5.0 out of 5 stars ColorMunki Display

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Software, Poor Support
Published 19 months ago by D. C. Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars ColorMunki Display, 26 Sept. 2011
C. Henderson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X-Rite ColorMunki Display Calibrator for Monitors, Projectors and Tablets (Electronics)
First used this screen calibrator today after my old Huey Pro seemed to have died of old age (it kept making my all screens go a particularly unpleasant greeny/cyan). I purchased it after reading a favourable review online by Northlight Images, a writer whose opinion I tend to trust. I've used Eye One, Huey Pro and Spyder 3 Elite hardware previously (for work and home use) and I found that the results from this are as good as any of that bunch. What set this apart though was that the user interface has the easiest to use out of them all. The calibrator is also a decent size (not too big, not too small!) and feels well built. It even managed to calibrate my ageing laptop screen - something that the Spyder 3 Elite and Huey Pro were not able to do to a satisfactory level. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to install (Win 7 64bit) but easy to use, 14 Jan. 2013
A. Tomkins "Risktaker" (Northamptonshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Having read a lot about colour and the human eye's perception of it I decided the only way I could have confidence in my pictures and art was to calibrate my monitors.

Regarding my perception of monitor colour - If you think you can set your monitor accurately by eye you are wrong (at least I was) As a test for myself I set my main monitor to what I thought was perfect colour and after 15 minutes of use I changed the monitor colour temp to the most different visual setting my monitor would allow (from 6500k to srgb in this case) as soon as I had changed it the screen had a colour cast and looked wrong, I left the room at this point and returned after a couple of minutes or so and amazingly the monitor looked fine. I then did a change back to the original setting which I had thought initially to be excellent and lo and behold my current setting looked right and the original (perfect) setting had a colour cast and looked wrong. Having read up this is something to do with how the brain perceives colour and looking at my monitor my brain adjusts to the slightly different settings making them appear the same to me. This was the main reason I decided to spend what is a large amount of money on a colour calibrator.

Packaging - The colormunki comes double boxed, the first box is a black taped up box with the company logo on it. Inside is the shrink wrapped display box as per the item picture, the item is in a slide out plastic tray with a multi language instruction booklet and an installation disc.

Installation and set up of the Munki - I downloaded the most up to date softeware for my platfoem (windows 7 64 bit). I disabled my antivirus (as recomended) and installed the software, all apeared well until I tried to plug in the hardware at which point I could not get the device to register at all with the installed software. A bit of internet digging later and I discovered that a number of peoplehave had problems getting the colormunki to install and operate correctly under Windows 7 64 bit. I had to trawl through the x-rite website and found my answer was another piece of software which when run completed/corrected my hardware install and allowed the unit to operate. So not the easiest set up I have ever had

Usage and results - once installed setting up a monitor profile was easy, run the software follow the instructions save the generated profile and you are done. I have 2 monitors on my PC, both were calibrated in around 10 minutes (5 each, the monitor selection is done via a check box as the first step in the calibration process. Now when I had both my monitors set to their factory setting prior to calibrating my HP monitor showed a definite green case and lower luminance in comparison to my viewsonic. Upon completion they are as near to identical as I would think it is possible to get two very different monitors to look, they are infinitely better matched than I could get them by performing manual adjustment. I have left the colormunki plugged in and it will perform samll adjustments based on the local light source.I have yet to do my laptop but it will be getting adjusted.

Overall - An easy to use item that does what it says it should, the only downside is the software which seems to have problems with its unsigned driver. Taking into account the price of some of the competing brands I am happy with my colormunki.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Software, Poor Support, 8 Aug. 2013
The software installed fine but wouldn't run at all, reporting missing DLLs. This was on a fairly clean Windows 7 x64 that was only installed about 2 weeks previously. Despite the 1.0.2 software dating from 2011, the device was shipped with the older 1.0.1 version. I eventually got it to run by installing the X-Rite Device Manager software (not included on the CD, but available from the X-Rite download site). I couldn't find any indication that was supposed to fix my problem (which has been reported by others).

Once I'd finally got it to run, it calibrated the display fine. However, the ambient light detection fails to work after the computer resumes from sleep (it appears the device isn't detected at all). I tried installing the device of a different computer (also running Windows 7 x64) and everything worked fine... except that the ambient light adjustment didn't seem to work at all (obscuring the sensor or shining a torch at it and remeasuring made no difference).

Basically, very disappointing software, exhibiting a lot of similar issues to the Pantone Huey I owned years ago (from the same heritage I guess). Maybe it works better on a Mac?

X-Rite support failed to respond within their claimed 8 hours, so I returned it to Amazon for a refund.

NOTE: X-Rite did respond on the 6th working day after I emailed them. As I had found myself, X-Rite Device Manager was the problem. Not much use however, since I had already returned it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works after you update, 20 Dec. 2012
N. Joshi "Joshi" (UK) - See all my reviews
I've seen people here complain about this messing up their monitor and giving it a strong yellow or magenta hue.

I should point out, when I first started using this, it did the same thing (sort of, I calibrated my main monitor, then when I tried to calibrate my secondary monitor, the main one started losing it's hue while it was calibrating, and ended up with a deep yellow hue).

I reset my monitor and then went and downloaded the newest version of the software (I'm on a Windows machine, so I don't know how well this would work on a Mac). Now it works perfectly fine on both monitors.

I've been using this for about a year now, calibrating every few weeks. I have two monitors, both completely different makes, and therefore it's difficult for me to manually match colours between them. I do a lot of work in Photoshop using both screens so it's important for me to have the colours match as much as possible.

With this, for the price, it does the job pretty well. It has a function where you can set the sensor down on your desk, plugged in to your computer and it'll dynamically change the colour profile based on the ambient light in the room. It's a neat feature, but I don't much like the idea of my screen's colours changing randomly, so I don't use that feature (and I find making a colour profile with ambient light as a consideration ends up with the brightness turned up slightly, but you can choose to calibrate without using the ambient light).

Otherwise, it's fairly easy to use, the software guides you through everything and it only takes about 5-10 minutes per screen to calibrate (and it does it mostly automatically, so you can go make yourself a cup of tea or something while it works).

I'd recommend it, there's likely better, more expensive alternatives out there, but for the price, I think it's a good deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Munki about, 18 Sept. 2011
Arrived on time and very easy to install. I need my screen to show correct colour at all times and this seems to work fine. Easy to set up and the images coming back from the lab match my screen images exactly so very happy with product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to set up., 11 Nov. 2013
Having previously used the Spyder 4 Express, I decided to give ColorMunki a try after seeing it advertised in a photography magazine. The software disc that came in the box would not run, so I downloaded the software from the Xrite website - the difference here compared to the Quick Start instructions was that the device had to be connected to the usb port before installation. The device was very easy to configure, with a wizard taking me through each stage of the process. The device measures the ambient light & then it is placed on the monitor in order to calibrate the display. The process took about 10 minutes & a profile was created at the end. In normal use the device can be connected to the PC usb & set at the side of the pc in order to monitor the ambient light & adjust for any changes. It will also calibrate a projector.
Compared with the Spyder I would say the ColorMunki Display is better, but it is more expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a huge difference to the ease of colour-balancing photos, 6 Feb. 2012
Just a few words, this Colormunki Display monitor calibrator works great. It is so easy to use (i use 'Easy mode'; there's an 'Advanced mode' also), calibrates in no more than 5 minutes, sorts out (a)colour balance, (b)brightness and (c)contrast of a monitor. It used to be such a torture for me to colour balance photographs before and is really easy now after Colormunki calibration as my monitor had a pretty strong yellow cast...And on a calibrated monitor any change you make (say increase green or magenta) is immediately visible/ easily recognisable by eye (matter of brain colour training, of course). I tried it on several monitors and it did a great, consistent job on all. I have never tried other brand calibrators (like the Spiders, Huey etc.) but i am, once again, delighted with this Colormunki and would recommend it highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if you're not using multiple operating systems, 1 Nov. 2011
The ColorMunki Display is a great device, it profiles screens very well, and it's able to change the screen's brightness and contrast automatically, so the user does not have to tweak these values using the OSD. However, that's both a good and a bad thing, as it modifies the screen settings so it matches the profile, and whenever you're using other operating system without the profile, the colors are way off.

For instance, I have both Windows 7 and Ubuntu. In Windows 7, the images look fantastic. However, in Ubuntu, the images look blueish, because the calibrator set the screen's color temperature like that. Anyway, it's a good purchase no matter how, WAY better than my old Eye One Display. If you're a designer or a photographer, you should get one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars ColorMunki Display, 21 Feb. 2013
For me, it was a toss up between the ColorMunki or the latest Spyder. Having read that the Spyder was giving some people problems with colours on screen, I chose the ColorMunki Display.
The unit only takes about five minutes to calibrate the screen and if left connected, it will continue to calibrate according to the ambient light.
The pros are simple; it does everything it needs to do for a better looking image on the screen.
There are no cons.

My only regret is not paying the extra and buying the model that calibrates the printer as well as the screen.

If you want to view images and movies to the best that your screen/monitor can display, then the ColorMunki Display will certainly do the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Gem, 19 Mar. 2012
S. Wallbanks - See all my reviews
Been having trouble getting the screen to match the printing - the colormunki
did the trick.
Very easy to use the whole process probably took about 10 minutes.
No more unsightly photos-now what's on the screen is what I get.

X-Rite ColorMunki Display Calibrator for Monitors, Projectors and Tablets
X-Rite ColorMunki Display Calibrator for Monitors, Projectors and Tablets by X-Rite Pantone Products (Mac OS X, Windows XP)