5.0 out of 5 stars Brideshead Revisited - The Complete Collection
Published on 17 Mar. 2012 by martateacher3y5

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Series but lousy DVD - digital destruction
First off I am a HUGE fan of this series and this is the third time I have bought a copy (mainly because of the promised restoration, commentaries and documentary) but this is by far the worst copy I have seen (even including VHS).

Published on 1 Feb. 2013 by Carol Haynes

5.0 out of 5 stars Brideshead Revisited - The Complete Collection, 17 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Brideshead Revisited: The Complete Collection (30th Anniversary Remastered Edition) [DVD] [1981] (DVD)
I watched the series when it first appeared on TV 30 years ago. I was 15 at the time and I kept myself awake until past midnight even if I had school the next day because I loved it so much. Then I watched the film a few months ago and it appalled me. It was not at all what I remembered. So, when I saw the series pack in Amazon, I bought it. You never know how you are going to feel about something you liked so long ago, but this time I wasn't disappointed. Brideshead Revisited not as good as I remembered; it was so much better. The acting is superb, the costumes and characterization impressive and the atmosphere in scenes such as the hunting party at Brideshead or the storm when Charles and Julia are crossing the Atlantic is almost magical. And with no special effects! Like a good wine, the series has gained with the pass of time and there are elements I now appreciate much more, like the fine irony and sense of humour of Sir John Guielgud's remarks or the conversation between Chales and Anthony Blanche during the wild party after the general strike. All is subtle in the series as opposed to the film version. In concusion, Brideshead Revisited is television at its best and time hasn't done but make it better. Highly recommendable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Television of the highest quality, 13 Nov. 2008
This is a staggeringly good piece of TV drama which has justifiably become a classic. It's hard to imagine any producer today taking the time to explore a novel in the way this adaptation does, a full 11 episodes which allow the viewer to luxuriate in the story and thoroughly explore the characters. There has always been debate over whether there was a mythological "Golden Age of TV", but I think the early 1980s saw something quite remarkable at Granada Studios, at least in the field of period adaptations, and Brideshead might just be the pinnacle.

Evelyn Waugh's novel is a heady evocation of time and place, as well as an exploration of spirituality, and the series captures all this with consummate skill, from the glorious period detail to the brilliant script by John Mortimer. The acting is simply faultless, to be expected when talent like Irons and Andrews stands alongside veteran greats like Olivier, Gielgud and Claire Bloom.

In sum, I enjoyed this series immensely. Craft and class like this don't come together very often, more's the pity.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Brideshead Revisited" and Remastered, 29 Nov. 2011
RR Waller "ISeneca" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is an outstanding televison drama which set the highest of standards in an already outstanding list of television costume dramas, this one by Granada. It was a long series, giving the directors the opportunity to develop the characters slowly and in depth. Evelyn Waugh's narrative is of two young men who meet at Oxford. Charles Ryder, though of no family or money, becomes friends with Sebastian Flyte when Sebastian throws up in his college room through an open window. He then invites Charles to dinner after his teddy bear Aloysius 'refuses to talk to him' unless he is forgiven. Charles becomes involved with Sebastian's family, Catholic peers of the realm in Protestant England.

It is film of an era long gone, one which the war and the people themselves helped to destroy.

It is a moving series based on a great, classic modern novel with sharp contrasts in life-styles, attitudes and aspirations whihc brings them face-to-face with each other and their values.

A classic television series highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Series but lousy DVD - digital destruction, 1 Feb. 2013
Carol Haynes (North Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews

The adaptation by the late, and much missed, John Mortimer is a work of true genius and should be required watching/reading for all aspiring adaptors for the screen - it is true to the original and captures just about every nuance of the book and the production values so perfect that I find it impossible to read the book now without the tone of Jeremy Iron's voice pervading the pages and the visuals of Castle Howard. The more recent movie adaptation by Andrew Davies is a pale travesty in comparison and far removed from this wonderful adaptation produced by Granada TV.

Now on to this 'product' ...

It proclaims itself the 30th Anniversary Edition and Digitally Remastered - well whoever did the remastering either worked from a very degraded tape or just did and truly awful job and should be sacked so they cannot be let near archive material again.

The colours in this release are truly dreadful being almost completely washed out. Every shot, especially outdoors, looks like the film was badly over exposed so the greens of the fields and trees have no depth (and no mid or low tones), the skies are almost universally washed out and white or, at best, a slightly bluish-grey. The worst is that skin tones are appalling - everyone looks seriously ill, even in the happy early episodes - they all share a grey pallor.

I couldn't quite believe what I was looking at so I dug out an old DVD copy (see Brideshead Revisited: the Complete Series [DVD] [1981] ) and compared the scenes in the first episode where Charles meets Julia and they arrive at Brideshead. The older edition (which was remastered too) is beautiful and vibrant. The colours pop - the slight sexual tension Charles feels as he lights a cigarette for Julia and places it between her lips makes sense as the greens of the surrounding nature and the red of her lips are emphasised, he skies are blue and their skin tones look full of youthful promise.

If you want a decent copy of this series I recommend the older edition strongly. OK It is more expensive and harder to get hold of but it is a treasure. You don't get the commentary or documentary in the older edition but the series is the important part.

The packaging on the older edition is also rather lovely with beautiful two sided artwork on textured card (almost a vellum finish) with a fold out set of separate DVD trays. The episodes are also listed, with cast cameos. The new version is a cheap plastic DVD case holding four DVDs in compact/stacked format but no artwork and no episode list. For an edition supposed to commemorate the 30th anniversary they seem to have gone out of their way to make it as cheap and tacky as possible - even the external artwork is pretty bland.

Verdict:
The programme: More stars than I can give, it is one of the pinnacles of television achievement and outclasses almost all big screen adaptations
This release: If I could give less than zero I would.

Overall I gave this 3 stars because I can't fault the script, acting, directing or filming but it is impossible to recommend this release. The earlier edition would get 5 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONe of the greatest pieces of TV - ever!, 4 Oct. 2008
Quite simply this is brilliant. Producing the book as a TV series gave the director the opportunity to indulge in Waugh's lush and vivid text and whole sections of the book are quoted verbatim. And of course, in hindsight, the casting was inspired, with Jeremy Irons as Rider and Anthony Andrews as the rather beautiful Sebastian Flyte. But don't forget such cameo's as Nikolas Grace as the effete Anthony Blanche - masterful!
The film I understand, leaves a lot to be desired, so better to buy this AND read the book. You will regret buying neither.

2.0 out of 5 stars No big difference, 26 Mar. 2014
I bought this remastered edition expecting that the quality would be much better than the first release on DVD. I was pretty disappointed, as the quality does not live up to my expectations. It still seems like the series is filmed in bad quality, and the resolution could be much better taken in consideration, that this remastered edition is from 2012 (to my knowledge).

5.0 out of 5 stars A faithfully portrayed and wonderfully acted series, 31 Oct. 2014
Having suffered some extremely poor screen portrayals of superb novels of which I know the text very well I was wary about getting this one. And when I did get it and played the opening episode I very nearly didn't bother to look at the rest because of a silly mistake in which Captain Charles Ryder adresses his Colour Sergeant (three stripes and a crown on his upper sleeve) as 'Sergeant Major' because Company Sergeant Majors have a large crown at the wrist-end of the sleeve. I thought : well, if that's the attention to detail to be expected in the rest of this thing, then I won't bother.

But I was wrong --- totally wrong --- and when I did get round to watching the rest, I could hardly stop. This is a wonderful series. John Mortimer, the adapter who is given credit for the transformation from book to screen, would have deserved much credit -- if he had indeed been the adapter, because in fact it was all done by Derek Granger and director Charles Sturridge who get little if any kudos for their brilliance (along with a most skilled team, I hasten to add).

If you don't know the story -- look at this series of videos. If you DO know the story --- look at this series of videos.

Perhaps it's the lesser characters who come out best, in fact, although Irons, Andrews, Bloom and Quick are marvellous. The portrayals of Ryder's father by Gielgud and of Lord Marchmain by Olivier are truly marvellous. They teeter on the verge of comedy but -- just as one would expect of such geniuses -- bring their characters back to believability and drama just before you think they might be falling into caricature.

Charles Keating's acting as Rex Mottram is astonishingly accurate, and I suppose I single that one out because I considered it the most difficult of all to represent on the screen. The Paris restaurant scene with Charles Ryder is especially good. Exactly to the book -- well, all of it is ; but this one must have been especially difficult to adapt, act and produce, because it isn't dramatic, but explanatory. Always a tricky thing to do.

Then there's the more or less cameo part of Father Mowbray in which John le Mesurier is made to measure. I wonder who on earth could have been cast in that tiny but splendid part if he hadn't taken it. Then there are Simon Jones, Phoebe Nicholls, Jeremy Sinden, Nickolas Grace, Jane Asher . . . they're all marvellous. Nanny by Mona Washbourne . . . she was made for the part.

The whole thing is splendid. I could go on and on about the sensitivity of the acting by all of the players, and it's wrong to select individuals, because there isn't one single character who isn't represented absolutely faithfully -- apart from that poor Staff Sergeant.

I first read Brideshead over fifty years ago. Indeed I wrote a thesis on its relevance to Catholicism of the period and so on and so on, most pompously, and thought I knew it from cover to cover. Well maybe I did : but I know it better, now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tainted Masterpiece, 27 Jan. 2011
S. Baldwin (UK) - See all my reviews
This is truely a great piece of television and a wonderful story, produced to great effect. My only regret is that this cheap version appears not to have been digitally remastered. A previously available and mroe expensive DVD of this product was available, but I lost my copy and purchased this assuming it to be a direct replacement, as the earlier remastered version was no longer available. I was wrong. While they have introduced a few new features, the qulaity of the image is poor. Admittedly better than my VHS copy, but very very poor by remasterd DVD standards.

Why, oh why, will Granada not do right by this materpiece and publish a definitive DVD version, remastered in all its splendor?

This is the best that's available now and still great viewing for a story of a life that unfolds at the speed of life, enjoying the journey and not just rushing to the destination - enjoy the ride, it is a visual and audio feast, not soemthing that I suspect will be greatly enjoyed by those who view by sound-bites.

4.0 out of 5 stars The England We Wish It Were, 5 May 2013
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I did a revisit of 'Brideshead Revisited', the Granada TV episode film that made television history. How many of us on Sunday evening sat mesmerized by Masterpiece Theatre of this amazing series? Visiting 25 years later, I found the same marvelous setting of lushness, depravity, religious fervor and fascinating figures of long ago. The film holds up well, the color beautiful and the story can be told over and over again.

'Brideshead Revisited' gives me a yearning for an England that is no more. On he eve of World War II,Charles Ryder, played by Jeremy Irons, is the narrator of the series. He is in the English Army and returns unexpectedly to Brideshead. He tells, in flashback style, the story of his time at the home and with the family. Charles starts the story with his first day at Oxford and his meeting with Sebastian Flyte, played by Anthony Andrews. The series is quite open about the homosexual relationship between Charles and Sebastian. Charles tries to be the protector and care for Sebastian as he falls prey to his vices and alcoholism. Their time in Venice where Charles meets Lord Marchmain. A new world has opened for him. The love and loss of Sebastian occurs in the first 5-6 hours and then the time in-between when Charles produces his art, falls in love and has a family. Then the meeting of Julia, played by Diana Quick, on the QE II crossing and how their love develops and blossoms. And finally the last few hours at Brideshead when divorce occurs and marriage to Julia becomes possible. Until Lord Marchmain returns home to die and all things change.

'Brideshead Revisited' was made by Granada television, and the television series was written by John Mortimer in October 1981. Evelyn Waugh wrote the novel and it has been proclaimed by the New York Times as the best of his novels. This is a series of 11 episodes that will keep you riveted. One of the best series ever made.

I must discuss the beautiful music written and directed by Geoffrey Burgon. The soundtrack is so memorable and my favorite pieces are 'Sebastian's Summer' and 'Julia In Love'. There are 16 tracks and the music is still available.

The actors in this series are all top-notch. Claire Bloom as Lady Marchmain, Sir Laurence Olivier as Lord Marchmain, Sir John Gielgud as Charles remote father. All the characters are well developed and rich in their history of England. The 25Th Anniversary DVD holds up to its age and everything is as it should be. One of the most memorable Granada series that holds its claim to fame.

Recommended. prisrob 05-05-13

5.0 out of 5 stars Television's greatest moment!, 10 July 2009
T Everson (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
I can't think of any other television programme as perfect as Brideshead Revisited. The acting throughout is amazing, with the standout performances of Jeremy Irons, Anthony Andrews and Diana Quick complemented by cameos by such legendary actors as Sir Laurence Olivier and Sir John Gielgud.

Granada decided to pull out all the stops when producing this adaptation of Waugh's masterly work, determined to show they could produce drama to rival the BBC's lavish productions. With Brideshead, they succeeded admirably.

This also stands alone as arguably the only example of a production where the script literally is the book. There are hardly any omissions, and because of this the 11-part story is able to breathe and the characters really come to life. The entire production was shot on location, at a number of sites from Yorkshire's stately Castle Howard to the canals of Venice.

The story is told through the eyes of Charles Ryder (Irons) who looks back on his youth at Oxford university from the Second World War. The story moves froms the decadence of the 1920s right through to the War, and shows Charles' relationship with the Flyte family, an enormously rich Catholic family. I'll say no more on the story, other than as a piece of entertaining escapism, this is without peer.

So, as I think you can gather, I highly recommend this - it's the DVD I have watched so much I've had to by another as my last one has literally fallen apart. The special features are excellent as well, with a making of documentary, commentaries on a couple of episodes by the actors and producer, as well as a great blooper reel.

I hate ending in a quote, but in this case I'll indulge myself.

"But I was in search of love in those days, and I went full of curiosity and the faint, unrecognized apprehension that here, at last, I should find that low door in the wall, which others, I knew, had found before me, which opened on an enclosed and enchanted garden, which was somewhere, not overlooked by any window, in the heart of that grey city."