5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Music, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Hackney Colliery Band (Audio CD)
I came across these guys whilst seeing they were supporting the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble. They performed a top notch show and part of that is the strong material which is on CD.
The songs have enough variation to allow listening to the full cd without wanting to skip tracks. Personal favourites of the originals are GTFA and Slow Burn, two quite different tunes but equally good. The covers a gems too, No Diggity is a brilliant take whilst Africa by Toto and Under the Bridge bring new life to these songs.

All in all highly recommended and look for a gig near you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 July 2011
J Crumpton - See all my reviews
I don't like the brass band sound, feels too old to me, but I was really taken by their Africa single, which is a cover of Africa from Toto. You'll recognise some of the other tracks on here too. I didn't manage to see them live (I live in Hackney) but their sound is totally portable! Amazing and well worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Hackney Colliery Band (Audio CD)
Great cd bringing brass band into the twenty first century, the last track is amazing - Go see them live!

4.0 out of 5 stars funky, 2 Jun 2013
I enjoyed it. They're not the most polished brass band going, but they ooze fun and funk, and that's much more important!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great brass band funky tunes., 23 April 2013
This review is from: Hackney Colliery Band (Audio CD)
Outstanding album, great brass band funky tunes. Even my girlfriend enjoyed the funky tunes.

Particularly like the Under the Bridge and Africa covers.

Hope I can see them live soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album, 18 Dec 2012
I am a convert to this band. They aren't even a colliery band! They are an amazing jazz band who I would love to see (but they don't come up North that often).

4.0 out of 5 stars Different genre of sound!!, 23 July 2012
This review is from: Hackney Colliery Band (Audio CD)
Playing in a brass band myself, I thought" A Colliery Brass Band In Hackney??" LOL!,So I was curious so I bought it. It took a long car journey to listen to this in one go but after the second and third listen I very much enjoyed it. It isnt the usual Brass Band, theres only 10 of them and sadly only one girl in the Ensemble. I say Ensemble as that is what it is it is... NOT a 'conventional' Brass Band as it comes over as a 'funk-Jazz Brass Band' and that IS different!! It takes a while to get in to if like me you love a good Brass Band but it DOES work the sound delights the ears and is good to listen to in the car on a sunny day or late at night with a cool wine!! Instead of a Tuba or Bass Bb as we call the 'deep' end of the band they have Jeff Miller on a 'Sousaphone' an instrument that has a deep bass sound designed by the brass composer, Mr Sousa and it wraps around the body like a french horn would or a handbag!! Lol
Listen to what I considered the best tracks Toto's 'Africa' and Red Hot Chilli Pepper's ' Under the bridge'
Its good stuff, good on the ears and a fine Cd at a good price by a good bunch of 'quirky' Musicians....If you love music you WILL love this Cd, If you love 'Quirky' you will also love this!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great album, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Hackney Colliery Band (Audio CD)
i first heard of HCB at a party and the infectious nature of the music forced me to buy this album.

the great part was the free download from amazon, so i could listen to the music straight away.

Hackney Colliery Band
Hackney Colliery Band by Hackney Colliery Band (Audio CD - 2011)