5.0 out of 5 stars Master the art of belly dancing with relative ease!, 21 Aug 2011
Sarah Sheikh - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: THE BELLYDANCE WORKOUT WITH SAMSARA [DVD] (DVD)
Bellydance the Workout DVD commences with Warm up and Stretch, and is a very gentle warm up, but I feel adequately warmed up even though it is a short warm up, and is novel to be using belly dance moves to warm up - a first for myself and I really enjoyed it.

For section 1, it is amazing just how fast you can learn Bellydance movements when it is explained clearly and slowly. I recall following a video on youtube to learn belly dancing, but it was not broken down or explained slowly and clearly, and I was soon out of sequence and behind. Needless to say I quit watching the video, and have not tried again until this DVD. I am amazed I'm really following the belly dance routine, however slowly, and am discovering my hips could be a lot more flexible, and probably will be if I practise this routine regularly. I'm not sure how many people would have hips quite this flexible without practicing belly dancing or something similar, but in any case, I'm grateful for the opportunity to increase my flexibility in this area. Not recommended to follow this DVD too close to eating a meal, as you are moving in a complete figure of eight. Expect to circle your hips a lot in this routine! Samsara encourages you every so often with "good" or "well-done", even though she cannot see you (no comments on what she might say for my own first attempt!), and reminds you to breathe, and to "watch what you are doing" - which is probably more possible after you have watched the DVD through once to start with, otherwise you will miss watching what she is doing! I tried to do a little of both, of watching the DVD, and watching what I was doing. I'm beginning to feel a little flutter of confidence growing - I can do it, even if not perfectly, but it is my first watching and following of the sequences.

Bellydance the Workout is sure to allow you to tap into and express your more feminine side. There is an intricate art to belly dancing. There is not really any other exercises that are that similar to compare, except when I learnt ballet, it was a similar focus on intricate movements that creates the wonderful dance. The DVD is really learning to belly dance, rather than just a workout routine, using belly dance movements, so there is a lot to learn. Some prior fitness and flexibility are an advantage to really be able to flow into the movements with more ease and grace. Several movements are taught, and then Samsara brings all of the separate movements into one dance. These exercises require a new type of co-ordination, and one that is worth striving forth to attain.

For section 2, you will require more stamina, and it will build such up by following the routine. Samsara makes many comments to make it a fun routine to follow. I'm amazed that all of the basic belly dance movements are included, and broken down for the complete novice. Every so often she urges you to move faster and faster to get the calories burning. Expect lots of shaking with section 2, all part of the belly dance routine!

She then puts section 1 and 2 together as a complete workout. When you have learnt the previous sections, and if you are short of time, you could just skip to this part to enjoy the complete routine in one longer uninterrupted flow.

In the bonus material Samsara demonstrates a traditional belly dance, a sword dance, - complete with a sword balanced on her head, and veil dance, complete with beautiful sparkly belly dance outfits, she weaves dances that maybe you can reach towards this level.

Also check out Samsara's website to see her at the Mind Body Spirit Festival, belly dancing to Turkish music, with lots of dramatic hand and body movements...if you practice the moves on this DVD, you will be moving a few steps closer to this dazzling amazing dance. Also notable is that Samsara designs her own outfits. She is a queen of creativity, and has definitely tapped into the essence of femininity, through her sacral chakra, through this dancing!

Even if you would like to learn from a class, I recommend purchasing and following this DVD first, to assist to strengthen your abdominal and hip area, so, yes, this is also a great exercise DVD.

Suitable for beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars the bellydance workout with samsara, 10 Nov 2012
M. R. Walton (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: THE BELLYDANCE WORKOUT WITH SAMSARA [DVD] (DVD)
had watched samsara on fitness tv, wanted her dvd for my own workout at home and im thrilled with how she shows warm ups beforehand and its easy to follwo workout excellent to follow. highly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsara Bellydance DVD, 23 Feb 2012
This review is from: THE BELLYDANCE WORKOUT WITH SAMSARA [DVD] (DVD)
I recomtmend this workout DVD to all beginners. Very energetic with both fast and slow movements. Easy to follow step by step dance movements.

THE BELLYDANCE WORKOUT WITH SAMSARA [DVD]