5.0 out of 5 stars Counting Crows on Blu Ray at last

2.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment
Published on 23 Mar. 2012 by john

5.0 out of 5 stars Counting Crows on Blu Ray at last, 9 Sept. 2011
John Galvin (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: August And Everything After - Live From Town Hall [Blu-ray] [2011] (Blu-ray)
Finally, after all these years, counting crows have released their first live concert. I have seen them many times and it is good to see that this blu ray captures the emotion of their live performances. It looks great and sounds great on Blu ray. As it is the first album it includes some of my fav songs - Sullivan Street, Anna begins, Perfect Blue Buildings and Rain King.

My only gripe is that as they were performing August and Everything After from start to finish, that they did not finish with a rare performance of the "August and Everything after" song.

Hopefully this is the first of more Blu ray releases from them.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Classic Crows Album performed to perfection!, 28 Jan. 2013
Cornish Deadhead "Happy Harv" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This blu-ray had sat on my wish list for so long before I took the plunge and bought it - goodness knows why?

Perhaps it was because I had already purchased the original album when released, the deluxe remastered version (which to me sounds worse than the original!), or perhaps because I have so many live versions of many of the songs. Whatever the reason, I should have purchased it earlier!!

What we have here are the songs performed with every shred of emotion extracted from every phrase. Adam Duritz literally rings the feeling from every word, almost acting the lyrics at times, and I would imagine such a performance very draining. Do not expect the songs to follow the studio versions as he does ramble in places repeating phrases in a similar vein to Van Morrison (who of course copied from one of his main influences John Lee Hooker), but the way he does it simply re-enforces the drama of the lyrics.

My 5 stars are for the concert itself as there is a "bonus" interview with Duritz which is interesting to a point but rambles on too long and is worth only 2 stars in my opinion.

As this is a blu-ray, the sound quality is excellent, so if you have a decent surround sound system and a big screen, crank it up and you're almost there.

As someone who has been a fan of the band since the start and has collected many albums including boots, I can't recommend this disc too highly. My copy came in a slimline case which I welcome as storage is always at a premium.

5.0 out of 5 stars Round here we stay up very very late!, 28 July 2013
Counting Crows are a phenomenal live band. I'm tempted to say that these versions of the songs from August and Everything After are the best. But the truth is they are different, not just from the original album, but also other live recordings. The upbeat version of the Rain King medleyed with Thunder Road is amazing but is it better than the tender, sweet version that opens New Amsterdam: Live At Heineken Music Hall? On that recording Adam Duritz's voice sounded often tender and fragile, which gave the songs a sense of poignancy. Here he thunders like a rock god. And I can't say which I like better.

All the tracks from August and Everything After are present, including Raining in Baltimore which, although not mentioned on the tracklisting, is medleyed with Round Here and the Sordid Humor song Private Archipelago, to form one epic raw nerve of a song lasting just short of 12 minutes. They use the same strategy with Murder of One, blending in Red Hill Mining Town by U2 and Dorris Day (also by Sordid Humor), and Perfect Blue Buildings, which contains Miller's Angels and Sometimes it Snows in April by Prince. So there is a lot of material presented here.

If the vocals are raw, the music is polished with piano and organ providing a framework filled out by guitars, mandolin, pedal steel guitar and underpinned by bass and drums. The sound is never overbearing but it always feels full. And Dan Vickrey's guitar work, which I'll admit I'm not always 100% convinced by, is spot on here. This album has an amazing atmosphere, the crowd joining in the choruses and giving rapturous applause. The band must have been enjoying it, because they respond with passionate performances, Adam Duritz in particular brings out the drama in each song sometimes letting the band fade out while he repeat a single phrase in a tender crying voice, letting the effect become hypnotic. At other times he'll launch into a thunderous versions of tunes we know, extracting pure joy from Mr Jones, and haunting menace from Ghost Train.

The blu ray of the concert boasts a beautifully crisp picture and an amazing 5.1 mix, shot in a gentle documentary style, no MTV editing here... The visual element shows what a great front man he is, always interacting with audience, moving and changing. His digressions between the songs are amusing too, he tells us how he missed out on getting the key to the city in Omaha, and how a girlfriend who lived a long drive away inspired a Counting Crows classic.

So, if you are a Counting Crows fan, don't hesitate. They seem to be one of the last few bands who aren't afraid to mess with their songs live and present something really different. Consider how many epic bands (like Muse) just devote themselves to recreating their albums in perfect detail. This is the only official Live concert and it's a available in blu ray and dvd, so what are you waiting for? Come in out of the Rain...

4.0 out of 5 stars At Last!, 6 Sept. 2011
Its hard to believe this is the first live DVD/Bluray from the Counting Crows as they are incredible live. Im pleased to say this Bluray does the band justice, The colours are warm and bright, picture is sharp and the sound is stunning. My only gripe is that its ONLY the august and everything after album and nothing from the other albums. But it is really well done and is a in depth interview as well. This is a concert that I know Ill be watching again and again.

So if your a fan of the Counting Crows and especially the album August and Everything After then this is a must buy... in Bluray if you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a perfect night!, 18 Sept. 2011
Nanni Sergio Vittorio (Milan, Italy) - See all my reviews
Counting Crows in Hi Def picture and sound delivering a heartfelt performance of their best record... what more do you want?!!! Adam and the band are on fire in NY; it's a pity they have waited so long to release it since it was recorded in 2007!

5.0 out of 5 stars superb and was unaware it was available for so, 4 Jun. 2015
superb and was unaware it was available for so long

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Jan. 2015
If you love the Crows you'll love this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Mar. 2015
Amazing concert. Love watching this :)

4.0 out of 5 stars great live band, 5 Oct. 2011
Just what I wanted, I have seen them live several times and this Blu-ray captures the way they make the songs sound alive and different but familiar and comfortable at the same time. Bliss.

2.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, 23 Mar. 2012
I bought the CD, August and Everything After back when it first came out here in the UK. I was bowled over by it. It still remains one of my favourite CDs. So, when I saw this bluray of Counting Crows performing the whole CD live, I was looking forward to watching them as well as listening to a bunch of really good songs. But Mr Duritz completely spoils it for me with his self-indulgent presentation. The rest of the group are superb and the quality of the soundtrack is exceptional. It's a great pity therefore that I shall probably never watch this again. A waste of money as far as I'm concerned, but perhaps I'm just getting old and can no longer tolerate sloppy interpretations of my favourite songs.

August And Everything After - Live From Town Hall [Blu-ray] [2011]