5.0 out of 5 stars It's all in the sub-title!
Published 5 months ago by John Kean

2.0 out of 5 stars It was OK
This is a well written and easily readable book. I did, though, find the sidebars a little annoying as I either had to stop and read them or remember to go back and read them, which disrupts the flow of the chapters.

The book does start well and there are plenty of lessons to be learnt but towards the middle the theme gets a bit repetitive and by the end the...
Published on 12 July 2010 by G. Davies

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It's all in the sub-title!, 22 Sept. 2014
John Kean - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diver Down: Real-World SCUBA Accidents and How to Avoid Them (Kindle Edition)
I noticed this book a while ago and thought it might be just another 'scuba diving scare book' where authors describe sensational incidents only for dramatic effect. The consequences of these scare books on my profession (I am a Red Sea diving instructor and author) is the enhancement of the belief system that scuba diving is dangerous and to be avoided. To my pleasant surprise DIVER DOWN is none of these and instead the many individual stories are used in an informative, educational and safety-promoting way.

To produce a book like this and deal with such subject matter in a positive manner the author must be a good writer and an expert in his field. Michael Ange scores highly on both counts. Unless we study our mistakes and those of others then we will always be at risk of mishap and serious scuba divers should not shy away from studies like these.

The author has simply published those studies to a wider audience and even though his efforts may be immeasurable in terms of lives saved or accidents avoided I would hazard a guess that each diving reader on completion of this book will spend a little more time on their buddy checks and perhaps from then on take an extra glance or two at their pressure gauges!

John Kean

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read for all divers, 26 Jan. 2013
Diver Down accurately displays how small problems, arrogance and disrespect in the world of diving can quickly escalate into tragic accidents.

Although some reviews give the impression this is may be off putting for some divers, I feel this is not the case. The main point the author is pushing is that if you follow your dive training you will be able to prevent these accidents from occurring, or be able to spot the early signs of complications, enabling you to take action to prevent an accident.

The book is a good read regardless of your level of diving - it goes through a wide range of accidents from Open Water to Trimix divers.
Some of the accidents in the book happen to experienced, professional divers - often through disregard of the safety rules in place to protect them. Even if you are a great and safe diver, its good to be reminded of our limitations, and why rules are put in place.

As a diver you can easily spot the problems and mistakes people make as they pop up, but it is interesting to read events as they unfold never the less.

Worryingly some reviewers seem to think they are over qualified for the book. You don't have to read very far in to see accidents can happen to any diver, particularly the arrogant. Ironically the book is probably aimed more towards this group.

Personally I didn't find the sidebars disruptive of the flow of the book, however I do already have a good background knowledge of diving, which I think helped. I can see how you could find these sections disruptive if you are unfamiliar with the concepts. If you find the sidebars are putting you off buying the book, I recommend using the look inside tool so you can get an idea of how the book flows before purchasing it.

I wish I had known the book contained pictures before I purchased it for kindle, whilst most of the pictures came up clearly on the kindle, I found a couple of were not of adequate quality for the device.

Do not let this put you off what is an interesting, and fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Having this book on your shelf doesn't automatically make you safe, 28 Aug. 2007
M. Follows (West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
"Diver Down" certainly provides stories that have the potential to scare the wits out of non-diving friends in their retelling. However, these accounts would not look out of place in "The Darwin Awards". After all, would you drop anchor and then go for a dive in unfamiliar waters without surface cover (i.e. with no crew left aboard) - and with a squall brewing? What is sad is that poor judgement by one person can kill or seriously injure buddies or rescuers. I guess the moral here is to look after 'number one' - in order to avert a daft accident or be in a position to offer assistance to those in difficulty.

"Diver Down" tends to describe `sensational' accidents that carry few lessons for the average diver. Most of the accidents described are in overhead situations, i.e. in wrecks or caves. Most accidents to non-technical divers are usually chalked up as down to poor buoyancy control, due to inexperience, panic, or a combination of the two. But recounting these accidents wouldn't make for a very interesting read. To be fair, Michael Ange lists the 'rules' of diving and under #5 states that "panic is the primary cause of diver death".

If you want to learn from the mishaps of others then the diving press carries accounts of diving accidents or close calls that are highly educational. One that sticks in the mind is an account of a diver who suffered symptoms of secondary drowning when he was simply making a surface swim and breathed in some sea spray ("Dive" magazine, April 2007). So, if education is what you're after, subscribe to one or more of the excellent diving magazines or online forums.

Having said that, the accounts in this book make for compelling reading. It's a real page-turner and I certainly don't regret buying this book.

Safe diving.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary - but compulsive, 9 Sept. 2010
Dylan Hayes (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
As a fairly new diver I was keen to learn more about the sport, and to make my own diving safer by learning from the mistakes of the others. As such the book is excellent. Each of the real world incidents has an introduction, a description of what happened, analysis of the situation, followed by short bullet points listing the lessons learned. This is a good format, and you should find yourself mentally making note of potential hazards and mistakes in the initial opening passage, and comparing it to situations you may have faced, and how you would deal with the situations in the book.

It may seem ghoulish to read about accidents involving fatalities and serious injuries (somebody said 'would you also read a book about car crashes?'), but like aviation, best practice in diving has evolved from lessons learned from previous accidents. Next time I go in the water, I'll try not to dwell on the accidents, but the important message about staying within your own limits.

My only gripe is the sidebars, which are interesting, tend to interupt the flow of each case study.

5.0 out of 5 stars NikP, 2 Dec. 2008
Nicholas Purnell "NJP" (London) - See all my reviews
A great book if your a diver. As you read it becomes very apparent why the problems occurred and I felt helped me realise my own knowledge and appreciation of the risks that can be involved if you pay no attention to the signs. I have lent it to many other diver who also enjoyed the read

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 25 July 2006
C. REID "Chris" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
A good descriptive account of what can go wrong on a dive and the precautions you can do to better prepare yourself. A must have for the experienced diver. Do not allow non-diving partners anywhere near it though. Would not advise for any nervous divers, get experience and build confidence first before reading this.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read for those who like to scuba dive., 24 Nov. 2013
The book features many examples of real life scuba disasters, some of them fatal, with recommendations of how to avoid them. The only problem is that no metric measures are given which can be important if you visualise depth in metres.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cautionary tales that are relevant to all divers, 30 Jun. 2013
P. Wadsworth - See all my reviews
I bought this book to learn about mistakes others have made to try to avoid them myself. Interesting read without be sensationalist or patronising. the importance of sorting out small problems before they become big ones is the main message. A good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very usuful, 21 April 2013
I. Ntounis - See all my reviews
This book is great to read but long before you go for a dive. I found studding accidents of other divers very useful as it made me think of situations that i would never imagine and when underwater i was more alerted then before.

5.0 out of 5 stars My hubby says its fantastic, 18 Feb. 2013
Bought as a present for my hubby who took it on a recent diving trip to Egypt. He says it is a real eye opener and he learnt more from reading it than he has from any instruction. He has dived all over the place!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›