5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portable drive

1.0 out of 5 stars Real Problems
Published 16 months ago by Susman

1.0 out of 5 stars Real Problems, 10 Nov. 2013
Susman "Susman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: LaCie Rugged Mini USB 3.0/ USB 2.0 500GB Hard Disk Drive - 5400rpm (Personal Computers)
Based on the specifications, and the reviews of this storage device on Amazon, I bought two to solve my storage needs (at different times). Plus I also liked and it's perceived `ruggedness' of said product. The first device died after having it for the less than 24 hours! It appears the controller card failed - very poor. The second drive lasted 6 months, it never failed outright but the heat issues were such that you could burn yourself, and hence I returned it. These devices were never abused and were used with care. I may have been unlucky, but it has stopped me buying another of these products by LaCie. Credit to Amazon for very good customer service with resolving the issues I had. Search the Web and see other reviews and blogs, as I am not the only person to have real problems with these devices. Clearly these devices are more style than function - all very poor and hence not recommended at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portable drive, 30 Sept. 2011
I'm a designer and often have to exchange work files with my colleagues at the office and on the go. My old memory stick was not enough for me anymore, so I decided to buy this Rugged drive. The drive is fast and quiet, has a solid aluminum enclosure, is pressure resistant and has an excellent design. The drive comes with a nice choice of user-friendly software for automatic backup and data encryption. One of the significant advantages of this model is that it's very rugged, highly portable and can be password protected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy with this drive, 31 Oct. 2011
I bought this drive to share project files with my colleagues. Rugged Mini is an ideal solution for this purpose! No matter how hard it's working it doesn't overheat or make any noise. The casing is scratch-resistant and very well made. The device is pleasant to use, the casing is made of strong aluminum. As a bonus I also got 10GB of cloud storage space on wuala.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 22 July 2014
This devices does what is is supposed to do, and it is one of the easiest to set up and use, based on my experience of having used various different USB storage drives.

I bought this specifically for "Time Machine" backups on my Apple MacBook Pro (Time Machine being the proprietary backup built in to the operating system) and it was an absolute breeze. Plugging the drive into the USB port, an icon appears on the screen and what follows shows a well thought out piece of installation software. It even formats the drive for use with the Mac Operating System. It can install backup software, but only if you want it to. I didn't have it install any software because I didn't need what was offered, so it just set up and it's working perfectly.

Windows users will find the experience just as easy - the software will simply format the drive for windows. No concerns and no drama.

Finally a piece of advice to Mac users: if like me you wish to use this drive for TM backups, you must have the software format the drive as "hfs+" and not the usual windows format. Time Machine won't back up to windows-formatted drives I'm afraid, so please be clear as to how you wish to use it before setting it up. That said, you can always reformat in the future if you want to re-purpose the drive for something else.

1.0 out of 5 stars It lasted a week from having received it!, 7 Jun. 2014
Loaded up the Lacie, took it to college, (didn't drop it),plugged it into a computer , all OK, it then decided to disengage itself without being touched, and I was unable to retrieve any of my film work that I had backed up on there. All within a week of having purchased new. Totally unreliable product. Absolute rip off.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good external hard drive, 13 Jun. 2012
F. Epinette (UK, London) - See all my reviews
Very good product, small, light and effective.
the cable might be a bit small, but to use with laptops, it's great.

thanks to the merchant as well for this simple and quick delivery

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine with laptop, but not working with TV, 20 May 2012
This product gets 4 stars from me because it works fine with laptop and PC and has good protection against smashes and water. However I bought it to connect to TV so I could start the kids movies from it, and it could survive my 2 year olds' "care" as well. Disappointingly my Samsung Smart LED TV does not recognize it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, very portable!, 13 Feb. 2015
Awesome. Very quick to transfer thanks to USB 3.0 which is a godsend. I was a little concerned after reading some reviews where owners had reported tech probe with theirs. I agree that the socket on the device which you connect the usb cable to seems a little week, however I think as long as you are careful - I disconnect the lead from the drive as well as my Mac when I am travelling so that it minimises any chance of the led or the connector from breaking or bending.

My friends have been so impressed they have bought both the mini and the larger versions and so far I haven't heard of any problems. Love the colour of the silicone jacket - I don't think the drive is indestructible but I do agree that it seems tough in line with what I take the term 'rugged' to mean. Just be careful inserting and disconnecting the lead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after one week, 16 Jun. 2014
Says it all in the heading, based on the Lacie write up I thought this was a great option but it stopped working after a week and nearly derailed a large project I've been working on. Wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor connection- not worth it., 8 Sept. 2014
Loose connection after just a few weeks. Which is rubbish if you use it for source while editing with Final Cut.

I could have sent it back but I couldn't be bothered at the time (what on EARTH was I thinking?!) as reviewers said that they are all like that.

I might just take it to bits and see if I can repair it (it's not rocket science) as I do like the casing.