Nearly six months ago, I purchased (from Amazon naturally) a one terabyte desktop hard-drive to allow me to back up the contents of my laptop. That hard drive cost little over sixty five pounds but due to the floods in Thailand and an on-going shortage of hard drives (the reasons for you can read online if you desire) the cost of external storage has went up somewhat since then. It is therefore more important than ever to ensure you get value for money.

Very recently I found myself looking for another storage solution, an external hard-drive that I could use simply to backup my digital photography collection (almost one hundred gigabytes in size). I was looking for something that not only gives me the storage space, but something that also was stylish, fast, and portable. It's safe to safe that I found everything I needed and more in the form of this 320Gb Toshiba Hard Drive.

It's small and is host powered so it is easy to carry if you're out and about without the need for additional power cables. It's stylish as the case is made from aluminium, this helps to disperse heat from the actual hard drive contained within and makes the drive seem robust as opposed to the more common plastic casing. It's almost silent in operation (helped by the fan less design) and makes very little effect on my laptops battery life.

As with all external hard drives it's easy to use thanks to plug and play, and while the supplied USB cable is a bit short it is still long enough to allow the device to sit on your desk far enough away from your laptop or computer. While a cable a bit longer would have been better it's important to remember that at the end of the day this is designed as a portable hard drive and having a lengthy cable would be counterproductive. It seems to be fast enough in both reading and writing speeds. I have transferred both small files back and forward (JPEG's) as well as larger RAW files and have been pretty impressed with the speed of doing so.

Unless you're looking for a USB3 device (newer technology that's faster than the current version two) or really need a large volume of storage then I highly recommend this Toshiba drive, it's a drive that won't let you down. For the current cost it does offer value for money and alongside everything else is a steal.
33 comments|283 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2012
This hard drive, together with it's little smart case is perfect for ensuring that all my info is safe. Small enough for my handbag, large enough to cope with loads of data. wish I'd got one years ago.... remembering the floppies, then carrying several flash sticks... life is so much better now!
on 30 May 2012
Ok, so I ordered this after reading a review that said it worked really well on a Mac. I needed a backup drive for my new iMac and the size and design of this one look perfect especially taking advantage of the usb powering. After it arrived the box just gave PC system requirements I looked again at the reviews and could not find the favourable one just the one by p.zdrahal saying that it didn't work on a Mac. PANIC!

However I plugged it in switched on and hey presto the machine recognised the new drive lunched Time Machine I confirmed that I wanted to use it for Time Machine backups, and in less than a minute it had reformatted the drive and was taking a first backup. Perfect. I guess I need to test a restore, but as I'm a complete Mac novice I don't know how to do that yet. As a result can't give it five stars but would do otherwise.
As I'm one of the growing number of "Silver Surfers" I was slightly worried about even trying to back-up all my 3 years of work that I've accumulated on my PC, never mind my growing music collection on iTunes which is now over 4,000 tracks with a play time of over 10 days! It was incredibly easy, even for me. I didn't find the need to use both USB 2 plugs to give me excellent download times, although the iTunes library ran for just over 20 minutes. Excellent value for money and the usual wonderful Amazon delivery service. I read many reviews about several options for a stand-alone hard drive and although there were a few bad ones on this product, the reviews on the alternatives were far worse. However, don't expect much in the way of a "Quick-start" guide as the leaflet is in a huge number of languages and all you really get is a picture of a PC, the drive and the cable! Mind you, that's all you really need!
on 3 November 2011
I have owned previous Toshiba drives, but this USB 3 update really takes the biscuit: It now includes a virtual CD-ROM device (which cannot be disabled) that pops up with "Toshiba Marketplace", and tries to set your browser's homepage preferences! This behaviour is not only atrocious in the extreme, but it also cannot be disabled: This is, indeed, an external USB drive with permanent adverts on it.

Furthermore, if you are planning to use this drive as an external drive for a device like a PVR or router, the virtual CD-ROM device will ensure that the hard disk won't be detected, because it always appears first (and most routers/PVRs do not expect multiple USB devices in one.) So, not only is it incredibly annoying - but also useless as an external hard disk, if you use it with a router or PVR!

Avoid - stick to USB 2 models only (750GB or smaller), or just buy another brand if you want to avoid permanent advertising.
1414 comments|150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2012
I am not a techie, and was pleased that this item was easy to use and instructions were easy to follow.
on 28 May 2011
Great little drive. Good value compared to other drives with these compact dimensions, runs silently and it doesn't require a supplementary power cable. Build quality seems very good too.

However, the supplied USB cable is a weak point. It's rather stiff, chunky and short. From the USB port on my desktop the cable isn't long enough to let the drive sit flat on the table. It's OK used on a laptop, but the inflexibility of the cable means it still doesn't sit well on a table.
0Comment|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 January 2011
This is a very cool hard disk. It's small, very quiet and fast enough to be usable. This wasn't the case with a Samsung one which I had to return and buy this instead. It seems pretty reliable so far. It uses a double-pronged USB cable which uses 2 USB ports on the computer. It's not terrible, as a drive this fast and this large pretty much needs the extra power. The cable is laughably short though, you may need a replacement or a USB extender. I had a longer version lying around from another drive. Other good points - no horrible blister packaging from what I remember. Minimalist design aesthetic and decent build quality. Not much else to say except I think it's definitely worth the money.
on 6 December 2011
I bought this hard drive to backup our two computers. It seems like a quality Toshiba external hard drive in a black brushed Aluminium casing & with huge storage capacity. As usual, I am very happy with Amazon's excellent packaging and prompt delivery.
on 24 March 2012
I purchased this with a view to backing up all files on my existing laptop and from old cds and dvds. It hasn't disappointed at all. It is very small and easy to use. I have had no issues or problems at all and is the best price out there at the moment. You should ignore any comments about the USB cable being "too small", it's fine, it doesn't need to be long in my opinion. I would definitely recommend this product.