4.0 out of 5 stars A bit too American?
I first read the original translation 20 years ago and was very moved, though reading it now I can see that the language has been tidied up and often sounds far too adult for a teenager.
This 'Definitive Edition' is excellent in some ways because it contains a lot of material which wasn't included before but the new translation reads too much like an American high...
Published on 24 July 2003 by K. Malone

3.0 out of 5 stars ...but who did the editress think she was?
If I only give it three stars, that's on account of the edition.
Yes, it is a book to evoke "pity and terror" and an amazing testimony to the young author's qualities of mind, soul, and spirit -- but who did those responsible for the so-called "definitive edition" think they were?
Anne Frank's bereaved father lovingly and delicately edited the diary as he...
Published on 26 May 2009 by Plover S

‹ Previous | 124 25 2635 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most moving books ever written, 2 Dec 2010
When I read this book for the first time, I was the same age as Anne Frank when she was writing her diary. I've always been interested in Anne Frank's story, or anything to do with the second world war for that matter, and I can safely say that nothing opens your eyes to the brutality of the holocaust more than this. I can't help but think what a brilliant writer Anne would have become had she lived into adulthood, as her ability to describe the daily events that occured in the secret annexe and to even quote her family's conversations is incredible. Her writing style is so honest and informal, which in a way makes the ending all the more sad. She was just an ordinary teenage girl who was desperate to be a writer. Although it sounds a bit cheesy, whenever I think things can't get much worse, I always thank my lucky stars I'm not in Anne's position. Reading this book has made me desperately want to visit Amsterdam, and I hope I eventually get round to it. This edition is complete with photographs of Anne at various ages, her parents, sister Margot and the Van Daans to mention a few. This book is simply something you cannot go through life without reading - it is the least anyone can do to pay their respects to one of the most sadly missed girls in history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart-wrenching, humorous, a definite read!, 28 Oct 2010
I first read this book when i was 11 with my class as we were studying social history and learning how to read aloud. I can honestly say that I cried on all occasions when i picked up this book. 7 years later, Anne's poignant and honest diary entries heralds the life of a typical teenage girl, raging with hormones leading to highs and great lows never fails to resonate. There's almost a sense of dramatic irony as you see this young girl with her family and friends in hiding, hoping for the better as you want them to see better days when the war is over, further heightened by Anne's aspirations of becoming a journalist. Sadly, we all know the fate but this is exactly what makes this diary all the more captivating! A characterful read, highlighting Anne's cheekiness, quick wittiness and general laugh-out-loud humour invites the readers, and we don't pity her. A timeless read for all ages!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read it., 16 Sep 2010
I probably read this book 20 years too late but i am glad i finally got around to it.

Such a wonderful read, you almost can't believe it is real.

The afterword is when it hit me as thoughout the book there are times when you just think she is a 13 year old in her own bedroom talking about boys. The way the book finishes and the afterword are a huge slap in the face with reality.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books of the 20th century, 5 Aug 2010
Like most other people, I first read Anne Frank when I was a teenager,in my case meaning the late 1970s. I read this new edition much later on in my life, but I'm still deeply impressed by it.
The fact that loony holocaust deniers spend so much time trying to rubbish the diary is merely proof of the power of Anne's writing.It still resonates with today's teenagers-such as my neices-and with those of us not so young.
This edition is not the same as that printed in the 1950s. Anne's father excised Anne's musings on her sexuality and her changing body-he was a man of his times and was evidently horrified that his teenage daughter could think about,never mind write about,sex. In some ways, history has been over-critical of his editing skills-does the world really need Anne's one page description of her vagina?
Fantastic book,funny,educational and heartbreaking all at the same time.I wouldn't recommend it to children under the age of 12.Everyone above that age,read,enjoy,learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne Frank Diary, 27 July 2010
An excellent story told by a most courageous teenager, though I did find it hard to suspend disbelief that this is a true story. It's just so hard to imagine the suffering that occurred during this period. I am sure I would have a been a huge fan of Anne's later writing if only she had been given the opportunity to live.

5.0 out of 5 stars great condition and a great to read, 10 May 2010
D. Lynda - See all my reviews
the book was in good condition it is a sad story but everyone should read it some time,i am glad i have read it

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all., 29 Mar 2010
Bryan Gibbons (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Not read all the way through yet but this is a must read for all, gets you thinking about the atrocities of war and those that make it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting, 2 Mar 2010
The book came very quick as normal with Amazon. The book itself was bought has a present and they said it was very interesting indeed which let you into the life of Anne Frank and what it was like to be in the attic for such a long period of time.

Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 20 Feb 2010
A quality purchase - exactly as described and an absolute bargain at the price. I still can't believe I haven't read this much book much earlier despite having pursued a diverse range of literature. Unbelievable!

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't want to finish it!, 13 Feb 2010
Bess_Wheat - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a rare book in that I didn't want to finish reading it! I felt that if I stopped reading, I could stop the dreadful and inevitable conclusion.

I have been meaning to read this book for years and had never been able to pluck up the courage until recently. I knew it would be heart-wrenching but I didn't realise quite how much I would gain from reading it. I was given a new sense of hope for the future and an understanding of how lucky and thankful I should be.

It is difficult to imagine how hard it must have been for young Anne and those she went into hiding with. However, Anne's skilful characterisations and perceptive voice allow the reader to sympathise with her experiences and imagine the fraught, and at times comic, atmosphere of the house.

I only wish I had read this book before now. It gave me an incredible insight into the terrors people were forced to live through and the bravery they summoned to fight for their future.

‹ Previous | 124 25 2635 | Next ›