5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Storage Solution For Less Than £50
Published on 27 Jan 2012 by Andrew Kerr

1.0 out of 5 stars Now with unwanted, unremovable adverts included!
Published on 3 Nov 2011 by Oliver Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Storage Solution For Less Than £50, 27 Jan 2012
Andrew Kerr (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Nearly six months ago, I purchased (from Amazon naturally) a one terabyte desktop hard-drive to allow me to back up the contents of my laptop. That hard drive cost little over sixty five pounds but due to the floods in Thailand and an on-going shortage of hard drives (the reasons for you can read online if you desire) the cost of external storage has went up somewhat since then. It is therefore more important than ever to ensure you get value for money.

Very recently I found myself looking for another storage solution, an external hard-drive that I could use simply to backup my digital photography collection (almost one hundred gigabytes in size). I was looking for something that not only gives me the storage space, but something that also was stylish, fast, and portable. It's safe to safe that I found everything I needed and more in the form of this 320Gb Toshiba Hard Drive.

It's small and is host powered so it is easy to carry if you're out and about without the need for additional power cables. It's stylish as the case is made from aluminium, this helps to disperse heat from the actual hard drive contained within and makes the drive seem robust as opposed to the more common plastic casing. It's almost silent in operation (helped by the fan less design) and makes very little effect on my laptops battery life.

As with all external hard drives it's easy to use thanks to plug and play, and while the supplied USB cable is a bit short it is still long enough to allow the device to sit on your desk far enough away from your laptop or computer. While a cable a bit longer would have been better it's important to remember that at the end of the day this is designed as a portable hard drive and having a lengthy cable would be counterproductive. It seems to be fast enough in both reading and writing speeds. I have transferred both small files back and forward (JPEG's) as well as larger RAW files and have been pretty impressed with the speed of doing so.

Unless you're looking for a USB3 device (newer technology that's faster than the current version two) or really need a large volume of storage then I highly recommend this Toshiba drive, it's a drive that won't let you down. For the current cost it does offer value for money and alongside everything else is a steal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, neat product., 5 Jan 2012
This hard drive, together with it's little smart case is perfect for ensuring that all my info is safe. Small enough for my handbag, large enough to cope with loads of data. wish I'd got one years ago.... remembering the floppies, then carrying several flash sticks... life is so much better now!

4.0 out of 5 stars seems to do the job, 30 May 2012
Del (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Ok, so I ordered this after reading a review that said it worked really well on a Mac. I needed a backup drive for my new iMac and the size and design of this one look perfect especially taking advantage of the usb powering. After it arrived the box just gave PC system requirements I looked again at the reviews and could not find the favourable one just the one by p.zdrahal saying that it didn't work on a Mac. PANIC!

However I plugged it in switched on and hey presto the machine recognised the new drive lunched Time Machine I confirmed that I wanted to use it for Time Machine backups, and in less than a minute it had reformatted the drive and was taking a first backup. Perfect. I guess I need to test a restore, but as I'm a complete Mac novice I don't know how to do that yet. As a result can't give it five stars but would do otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars external hard drive, 9 Feb 2012
I am not a techie, and was pleased that this item was easy to use and instructions were easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba PX1624E-1HC2, 12 Feb 2012
The hard drive is faster and very good and i encourage anyone who want to but it to go ahead. It is also cheaper than others

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, 24 Mar 2012
I purchased this with a view to backing up all files on my existing laptop and from old cds and dvds. It hasn't disappointed at all. It is very small and easy to use. I have had no issues or problems at all and is the best price out there at the moment. You should ignore any comments about the USB cable being "too small", it's fine, it doesn't need to be long in my opinion. I would definitely recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, quiet, good value, 28 May 2011
Tom (Exeter, UK) - See all my reviews
Great little drive. Good value compared to other drives with these compact dimensions, runs silently and it doesn't require a supplementary power cable. Build quality seems very good too.

However, the supplied USB cable is a weak point. It's rather stiff, chunky and short. From the USB port on my desktop the cable isn't long enough to let the drive sit flat on the table. It's OK used on a laptop, but the inflexibility of the cable means it still doesn't sit well on a table.

1.0 out of 5 stars Now with unwanted, unremovable adverts included!, 3 Nov 2011
Oliver Jones (Düsseldorf, Germany) - See all my reviews
I have owned previous Toshiba drives, but this USB 3 update really takes the biscuit: It now includes a virtual CD-ROM device (which cannot be disabled) that pops up with "Toshiba Marketplace", and tries to set your browser's homepage preferences! This behaviour is not only atrocious in the extreme, but it also cannot be disabled: This is, indeed, an external USB drive with permanent adverts on it.

Furthermore, if you are planning to use this drive as an external drive for a device like a PVR or router, the virtual CD-ROM device will ensure that the hard disk won't be detected, because it always appears first (and most routers/PVRs do not expect multiple USB devices in one.) So, not only is it incredibly annoying - but also useless as an external hard disk, if you use it with a router or PVR!

Avoid - stick to USB 2 models only (750GB or smaller), or just buy another brand if you want to avoid permanent advertising.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 22 Mar 2012
I'm really pleased with this product its stylish and slim line the case has a great finish on it and it performs really well, its absolutely excellent for keeping all my photos on also easily portable which is exactly what I need, works quickly and silently aswell, if I had to pick a fault with this product it would be the length of the cable its only approximatly 1ft long but it use's a pretty standard connection so its not hard to find a longer replacement but over all its a fantastic product

Toshiba PX1624E-1HC2 StorE Alu2 2.5 Inch 320GB External Silver Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba external hard drive, 7 Jan 2012
Large storage hard drive. I wish I'd backed up all my photos and typing prior to my hard drive dying on me. It would have saved a lot of heartache! This drive is large enough to transfer all my photos and I bought another for all other material I need to save. Would recommend everyone to back up as they go along, that way if things go wrong with your computer you've not lost anything.