5.0 out of 5 stars Be aware of error message, 16 July 2012
Mr. P. Heigham (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony HXR-NX70E - NXCAM HXR-NX70E - Camcorder - High Definition - 6.648 Mpix - 10 x optical zoom - flash 96 GB - flash card (Electronics)
Purchased from H.Preston, via Amazon - some time to arrive, maybe because it had to be sourced from Sony in Europe. At first switch on, error message displayed: "HD movie area in internal memory is full. Cannot record HD movies". H.Preston had been very efficient at registering the camera with Sony PrimeSupport, since it's considered a Pro product. Sony engineers thought that the unit could be faulty and arranged for a replacement, which arrived very quickly.
Same error message! They then suggested using 'Reset' which had no effect. In the Operating Guide, there was a clue that there might be a need for formatting the internal memory as there is mention of writing unintelligible data to the internal recording media before transferring the unit to another owner, so I wondered if this was the factory-supplied status? Applied 'format internal memory', which seemed to work (hooray!), and a test recording was successfully made.
There was no specific mention in the Operating Guide that this should be necessary and it would have been helpful if this was flagged up when beginning to set up the camera. Surprised that Sony support engineers didn't latch on to it, either!
The camera is superb, brilliant Hi-Def images and a wealth of facilities. Proper XLR audio inputs with 48v phantom power for external microphones or mixer to be connected. Records either to internal memory or SD card, or simultaneously if required. Also still-shot capable and auto or manual control of all functions.

4.0 out of 5 stars sony HXR-NX70 is awsome, 20 April 2013
D. Williams (UK) - See all my reviews
I always use Amazon to buy virtually all the products I require, from birthday/Christmas presents to business tools such as computer and camera equipment and software. Sadly, when I needed to buy the HXR-NX70 a few weeks ago, there were none to be seen on the Amazon site, so I had to use another supplier.
This pro camcorder from Sony is simply the best in its class I have ever used in my 25 years of filming. I usually steer away from using the fully automatic features, but decided to give this a try on the NX70. I was amazed at the accuracy and response of the automatic functions.....image was consistently in sharp focus at the edges as well as the centre of the image; exposure was spot on in any lighting condition; low light performance showed virtually no noise; active steady shot gave my hand-held footage the look and smoothness of my most expensive tripod (people asked what tripod I was using, so I told them it was me!). Colour balance is as near as damn it to being as good as manually setting White Balance, so in short, this camera produces quality footage in fully automatic mode, allowing you to concentrate on capturing those tricky, unpredictable, fast moving and/or rare events without having to think about what ring or dial to turn, or buttons to press etc.
Having said that, this camera has the full range of manual controls you'd expect from a Sony Pro, and where filming scenarios allow time to set up and adjust the camera, it really excels. I found that a couple of the settings I needed are only accessible via the menus, but even this was painless to operate once you get to know where they are located in the menus, and in my case, getting used to using a LCD screen.
So, why do I give this camera 4 stars and not 5. One major drawback for me personally, is that you cannot have the LCD and Eye Level Viewfinder (ELV) active at the same time.....big oversight from Sony this!!! The ELV is the best I have used, so no complaints there; but say you want to access a menu to adjust a setting.....this would mean opening the LCD and you would no longer see the image in the ELV, which is exactly where you want to see the effect of any manual adjustments. Even the best LCD's (and this one is pretty good), are hard to see in bright conditions and only by using the ELV will you see clearly what the image really looks like. So, Sony, please fix this in a firmware update (it should be possible), and then I can honestly say that this camera would be flawless.
Excellent sound recording is achieved with the external mic. with XLR connectivity, but if you need to film in adverse weather conditions, you must remove the XLR microphone as this is not rain/dust proof like the rest of the camera. But, the internal mic. copes extremely well recording clear, good quality sound.
Oh, and finally: It is necessary to format the internal memory initially before any data can be saved.....why I really do not know, but the Sony techies should at least be aware of this.
If you are a pro videographer or serious hobbyist, this camera will not disappoint. It is hugely versatile and faithfully captures what it 'sees' whether set to automatic or manual.