TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 10 November 2011
previously my wifi signal soon gets weak a room or 2 away from the router.
bought this.
plug in.
press a button on the router.
press a button on the extender, and wait a minute or so (be patient).
job done.
it seems to cover a much wider aread than my original router, there is no dropout anywhere over a large area (probably up to 100m, through lots of walls). it has never once let me down since plugging in.
quick, easy and reliable. FAB bit of kit.

EDIT. now been using for 10 months. Remains as reliable as day 1.
EDIT2. now been using for 21 months. Still no issues whatsoever.
EDIT3! (22nd October 2014). 3 years in, remains as good as day one.

UPDATE Dec 14. I have now tried the higher-spec Netgear EX6100 (see above comparison chart), it works just as well as this model. If you're wondering about the 5 GHz band and whether you need it, in my general day-to-day use it adds little benefit, and only newer devices are compatible with 5 GHz. IMO most people won't need or benefit from 5 GHz devices, and the cheaper/more basic models such as the WN3000RP remain perfectly adequate.
2828 comments|1,502 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 April 2013
I researched this in a bid to find something that would extend my wireless coverage without me having to be a networking guru or go through a labyrinthine series of setup instructions. This item was a breeze. I simply selected the place where I wanted to improve wireless coverage and plugged it in. After switching on the wall socket, all I had to do was press a button on my router and then press a button on the unit. It connected to my router and I got a green (strong) signal indication. I searched for it on my network and found it under the same name as my router with an "-EXT" suffix. It used the same password as the existing network and I was able to connect to it without problems. If I unplug it and move it elsewhere, once it is switched on again it re-connects automatically to my router. I bought it for use with a "smart" TV in the bedroom and it performs well. The only issue is that it will occasionally drop the signal to the router and stop the item I am viewing. BBC iPlayer being a prime example and also Lovefilm. Having said that, just lately it has been working flawlessly. My other regret is that you can only have one of these in the system, which precludes me from filling the house with them. I bought one for my Daughter to extend her network into her attic room. The unit is plugged into a socket in one of the bedrooms below and again, it works really well. This was a great price and easy to install. I am very happy with my choice.
11 comment|104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 March 2013
These really are very easy to set up and work just as described.
Top marks to Netgear, as always they have made a useful well thought out quality product.

The instructions are clear and concise and the device is not over complicated.
It is ideal to solve the common problem of poor wireless signal in parts of the home.
You often find that where your phone sockets are and where you can locate your master wireless router does not give a good wireless signal in all locations around your home. Maybe you wish to have a good signal in the back garden and the signal from your router located at the front of the house is blocked by the house walls. In my case the router is located upstairs and I was getting very poor signal strength in a downstairs extension.

To set up the extender locate a mains socket on the boundary of your current wireless reception. I used my laptop to check wireless signal in a couple of locations before plugging the extender in. You need a location which has good signal and is nearer to the location of poor signal strength than your existing wireless router.
Once plugged in one click of the button on the side initiates the connection process, lights on the front indicate this is happening, and the extender should automatically connect to your existing network in a minute or so.
If it fails to connect, possibly due to conflicting networks from your neighbours, you can prompt the extender to connect to your network by accessing the extender from a computer. There is a well presented interface which guides you through the process of manually configuring the extender. You can also adjust a number of other settings including restricting access to certain devices, security settings and IP addresses.
Once set up I've not had to revisit any of the set up process or undertaken any maintenance of the extender. Its has just got on with the job of extending my network.

I have also found that the wireless signal produced by the extender is a better quality and has a greater range than my master router, a BTHomeHub.
0Comment|168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 December 2014
This wifi booster is brilliant ! For the first time I have a full wifi signal on my laptop and can get onto my wifi network from anywhere around my apartment. My son set this up for me but said it was straight forward. He is impressed by it and says it is very good quality. It actually out performs my router for signal strength... even when I'm sat nearer to the router, this Netgear Extender still shows the strongest signal from further away ! (see the attached screenshot) Money well spent for the difference it has made to my laptop and mobile devices. Highly Recommended. 5 Stars
review image
on 24 July 2012
I write this review as one who is using a BT Home hub 3. Despite the claims of BT that their router is the best on the market, its range in our 1960's built house dropped off quickly when our laptop was positioned any where else but in the room of the router. After much research of these reviews and also trying alternative products I decided to give the WN3000RP a try. I am currently composing this review whilst sitting in the garden!

The Range Extender really does do what it says on the tin. It didn't hook up to the router automatically, but was straight forward to do manually. I would suggest that potential buyers read through reviews of other Amazon purchasers as they really do give reassuring insight as to what is going on. The absence of CD software is a beneficial feature. The user documentation is quite adequate. It is always difficult to guage size from manufactuer's websites as they endeavour to show off the product design in the most elegant manner available. If placing into a gang circuit you might experience some difficulty inserting plugs into ajoining sockets. The manufacturers recommend in this instance that you twist the arials into the vertical position. Packaging sound and safe and delivered three days early by Royal Mail. Looking forward to looking up gardening information from my greenhouse.
on 11 October 2014
I purchased this after reading the rave reviews. I'm happy to say the reviewers were spot on!
It's an awesome bit of kit & ours is currently transmiting/repeating a needle bending wifi signal over a distance of approx 30 meters!
However, "If" your planning to connect it with a Virgin Media Superhub? Ensure you press & hold the WPS button on the Virgin hub until it flashes red/blue. This takes approx 5 seconds to happen. I initialy followed the Netgear instructions which didn't mention this. They just said "Press the WPS button on your hub within 2 mins of pressing the WPS button on the WN3000RP"
As a total PC/Internet numpty, I was pulling my hair out for over an hour as to why the WN3000RP wouldn't connect to my Virgin hub! Even though I was following the enclosed instructions too the letter?
I hope this part of my review saves a few other Virgin customers a bald patch or two? ;0)
on 14 January 2012
I would like to apologise to all the laptops and iPods I have slated for poor internet connection around my house for the last few years . it wasn't your fault it was mine , I bought a house full of concrete that ate up WIFI. The answer was to buy this wifi range extender from netgear.

I already own a new netgear router. My house is large and has a huge amount of concrete in it . This concrete reduced the range of the wifi.

Bought this piece of kit, turned it on and pressed the connection button (in the kitchen ) , did the same on my netgear router (living room). Within 10 seconds the devices saw each other. My house now has two wifi connection addresses all over the house at the push of a button.

If you want to extend the range of your router then this is your answer! Also I believe it works with other brands of Wifi routers , but in my opinion chuck that other router away and treat yourself to a new netgear router as well.

This really is a great piece of kit.
on 28 October 2012
This extender has transformed the house from cables to wireless with 2 button presses. I had the cable broadband through the house electrical circuit which was fine but everyone needed to walk around with the adapter. I placed this extender upstairs and everywhere is covered. No gaps and 4-5 bars reception everywhere and we have 3 foot thick walls.
11 comment|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 August 2014
Brilliant! I recently had super-fast broadband installed in my remote rural cottage, but using it in the attic (where I sleep) with my iPad was difficult as wireless reception was weak there. I wasn't sure whether this would work, but I decided to have a go.

Fantastic! Was able to connect within minutes with WEP and now I have full signal upstairs. I reckon I can prolly kiss sleep goodbye for the next week or two :)

EDIT: Just over a month later I've taken off two stars because suddenly the wireless has stopped working properly. My iPad shows that it has an excellent connection but I simply can't browse. Nothing happens. I read in the reviews that others have had the same problem and that re-starting might help, but it hasn't. Here I am at 0430 searching the net for a solution! I had hopes of a firmware update, but it seems that the firmware is already up to date. Very, very disappointing.

FURTHER EDIT: I've now left just one star. Unfortunately I could find no solution and it simply refused to work. This evening I've contacted Amazon and they're going to replace it. What a great shame. This was brilliant until it stopped working, but now it's useless. I've left the one star simply because it was good when I first received it. Good for Amazon for saying they'll replace it, though.

STILL FURTHER EDIT: Amazon sent replacement. It worked for a while but then failed in the same way as the first. I think I've left it too late this time to request a further replacement so I've just written it off. I suggest avoiding this like the plague. I'm sure there must be something else out there that really works. Now I have to try to find it.
on 17 December 2013
After purchase this equipment seemed to do the job perfectly. Then after a few weeks the problems started. The signal dropped repeatedly. I reconfigured it and it would last a few days then it would fail again. I did a full manufacturers reset and again it would last a few days and then fail. A trawl of the internet will reveal dozens of people with the same problem - just check out some of the chatlines and troubleshooting sites!

I contacted the manufacturer's technical help via chatline. The first person was very poor at explaining things. However, after a full installation of new firmware and reconfiguration it was back up and running... for 2 days! Then it failed again. When it fails it doesn't totally pack in. It just keeps dropping signal despite the fact that it indicates full signal strength and in the location it was being used there is no reason for not having full signal strength. It is incredibly frustrating and useless for reliability in any kind of business environment. I was using it at home and it was no less frustrating! It was back to the manufacturers again and another session on the chatline. After 2 hours they offered to replace it. Their after sales service is very poor and they declined a refund. They advised that they did not give refunds and if met with the same problem it would just be another replacement.

I have spent quite literally days trying to get this item to function. I cannot stress enough what a useless piece of equipment I believe this to be. It does not do what it says it will - at least not with any degree of reliability! If you buy this be prepared for hours and hours of frustration. Also be prepared to give up huge amounts of your time to try and get this device to work properly and be aware you will also require a pretty good level of pc skills when it comes to trying to fix the problems.

Amazon have, as always, been excellent to deal with and I sought and obtained a full refund from them. Save yourself hours and hours of frustration and stay well clear of this piece of kit.