2,770 Reviews
 (1,728)

4.0 out of 5 stars A compact WiFI Extender that's easy to set up using WPS
Its nice to have a piece of network kit that is easy to set up and just works. This is one such item. Netgear has clearly put a lot of effort into simplifying initial setup, to the point that if you have a WPS (Wireless Protected Setup) button on your existing router, you only need to press a couple of buttons to get it working.

So, what does it do? Actually,...
Published 8 months ago by Peter

3.0 out of 5 stars "Limited Connectivity" or "No Internet Connection"
I'm very experienced in IT, its been my job for 20 years but Its been quite a while since any network product has irritated me this much, I probably have to think back to the 90s to come anywhere close to being this frustrated.

Published 10 months ago by Western Infidel

4.0 out of 5 stars A compact WiFI Extender that's easy to set up using WPS, 24 Aug. 2014
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

So, what does it do? Actually, it can perform two different tasks, acting as either a Wireless Access Point or as a Wireless Extender. Both of these tasks give you WiFi connectivity where you haven't previously had it, but the method is slightly different.

Most routers nowadays have WiFi built in, but if you need WiFi coverage away from your main router (if the signal gets too weak to use in the remoter parts of your house or garden) you need another WiFi device. You can connect it to your router using ethernet cable, which gives faster results but involves cabling. This is "Access Point" mode. Or you can position the extender inside the coverage of your existing WiFi router so that it will relay the WiFI signal to devices that are further away. This doesn't involve any cabling, but it means two wireles "hops", from your computer to the extender and then from the extender to your internet router. This is Extender mode. I suspect mode people will want to use Extender mode because it is so much easier to install.

Setting the Extender up in Extender mode is really straightforward if your router has a WPS button. You need to connect it wirelessly to your existing router, which you do by plugging it in near your router pressing the on/off button, and when it has started up (it takes about 60 seconds) pressing the WPS buttons on both your Extender and your existing router. After about 30 seconds the "Router Link" LED on your Extender turns green, and its connected. You can then connect your computer to the WiFi signal of the extender (the name will be the same as your existing WiFi with a "_2GEXT" suffix) - you can press the WPS button on the Extender again or type in the network password, whichever is easier for you. The "Client Link" light on the Extender should also now light up.

Incidentally, I set up my Extender using the above method in less than five minutes and without looking at the manual. If you use this method it really is very simple indeed.

So now you have it set up, you need to move it to a place that will give you WiFi coverage where you need it. Typically this will be about half-way between the router and the comfy chair where you want to sit with your laptop, tablet or whatever. etgear makes placing the Extender easy. There are two little arrow lights that can light up. If the link to the router is not very good, the arrow pointing to the router will light up: this means "move the Extender closer to the router". If the link to your laptop is poor, the other arrow lights up, which means "move the Extender closer to your comfy chair". If they both light up, you might have trouble finding an ideal place for the Extender, or you might need to move your comfy chair a bit closer to your router. Similarly, if the Router Link or Client Link lights go orange or red, you're not getting the fastest possible connection.

You can configure your Extender further if you so wish by logging in to it. You don't have to; everything should be set up and working by now. But if you want to tweak things,iIts easy to log in to the Extender to from a device that is connected to it (not to your existing router). Just start a browser and type in www.mywifiext.net (this is NOT an internet address: it connects you to your Extender, not to anything on the internet), and you should get a login page. Type in "admin" and "password", and you're in. You should incidentally change the administrator password: its under Profile => Maintenance => Set Password.

If you want the fastest possible connection, you can also make two changes. First you can configure the Extender to talk to your existing router on one WiFi band, and to client devices on the other. For example, you can have the link to the router using the 5GHz band and your devices connected on the 2.4GHz band. To configure this, go to Profile => Advanced => Operating Mode and choose the "Fastlane Technology" mode.

Second, you can choose the WiFi speed. Go to Profile => Setup => Wireless Setup, and choose the Wireless Mode and Security Options. Note that you will get the fastest speeds if you choose a mode of "Up to 300Mbps" *and* a Security mode of "WPA2-PSK [AES]" - this will configure the Extender to use two WiFi channels, and deselecting anything with "TKIP" in the Security part will disable some compatibility options that allows the WiFi to run faster. Remember that every time you reconfigure your WiFi you'll need to reconnect, so it can get a bit laborious.

Also, don't forget that you have an ethernet port on the Extender, so you can plug a device, such as a network disk drive, straight in to it. If you have the Extender in Access Point mode the ethernet port is used for the cable back to your router.

If you don't have WPS on your existing router, its still fairly easy to connect everything up - there are instructions in the manual that comes with the router. At the end of the connection wizard you get a "congratulations, you are now connected to the internet" page wich is a real internet page, so if you want to make further changes to your Extender configuration you need to type in www.mywifiext.net again, which is a bit frustrating.

Physically the Extender plugs straight into a standard 13 Amp power socket. It is a bit wide for a power strip (plugs may not fit into adjacent sockets), but it is a reasonably compact unit, and its not at all ugly. There are lots of little triangle cutouts round the edges, and a plain white front, with a couple of adjustable "bunny ears" antennae. I have mine in the kitchen to provide coverage to my patio (which is at the side of my house) and it looks perfectly OK there. It does not have the longest range I've seen on WiFi device, but if that comfy chair is no more than 20m away from the edge of the nearest WiFi signal this should do the job.

Netgear kindly sent me an Extender for me to write the above review. I am not connected with Netgear in any way. If you have a question about this WiFi Extender, there's an "Ask a Question" box somewhere on this page. I and my fellow reviewers will do the best we can to help you out.

1,478 of 1,513 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Cannot overstate how good this is!!!, 10 Nov. 2011
Syd (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: NETGEAR WN3000RP-100UKS Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender (Accessory)
previously my wifi signal soon gets weak a room or 2 away from the router.
bought this.
plug in.
press a button on the router.
press a button on the extender, and wait a minute or so (be patient).
job done.
it seems to cover a much wider aread than my original router, there is no dropout anywhere over a large area (probably up to 100m, through lots of walls). it has never once let me down since plugging in.
quick, easy and reliable. FAB bit of kit.

EDIT. now been using for 10 months. Remains as reliable as day 1.
EDIT2. now been using for 21 months. Still no issues whatsoever.
EDIT3! (22nd October 2014). 3 years in, remains as good as day one.

UPDATE Dec 14. I have now tried the higher-spec Netgear EX6100 (see above comparison chart), it works just as well as this model. If you're wondering about the 5 GHz band and whether you need it, in my general day-to-day use it adds little benefit, and only newer devices are compatible with 5 GHz. IMO most people won't need or benefit from 5 GHz devices, and the cheaper/more basic models such as the WN3000RP remain perfectly adequate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful if you have wireless black spots, 13 April 2013
Mr nozzle (Cheshire England) - See all my reviews
I researched this in a bid to find something that would extend my wireless coverage without me having to be a networking guru or go through a labyrinthine series of setup instructions. This item was a breeze. I simply selected the place where I wanted to improve wireless coverage and plugged it in. After switching on the wall socket, all I had to do was press a button on my router and then press a button on the unit. It connected to my router and I got a green (strong) signal indication. I searched for it on my network and found it under the same name as my router with an "-EXT" suffix. It used the same password as the existing network and I was able to connect to it without problems. If I unplug it and move it elsewhere, once it is switched on again it re-connects automatically to my router. I bought it for use with a "smart" TV in the bedroom and it performs well. The only issue is that it will occasionally drop the signal to the router and stop the item I am viewing. BBC iPlayer being a prime example and also Lovefilm. Having said that, just lately it has been working flawlessly. My other regret is that you can only have one of these in the system, which precludes me from filling the house with them. I bought one for my Daughter to extend her network into her attic room. The unit is plugged into a socket in one of the bedrooms below and again, it works really well. This was a great price and easy to install. I am very happy with my choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear simplicity, 17 Mar. 2013
These really are very easy to set up and work just as described.
Top marks to Netgear, as always they have made a useful well thought out quality product.

The instructions are clear and concise and the device is not over complicated.
It is ideal to solve the common problem of poor wireless signal in parts of the home.
You often find that where your phone sockets are and where you can locate your master wireless router does not give a good wireless signal in all locations around your home. Maybe you wish to have a good signal in the back garden and the signal from your router located at the front of the house is blocked by the house walls. In my case the router is located upstairs and I was getting very poor signal strength in a downstairs extension.

To set up the extender locate a mains socket on the boundary of your current wireless reception. I used my laptop to check wireless signal in a couple of locations before plugging the extender in. You need a location which has good signal and is nearer to the location of poor signal strength than your existing wireless router.
Once plugged in one click of the button on the side initiates the connection process, lights on the front indicate this is happening, and the extender should automatically connect to your existing network in a minute or so.
If it fails to connect, possibly due to conflicting networks from your neighbours, you can prompt the extender to connect to your network by accessing the extender from a computer. There is a well presented interface which guides you through the process of manually configuring the extender. You can also adjust a number of other settings including restricting access to certain devices, security settings and IP addresses.
Once set up I've not had to revisit any of the set up process or undertaken any maintenance of the extender. Its has just got on with the job of extending my network.

I have also found that the wireless signal produced by the extender is a better quality and has a greater range than my master router, a BTHomeHub.

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy to use just plug it in, 6 Jan. 2015
Bought this for my son to use in his bedroom. He constantly moans that the internet connection is rubbish in his room and his xbox will lag or freeze altogether. He tells me he had 1 bar of signal before buying the extender....He now has full signal, no more xbox lagging and no more moaning. So easy to use just plug it in, hold down the wps button on the side untill the green light flashes, you then have 2 minutes to go press the wps button on your wifi router. The green light should now be on constantly on the extender. Now they are linked. If you have a password set on your wifi router you will need to enter this when prompted. Just one more thing that is probably obvious to most but not to me, once you have linked your router and the extender you need to go to wifi settings on which ever device you are using and connect to the extender. Mine was named the same as my router but with -ext after it.
Well worth buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as some reviewers suggest., 3 Nov. 2014
Not too sure what everyone is complaining about but for someone who just wants to boost the range of their home WiFi network then this is great. Within minutes I had the device connected to my Homehub 4 on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands through after pressing the WPS button and following the instructions (you need to go through the process twice to join both bands). After moving it upstairs it was still connected and gave great coverage.

Like some other reviewers have stated the range of the 5Ghz network isn't as big as the 2.4GHz but I'm fine with that and I would assume most folk would be happy with 2.4GHz.

I've only gave it 4 stars was because my house is now has 3 WiFi networks instead of one and sometimes on my phone the internet appears to stop working but is easily fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting the phone. Finally I think £65 is a bit much for this device but others out on the market are roughly the same but its great Amazon have it on offer at £47.99 at the time of writing.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Limited Connectivity" or "No Internet Connection", 19 Jun. 2014

For starters, WPS button does nothing except make the extender blink an LED repeatedly until it goes back to its previous state.. despite me pressing the WPS button on the netgear router sat next to it.. it simply won't have any of it.

OK.. so I go through the manual setup and the so-called Genie.

Before doing so, I added the extenders MAC to the ACL of the netgear router, I ensured I had available IP addresses in DHCP Scope.

I connect to one of the SSID's of the extender, enter the default user/pass and I get in. Change password, Choose Router SSID for 2.4ghz and 5ghz, changed admin password, set encryption to WPA2 and passphrases and it kicks me.. no problem, I expect that I have to reconnect.

I reconnect to the SSID of the extender (2.4ghz or 5ghz makes no difference)... open browser, go to mywifiext.net and login with new admin user/pass and I am in. Everything seems ok, resume the genie process step by step.. get to the end where it says disconnect and reconnect to the extender.. I do that then one of two things happens... depending on how its feeling.

1. My tablet, or laptop or phone's wifi manager says "Its taking a long time to connect" then eventually comes back with "Limited connectivity" or with "No internet connection" message. Then going back to mywifiext.net either works to the extender (but no internet access) or "Cannot find page".

Or

2. My tablet, laptop or phones wifi manager sits on busy until it comes back with a message that it cannot connect.

Ive also tried going into LAN settings when connected to the extender (mywifiext.net) and enabled NAT so the extender acts as a DHCP server and has its own subnet. Seems to work.. but still no internet connection. I'm connected to extender with maximum strength signal, extender is allegedly connected to my router fine, but no internet connection if I am connected to either of the extender SSID's.

Its ever so helpful though and tells me theres new firmware available everytime I log into the extender through mywifiext.net, but as it cannot get an internet connection it cant download it. Curious, I reverted to connecting my tablet directly to my router, browsed the netgear website for firmware and only see the same version that's already on the extender. Utterly useless.

So in summary... WPS button is useless, Instructions are useless, Genie is useless, new firmware message is useless. I've read on the Amazon US site (not on the netgear site as theres absolutely nothing helpful there) that the extender doesn't like WPA2 and a netgear tech advised to use WEP? Really?

I'm prepared to invest one more hour into this but if this is what I find at the end of it, its going to be returned as unfit for purpose.

I can recommend a lot of Netgear products, but this is not one of them.

*******************************

Edited 20/06/14

After a further 3 hours of repeating the same steps and without changing anything i was doing... i finally got the extender to connect properly and get internet connection.

Now that its working, its working like a charm with sustained max signal in the area of my home where i need it. Therefore i have changed the rating from 1 to 3.

If only this didn't have such a poor and frustrating out of the box experience, it could easily have been 5.

Netgear should focus on the setup aspect of the product as this is clearly the area where the product is weak.

*******************************

Edited 26/06/2014:

Spent a few more hours on it.. I cannot for the life of me get this to work in "Private" network mode, it will only work in "Public" which means it NAT/Firewalled and creates a separate subnet. Setting it as "Private" during setup results in inability for my devices to connect to it properly ("Limited Connectivity" message).. which then means i cannot connect to the extender using browser (mywifiext.net) to configure it and of course i cannot use internet or see any other devices.

After setting it to private, I found I had to do another factory reset to go back to the beginning... then followed a lot of attempts to set it up again and at the end only "Public" mode works. Its the type of device where once you have it working in any mode (even if not the one of your choice).. you should feel grateful its sort of working and you are reluctant to touch it again.. as this results in several more hours of mucking about with it to get it working again.

I would be interested to hear from other buyers to know if they have it setup in "Private" mode.

2.0 out of 5 stars Netgear Genie software ruins this, 26 April 2014
I bought two of these to replace a cheap and cheerful tp link access point to work as an access point connected through a home plug.

Netgear seem to have gone to great lengths to make it as difficult as possible to configure this, you'll see no static IP address, just a baffling direction to a web address on the back. How I'm going to manage the second one too is beyond me.

I was excited for this product, but the clunky and frustrating software wizards that are forced on you has really put me off Netgear devices.

If you're looking to simply add an access point with a basic defined configuration to your network, I would strongly advise avoiding this product.

EDIT: this device wants to function as a router. By default it creates a separate subnet for its wireless clients and wants to use NAT to pass the connections through to the router. This is an absolute nightmare for management as with an access point on a home network you really want the router handling DHCP, especially when you're using more than one extender. I can only assume Netgear's ideal network has a subnet for each device?

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, even better than the older version!, 2 Sept. 2014
Syd (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using the older Netgear Extender for a couple of years Netgear WN3000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender which has been brilliant. It was therefore interesting to compare this latest version, which has dual channel 2.4 and 5 GHz support, and supposedly offers a stronger signal to a wider area.

This device is SOOOOOO simple to setup, and I am no techy. You can either use the WPS button (click WPS on the extender, then the WPS button on your router) OR you can set it up with any wifi device eg android or i-gadget (as I did). The instruction book is simple to follow, and a wizard pops up in your wifi device to guide you through the process. It is quick and simple to do.

It allegedly works with ANY router - mine was set up with Virgin Media Hub and android phone. All my PCs, ipads, wireless printers etc etc are working fine.

Signal since setup is strong and reliable. You get 2 new wifi connections to use: MyNetworkName_2GEXT and MyNetworksName_5GEXT. The 2g is a slower connection but covers a wider area, the 5g is quicker but a smaller area. Either way, both are strong thoughout my 4 storey house, and the 2G network can be picked up easily in the garden too. Happy days!

This device is simple and covers a wider area than the older version I have been using.

The only downside is that several of my wireless devices are not compatible with the 5 GHz band, but they will still connect to the 2.4 band. I cannot say there is a noticeable difference in speed using the 2.4 versus 5 GHz bands.

Interestingly, the old device Netgear WN3000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender got very mixed reviews. I never had a single issue, but look on the reviews and you'll see loads of people had problems with the device dropping signal. Hopefully Netgear have solved this issue.....so far this latest device has never dropped signal for me. However, unless you feel you need or will benefit from the 5 GHz band, the WN3000RP remains a very good and more reasonable option!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm happy to say the reviewers were spot on, 11 Oct. 2014
I purchased this after reading the rave reviews. I'm happy to say the reviewers were spot on!
It's an awesome bit of kit & ours is currently transmiting/repeating a needle bending wifi signal over a distance of approx 30 meters!
However, "If" your planning to connect it with a Virgin Media Superhub? Ensure you press & hold the WPS button on the Virgin hub until it flashes red/blue. This takes approx 5 seconds to happen. I initialy followed the Netgear instructions which didn't mention this. They just said "Press the WPS button on your hub within 2 mins of pressing the WPS button on the WN3000RP"
As a total PC/Internet numpty, I was pulling my hair out for over an hour as to why the WN3000RP wouldn't connect to my Virgin hub! Even though I was following the enclosed instructions too the letter?
I hope this part of my review saves a few other Virgin customers a bald patch or two? ;0)