on 6 December 2011
I purchased the 5510 to replace my old 3820. Unpacked it and followed the instructions. Set it up in less than 20miutes and have printed/copied and scanned without problems - and I am 82. Been running for three weeks without a hitch. A little noisy but that is all from this very good product.
on 24 October 2011
Absolutely brilliant. Had to do a download from HP first , I do have an old MacBook !! But other than that , it is brilliant . I also have an iPhone and iPad and it prints from them with no problem. Even tried it from a restaurant and when I got home there were the pages all printed and ready. Both my husband and daughter also use e-print from their phones with no problem. Superb product especially at the price. Highly recommend it - just be patient if you need to do a download , it will be worth it.
33 comments|155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 August 2011
This printer was bundled in the deal with my MacBook Air - I had done no research prior to purchase, it was a "well, why wouldn't you" decision.

Set up was extremely straightforward both for the PC and Mac. Wireless printers are new to me, but I had no issues. There is a lot of bloatware sold with it doing things you don't want, but you can choose not to install them.

The device is noisy. The initial print cartridge priming sounded very mechanical and un-oiled compared to the Canon it will be replacing. The printer does have 4 cartridge slots, which makes sense to me from the point of view of avoiding uneccessary expense of replacing an all in one cartridge. The scanning was very straightforward, as was copying. Quality of print I would rate as high. Photos are OK - nothing deeply special.

Like any new printer, getting replacement ink is costly, although I note that roughly half price compatible cartridges are already available.

Overall, not bad, especially if you are deaf.
on 10 October 2011
having traded in the Kodak version as it was dissatisfactory- we though things would be on the up going back to HP.

Most things are good quality as one would expect, apart from the page alignment. We are not the first to complain (on-line) about badly aligned pages. The fixes given do not help much (mere bodges?) regarding cleaning heads and cartridge alignment - seems a bit far fetched for a brand new printer.

Looking closely at the paper tray - the top of the A4 sheets of paper seem incapable of lining up parallel to the line indicating A4 paper - this seems like a manufacturing/mechanical issue.

My partner does a lot of professional typing on headed paper and even the slightest misalignment stands out (in the order of 2mm delta top to bottom). We'll be taking this back for another or something different... Would still choose HP though...
66 comments|116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 October 2011
I bought this printer as we now have three laptops in the house and a PC - all with different operating systems.

The laptop with Vista o/s was a doddle to set-up. But then came trying to set-up the Mac with 10.7 lion. A note with the printer said not to use the software CD for 10.7 lion but to download it from the website, which I did. That was the easy bit but then at the end of a successful set-up my documents wouldn't print. I rang the Helpline but after giving all my details the guy said it was a 10 minute wait and at 5p per minute I didn't hold on. I asked for a call back but he said I had to do that on-line (and he was a bit rude about it). I went on-line but there was no call back facility. I tried to register for on-line support but it didn't recognise my product as it had only just been registered. So I looked for a solution in their problem pages.It seems I had to register the IP address manually in the installation set-up and after very, very carefully following the instructions which were not entirely clear I managed to get it to print. Yay.

Then I registered for e-print which was very simple and is fab. One simple e-mail address (and you get to choose the prefix) and you can send a document to your printer from anywhere and any device so long as it can send an e-mail with an attachment.

I have yet to set-up the other laptop and PC. I like the printer and was very easy to set-up but it was a bit of hassle if you have a mac. I like the way I can print straight from an SD card as well. Yes it is noisy at start-up, as others have posted.
on 14 December 2011
Bought this printer 3 months ago and was very pleased with easy set up and print quality but despite the 364XL cartridges promising 400+ pages of print, I'm getting less than 200 pages per cartridge - I shudder to think how few I'd get with standard-sized cartridges or if I printed images as well as documents.
on 3 January 2012
I bought this printer on the basis of the positive reviews, and the apparently impressive specification for the price. No doubt Amazon have a good price as at January 2012, but you will find that you get what you pay for.
Setup was straightforward - the wireless connection and ePrint worked first time. The touchscreen was satisfactory.
The low price showed first of all in the construction. It is clunkily made with second rate attention to detail and design finesse. It is also noisy and gives the impression that it will not wear well.
Then there is the software. Having had an HP PSC 1610 previously I was used to HP Solution Center, with a reasonable range of printing and scanning options, as well as OCR capabilities. Forget that with this model. If you try to get Solution Center to work with it, HP have made sure that is a no starter. Instead you are left with a basic interface reminiscent of Windows 95, with very few options available.
The most serious criticism regards the printer tray and consequent print performance. I have seen more plastic on a sweet wrapper than HP have put into the paper retainers and out tray. The result is that pages don't feed straight, or start printing at the same point on the page each time. Totally unsuitable where presentation is important. My machine also made smearing black lines at the top of pages. It also seemed to use much more ink than the PSC 1610, so that text printed on standard 80gsm paper, showed through on the reverse side so badly that it made reading text on the reverse difficult.
Can't comment on photo performance. It's off back to Amazon without any further ado, and I'm looking at leaving HP and purchasing a Canon PIXMA MX420 instead.
on 26 October 2011
I purchased my HP 5510 printer after reading the outstanding feedback. I needed a printer to AirPrint to my Ipad and the HP 5510 seemed ideal.

The 5510 was the easiest peace of software I have ever installed. Just switch on and follow the prompts and it found my router immediately. Next the the ink cartridges were installed. I Down loaded software drivers from the HP web site as this way you get the newest updated drivers and software.

Completed test prints from my Ipad and PC with no problems. Was a bit concerned I would have problems scanning and printing from some of my PC software. I keep all my data on paperport, no problems so far.

Some users have reported a problem aliening the print cartridges. I had similar problems until I realised the alignment page is placed on the glass with top of the page on the right front corner. All my previous scanners were the other way round. That's what I get from not reading the instructions.

I agree the printer is noisy when switching on but this is the only down side well worth the five stars.
0Comment|121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2012
I've now had three of these printers and each one prints a good 3/4 cm askew. HP offered me a REFURBISHED machine in replacement of the BRAND NEW one I PAID for. If I'd wanted a second hand printer, I'd have ordered one. I refused it, and went back to Amazon who kindly sent me a brand new replacement. Sadly, that too printed out of line to the EXACT same degree. (Yes, I'm that sad. I measured the amount that the alignment was out. 7.5mm askew.)
Amazon were great and refunded my money so I have no complaints or issues with Amazon. I eventually got yet another HP 5510 but this one also has the exact same fault.
Despite the literally hundreds of complaints about this fault that I've read in various online forums, HP claim that this problem HAS NOT BEEN REPORTED to them, and I have to say it doesn't appear in the reviews on their website. Methinks someone may be being a little "selective" with what gets posted, and what doesn't.
After being loyal to HP since the mid 90's I am disgusted with how HP now treat us customers. Hours on the phone with a techie gave no results and the fault is apparent, and identical in ALL THREE units I've had. HP have been totally unwilling to do ANYTHING about it except to send me a SECOND HAND REPLACEMENT, which ALSO DOES NOT PRINT PROPERLY!!
Do I SOUND ANGRY ENOUGH?!! LOL
11 comment|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 December 2011
A fantastic printer for the money. Clever e-feature, you can email from your phone or a computer to the printer. It is very easy to set up, has lots of extra features online, uses wireless seamlessly and the cartridges are separate, saves money. Pleased with this, scans really well and the print quality is very good. For the price, a good buy.