4.0 out of 5 stars grandkids
he has not put this away , took quite q while to make it , but has not stopped playing with it, thought he might break it up to try to make something else , but no , good toy ,great toy to keep kids quiet, Character Building Doctor Who Dalek Factory
Published on 25 Sept. 2012 by gig

3.0 out of 5 stars Scared to play with it!
Bought this for my Son for Christmas as he asked for it. He was so excited when he opened it. The building of it took a while and I don't really think an 8 year old would have been able to do it on their own so I did most of it. After finishing it, my Son played with it for about 15 minutes but got frustrated when bits kept falling off. I know it's made of 'lego' and is...
Published on 5 Jan. 2012 by Darren Millar

1.0 out of 5 stars A wretched mess, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who Dalek Factory (Toy)
This takes ages to assemble - due to the instruction book being a re-imagining of a LEGO manual put together by cretins.

Once assembled it will pop apart of it's own volition anyway - the plastic used is inferior to LEGO.

Why did the BBC not give the license to LEGO - which is a fantastic toy company. Character building stuff is garbage in comparison, especially at the RRP cost - if you can get it cheap then it's vaguely passable as a time-consuming diversion - but everything from the design of the factory (nothing like this ever appeared in the Doctor Who show) to the totally unplayable nature of it, as it's prone to falling apart if you look at it, is just idiotic. With LEGO products, you can recognise what the finished product is going to look like, you can even see what they are getting at as you are building it - but this "dalek factory" is as illogical as it is collapsible.

If anyone can fathom the conveyor belt - let me know - the faux lego construction is so slight, and the rubber belt so unwieldy, it comes to pieces in seconds. And any dalek figure on it revolves and falls off.

Pathetic. 1 star - but if you get it for under a tenner I'd give it 3 stars for the time it takes to assemble it - should prove quite a brain teaser to work it out for a young child. And if you have aspirations for a creative career for your child - for a textbook example of bad 3D-Design and product Design on almost every front (to be fair the Doctor Who license tie-in is it's ONLY redeeming feature) it is exemplary.

3.0 out of 5 stars Daleks but factory exterminates all by itself, 4 Aug. 2013
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Doctor Who Dalek Factory (Toy)
I should start off by saying that after a day my 9 year old son says he loves it. It has Daleks (2 supplied) so it's got to be good in part at least.

My son had one or two small difficulties constructing it but once overcome it was quite a straightforward build and he was happy to do it himself. The biggest problem, both during construction and after, is that the factory likes to fall apart virtually all by itself. The Character Building blocks do not seem to stay together as well as their major competitor.

Fortunately we had expected this after reading some of the reviews and I would highly recommend using glue to stick the tops and bottoms of the six main columns holding the structure together. We used a glue gun so that it can be pulled apart if really needed and that has changed the experience of playing with it for the better.

Other reviews also criticised the conveyor belt. It just can not support the Daleks as shown in pictures. Here we used some spare Lego bricks to provide support from underneath for the belt. Not perfect but much more playable.

It's by no way a perfect kit and I would not consider paying the RRP for it. But, for less than £12 and some custom improvements it can be fun ... and it has Daleks, so what more can I say?

2.0 out of 5 stars very poor, 31 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Doctor Who Dalek Factory (Toy)
I also agree with the neg comments here. Its taken me...and adult about 2.5 hours and yes it falls apart really easily etc. Its a shame because the parts, colours, shapes are good, and the overall design is great, but the pieces just wont stay together. And I would rate it at an age 10+ level. Super glue maybe poss, but my son wants to take it back to the shop!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not all bad., 11 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Doctor Who Dalek Factory (Toy)
Let me start by saying that I agree with many of the other reviewers who say that this set is flimsy when built. I believe that this is due to the fact that the designer has tried to build diagonals across a square grid. The pegs simply don't line up properly resulting in an unstable structure. So why do I rate it as ok?
This set is, at the time of writing, being sold by Amazon heavily discounted. You get over 400 bricks, almost all in suitably industrial colours. You do not have to be a slave to the instructions, I simply rebuilt mine with square corners instead of diagonal ones. I also left off the conveyor belt and used the bricks elsewhere. The bricks supplied lend themselves to any number of spacecraft, ship, industrial or sci-fi interiors. Throw away the instructions and have some fun!

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible!!!, 31 July 2012
RGP (Maldon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who Dalek Factory (Toy)
I completely agree with all the other negative reviews! This makes you realise just how good Lego really is. Why the BBC licensed the Doctor Who name to such an inferior rip-off is beyond me.

The instructions are confusing and illogical, there were THREE pieces missing, the plastic is too flexible so the pieces come apart very easily, the conveyor belt doesn't work, the list goes on. Also, the box gives the impression that you get lots of Dalek figures when, in reality you only get two. Basically, this is just an overcomplicated backdrop in which to place two Dalek figures, it has little to do with anything in the TV programme and is basically just an arbitrary shape.

Truly one of the worst toys I have ever experienced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fun especially for the lower price, 6 Sept. 2012
S. Sinclair - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who Dalek Factory (Toy)
My 6 year old daughter & I had three fun evenings putting this together. It is quite complicated but luckily my daughter is a patient soul & loved watching it take shape. She is totally Doctor Who obsessed & for the price of £12.99 it was excellent value. She now has somewhere else to put her extra Daleks!! If buying for children without adult help I reckon they would have to be 9+ to do alone. It now has pride of place in my daughters bedroom with other DW Lego pieces. I bought the TARDIS console room too as that is hugely reduced. I would recommend these sets. Great fun!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Lego I have ever built, 13 Mar. 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Doctor Who Dalek Factory (Toy)
The Lego pieces are too flimsy and each time you connect a bit the rest falls apart. There are too many little pieces rather than more robust bigger pieces. You do not even get a solid base board.

My son and I struggled to follow the instructions and in places the instructions just skipped steps. My husband could not put it together as his hands were too big (not really that big).

It took hours to assemble (and I am an experienced Lego builder). Once built it is no use for playing with as soon as you touch something it falls about and so totally disappointing.

I would only recommend this if you wanted to just build and put on a shelf. It does not stand up to being played with. We also had the same experiences with Cyberman Conversion chamber and Tardis.

Only good points can say is really helps with courting skills and was not too expensive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dr who lego type set, 2 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who Dalek Factory (Toy)
Cheap and nasty, not very good at all to construct, poor quality and would not buy this company's products again

1.0 out of 5 stars Many of its pieces missing, 26 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who Dalek Factory (Toy)
Very disappointed. Photos very bad. 6 pieces missing. 8 year old child would not be able to make it - husband very frustrated trying to build it. Our children love Dr Who so were really excited by this product but another set we had had a broken piece. We will not be buying Character products again. Back to reliable Lego.

1.0 out of 5 stars Character bulding dalek factory - a joke, 30 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Doctor Who Dalek Factory (Toy)
I agree with all the negative comments - there is no way this is compatible for a 7 year old. The Character building characters are fun and on this basis I bought my son the Factory - what a mistake - it is rubbish. you can't hold it together while building it as it is too shallow and flimsy. The company should make a full refund for this monstrosity and I wonder how/ why the BBC endorsed it. We managed the HM Forces jet a bit better but it can't be played with either or it will collapse. The worst item I have bought through Amazon ever.

Doctor Who Dalek Factory