Size: 5ltr|Change

on 31 August 2012
This is a detergent to wash dishes, it is not intended as a handwash, but as it is kind to hands and is unscented, it does work well in that role but as always with any detergent, do rinse your hands well.

I have been using this dish washing detergent for some years.

Most of the dish washing liquids on shop shelves have heavy scents and I really don't want my cups and dishes smelling of lavender or mango or the flavour of the month. I tried a well known and readily available ecologically friendly product and it did some damage to my hands.

Bio D came to my rescue. No scent and it cleans the dishes with no smears (not the way I wash anyway!) and my hands love it. I just had to travel some way to buy it. Amazon to the rescue.

Note that this is a low foam product. It may be pleasing to our childish memories of bubbles to see lots of foam, but this product will clean the grease off without a sink full of rather permanent bubbles. If you can see a handful of small bubbles on the surface of the water it's probably about right.

Go for the 5 litre pack and use it to refill your old bottles (or recycle washing up bottles from the neighbours...).

Update- some reviewers have commented on the aroma. Unlike some commercial detergents this has no detectable aroma (to me) in normal use - there are no added fragrances. So I opened a new bottle and put my nose over it. I can just detect the base coconut oil and a hint of the citric acid.

All detergents and soaps are created with one oil or another and the oily smell may not please everyone. Perhaps this is why so many soaps and detergents have strong smells added. Unfortunately added aroma oils can cause allergy problems. If you do find coconut oil offensive, try adding just a drop or two of food grade oil flavouring (food grade mint oil? food grade lavender oil?).

Another oil used in eco detergents is palm oil, but there are some doubts about sustainability as tropical jungle is being cut down for palm oil monoculture.
on 26 January 2013
I have been using this and other products in this range for a long time and they are usually fine.
However, this latest batch of washing up liquid smells really awful. An unpleasant sort of antiseptic smell where there is usually very little odour at all.
I have ordered a couple of other bottles from a different supplier and will see how they are. If they too smell dire, I will have to look around for something else as it is unusable for anything other than possibly a drain cleaner.
What a pity - normally a great product.
44 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 March 2013
I just subscribed to this dish wash as I was tried of all the supermarket brands with weird fruit flavours and in bright artificial colours.
This dish wash is amazing, although it is a bit weird when you first use it, as it does not have any colour (which is a good thing- no residues from colourants on your dishes!) and is rather liquid.
But it works amazingly, leaves the dishes really clean and is gentle on your skin.
Can only recommend, great value and service with the subscribe & save scheme too!!
on 21 June 2013
This is the best alternative washing up liquid for the price.... it is really great on the hands - does not dry them out at all, you get a great clean with very little liquid, it doesn't leave a disgusting taste on all the dishes and is better for the environment (unlike commercial products which leave a residue that doesn't even come off with water - I can taste it! and what must it be doing to the environment???!),
on 27 September 2015
Love this and no strong chemical smell as experienced by some reviewers. It's really gentle on the hands and I find creates a reasonable lather. Will definitely invest in more of this product.
on 16 December 2015
I wanted something natural for the dishes, as a general cleaner and something I could use as a hand soap too. I knew it was a long shot as I expected a washing up liquid to be too harsh to wash my hands with regularly, however, to my surprise, it was excellent... no dry hands. I'd dilute some in a dispenser in the bathroom and tip some neat into a smaller bottle for washing up. All was going swimmingly well until yesterday, 3 months after my purchase, I was washing my hands and a pungent smell of rotten eggs hit me. I immediately thought it was my drains but then realised it was coming from the bottle... and I'd just washed my hands in it! I then checked the main 5L tub and sure enough, it had the same horrible smell, far different to the 'plain' smell which it had when it first arrived.

I'm so upset about this as I thought I'd found the answer to all my needs in one bottle. I was previously using liquid Castile soap but got annoyed with the film it left behind on everything, thus even more cleaning. I really don't know what to use now that is natural but I suppose when searching for a cleaner without certain preservatives included we're always risking things going 'off' more. Perhaps I'm just a one off in this case with Bio-D but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had this problem after it initially being fine.
on 19 February 2013
Absolutely love this natural washing up liquid. First one I've found that doesn't give me eczema and I've tried loads of different ones over the years! Was pleasantly surprised at how well it does wash - wasn't expecting it to manage grease as well as it does (for saying its a natural one).
on 15 November 2014
Great not to have a strong fragrance, chemicals etc.

However, I've found I need to use tons of it to match the grease-killing power of 'normal' washing-up liquids. (In one week we've used just under 500ml; compared to about 80ml of standard detergent over same period...).
on 14 April 2013
after reading the previous comments and having tried the product for a few weeks, I am still wondering if I like it or not...
washing properties, very good. you don't need to use a big amount of product. it's not very bubbly but I don't mind that
gentle on the skin, I can't be a 100% sure but I think it is
my issue is about the smell: one customer said that his/her batch had a very strong antiseptic smell if I recall well... well mine has quite a strong smell too, which I am wondering if it's normal or not. for a natural product, I find the chemical scent quite confusing. I'll finish this bottle nevertheless but don't know if I'll buy again

edit 03/2016: I have been using it for a while now and I don't intend to change. I'm very happy with it. The smell was only on one batch, haven't had the problem ever since. very gentle on the skin and efficient at cleaning
on 14 March 2015
Bought this last year shortly as I discovered it was eco-friendly and vegan. Was a little sceptical about buying it as was concerned it might be an inferior product compared to the better known harsher brands. But I found it to be great. Not once did I think,
"hmm this product really isn't doing as good a job as any other washing up liquid I've used in the past".

I have very sensitive skin and had no problems using this without washing up gloves on.

I also decanter this into a smaller 1L bottle which I keep handy around the sink.

Buying again and will continue to do so :)