5.0 out of 5 stars Brideshead Revisited - The Complete Collection
Published on 17 Mar 2012 by martateacher3y5

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing image quality
They have done a much better job of noise reduction than they did with the 3 disc remastered set, but gamma is set too low. This brings-out a lot of detail in in-door scenes but ruins the out-door scenes. The trip to brideshead is washed-out. Contrast is weak, colours are faded. Faces look like clay-mation.
Published on 30 Nov 2011 by zakk

5.0 out of 5 stars Brideshead Revisited - The Complete Collection, 17 Mar 2012
This review is from: Brideshead Revisited: The Complete Collection (30th Anniversary Remastered Edition) [DVD] [1981] (DVD)
I watched the series when it first appeared on TV 30 years ago. I was 15 at the time and I kept myself awake until past midnight even if I had school the next day because I loved it so much. Then I watched the film a few months ago and it appalled me. It was not at all what I remembered. So, when I saw the series pack in Amazon, I bought it. You never know how you are going to feel about something you liked so long ago, but this time I wasn't disappointed. Brideshead Revisited not as good as I remembered; it was so much better. The acting is superb, the costumes and characterization impressive and the atmosphere in scenes such as the hunting party at Brideshead or the storm when Charles and Julia are crossing the Atlantic is almost magical. And with no special effects! Like a good wine, the series has gained with the pass of time and there are elements I now appreciate much more, like the fine irony and sense of humour of Sir John Guielgud's remarks or the conversation between Chales and Anthony Blanche during the wild party after the general strike. All is subtle in the series as opposed to the film version. In concusion, Brideshead Revisited is television at its best and time hasn't done but make it better. Highly recommendable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing image quality, 30 Nov 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Like reading the book., 4 Dec 2011
old arkiedan (Middle America) - See all my reviews
Enough has already been said about Brideshead Revisited so I'll confine my short review to the image quality.

I loved the series when it was on PBS here in the US and I love the DVD set even more. Wonderful to "revisit" Brideshead again. As for the digital remastering? Not really special. The original print must have been a rough one because the video quality is spotty at best. At least they didn't apply excessive noise compression to hide the grainy look. That said, I had no problem watching these DVDs on a 60" HD flat panel TV. In any case, I got into the wonderful writing and great production values so deeply that I stopped noticing the video quality.

Overall, I'm extremely happy to have this wonderful series on my DVD rack. I'll undoubtedly view this series annually.

arkiedan

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Series but lousy DVD - digital destruction, 1 Feb 2013
Amazon Customer (North Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
First off I am a HUGE fan of this series and this is the third time I have bought a copy (mainly because of the promised restoration, commentaries and documentary) but this is by far the worst copy I have seen (even including VHS).

The adaptation by the late, and much missed, John Mortimer is a work of true genius and should be required watching/reading for all aspiring adaptors for the screen - it is true to the original and captures just about every nuance of the book and the production values so perfect that I find it impossible to read the book now without the tone of Jeremy Iron's voice pervading the pages and the visuals of Castle Howard. The more recent movie adaptation by Andrew Davies is a pale travesty in comparison and far removed from this wonderful adaptation produced by Granada TV.

Now on to this 'product' ...

It proclaims itself the 30th Anniversary Edition and Digitally Remastered - well whoever did the remastering either worked from a very degraded tape or just did and truly awful job and should be sacked so they cannot be let near archive material again.

The colours in this release are truly dreadful being almost completely washed out. Every shot, especially outdoors, looks like the film was badly over exposed so the greens of the fields and trees have no depth (and no mid or low tones), the skies are almost universally washed out and white or, at best, a slightly bluish-grey. The worst is that skin tones are appalling - everyone looks seriously ill, even in the happy early episodes - they all share a grey pallor.

I couldn't quite believe what I was looking at so I dug out an old DVD copy (see Brideshead Revisited: the Complete Series [DVD] [1981] ) and compared the scenes in the first episode where Charles meets Julia and they arrive at Brideshead. The older edition (which was remastered too) is beautiful and vibrant. The colours pop - the slight sexual tension Charles feels as he lights a cigarette for Julia and places it between her lips makes sense as the greens of the surrounding nature and the red of her lips are emphasised, he skies are blue and their skin tones look full of youthful promise.

If you want a decent copy of this series I recommend the older edition strongly. OK It is more expensive and harder to get hold of but it is a treasure. You don't get the commentary or documentary in the older edition but the series is the important part.

The packaging on the older edition is also rather lovely with beautiful two sided artwork on textured card (almost a vellum finish) with a fold out set of separate DVD trays. The episodes are also listed, with cast cameos. The new version is a cheap plastic DVD case holding four DVDs in compact/stacked format but no artwork and no episode list. For an edition supposed to commemorate the 30th anniversary they seem to have gone out of their way to make it as cheap and tacky as possible - even the external artwork is pretty bland.

Verdict:
The programme: More stars than I can give, it is one of the pinnacles of television achievement and outclasses almost all big screen adaptations
This release: If I could give less than zero I would.

Overall I gave this 3 stars because I can't fault the script, acting, directing or filming but it is impossible to recommend this release. The earlier edition would get 5 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Brideshead Revisited" and Remastered, 29 Nov 2011
RR Waller "ISeneca" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is an outstanding televison drama which set the highest of standards in an already outstanding list of television costume dramas, this one by Granada. It was a long series, giving the directors the opportunity to develop the characters slowly and in depth. Evelyn Waugh's narrative is of two young men who meet at Oxford. Charles Ryder, though of no family or money, becomes friends with Sebastian Flyte when Sebastian throws up in his college room through an open window. He then invites Charles to dinner after his teddy bear Aloysius 'refuses to talk to him' unless he is forgiven. Charles becomes involved with Sebastian's family, Catholic peers of the realm in Protestant England.

It is film of an era long gone, one which the war and the people themselves helped to destroy.

It is a moving series based on a great, classic modern novel with sharp contrasts in life-styles, attitudes and aspirations whihc brings them face-to-face with each other and their values.

A classic television series highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars No big difference, 26 Mar 2014
I bought this remastered edition expecting that the quality would be much better than the first release on DVD. I was pretty disappointed, as the quality does not live up to my expectations. It still seems like the series is filmed in bad quality, and the resolution could be much better taken in consideration, that this remastered edition is from 2012 (to my knowledge).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 16 Feb 2012
Liz Taylor (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I didn't know what to expect as i hadn't seen a lot of it when on originally. It is a beautiful, gentle series which is lovely to wile away a little time with. The quality of the DVDs are perfect, it could have been shot yesterday. It is nice at times to have something which doesn't tax the mind with rushing around and clever plots. Perhaps more a women's series than a mans but there again, who am I to say?

4.0 out of 5 stars Brideshead revisited Digitally Remastered Edition, 5 Sep 2012
Brideshead Revisited is a classic and its version with Jeremy Irons as Charles Ryder is unquestionably the best one.
This version is digitally remastered and is an improvement to the old original - though not as good as it could have been e.g. making the faces look a quantum too pale and flat. But as of this date (Sept. 5th 2012) there is nothing better than this.

4.0 out of 5 stars The England We Wish It Were, 5 May 2013
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I did a revisit of 'Brideshead Revisited', the Granada TV episode film that made television history. How many of us on Sunday evening sat mesmerized by Masterpiece Theatre of this amazing series? Visiting 25 years later, I found the same marvelous setting of lushness, depravity, religious fervor and fascinating figures of long ago. The film holds up well, the color beautiful and the story can be told over and over again.

'Brideshead Revisited' gives me a yearning for an England that is no more. On he eve of World War II,Charles Ryder, played by Jeremy Irons, is the narrator of the series. He is in the English Army and returns unexpectedly to Brideshead. He tells, in flashback style, the story of his time at the home and with the family. Charles starts the story with his first day at Oxford and his meeting with Sebastian Flyte, played by Anthony Andrews. The series is quite open about the homosexual relationship between Charles and Sebastian. Charles tries to be the protector and care for Sebastian as he falls prey to his vices and alcoholism. Their time in Venice where Charles meets Lord Marchmain. A new world has opened for him. The love and loss of Sebastian occurs in the first 5-6 hours and then the time in-between when Charles produces his art, falls in love and has a family. Then the meeting of Julia, played by Diana Quick, on the QE II crossing and how their love develops and blossoms. And finally the last few hours at Brideshead when divorce occurs and marriage to Julia becomes possible. Until Lord Marchmain returns home to die and all things change.

'Brideshead Revisited' was made by Granada television, and the television series was written by John Mortimer in October 1981. Evelyn Waugh wrote the novel and it has been proclaimed by the New York Times as the best of his novels. This is a series of 11 episodes that will keep you riveted. One of the best series ever made.

I must discuss the beautiful music written and directed by Geoffrey Burgon. The soundtrack is so memorable and my favorite pieces are 'Sebastian's Summer' and 'Julia In Love'. There are 16 tracks and the music is still available.

The actors in this series are all top-notch. Claire Bloom as Lady Marchmain, Sir Laurence Olivier as Lord Marchmain, Sir John Gielgud as Charles remote father. All the characters are well developed and rich in their history of England. The 25Th Anniversary DVD holds up to its age and everything is as it should be. One of the most memorable BBC series that holds its claim to fame.

Recommended. prisrob 05-05-13

5.0 out of 5 stars Revisitation, 14 Jan 2013
Alison Cope (Staffs, England) - See all my reviews
Nostalgia for Aloysius the Bear caused me to buy this and rewatch it. Slight disappointment that there was far less of Aloysius' presence than I thought I remembered, but an excellent period drama. The music is haunting, and the performances from Antony Andrews, Jeremy Irons and the rest are excellent.