages. There isn't any real differences in plots or story when you start the next book, it's like you've just started a new chapter where usually with books in a series, the next book is based months/years later. Hopefully I'll pick up the next book soon as I've bought them all. Not rated it lower as I have enjoyed the books.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 7 May 2014
This review is from: The Warlock: Book 5 (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel) (Kindle Edition)
all of the books in this series are fabulous, well written and engaging. I could not stop reading. I truly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eventful but a bit slow, 3 Feb. 2014
I enjoyed the book, but I do think others in the series were better, this one was a little laborious to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars the warlock, 6 Nov. 2013
have read all five books and onto the sixth once you start reading
it you wont want to put it down they are great reads

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›