5.0 out of 5 stars Lang Lang - Liszt my Hero
What a wonderful pianist - this disc has everything. Astonishing virtuosity,
clarity of every note - I could listen to it repeatedly and not tire of listening.
Published on 3 Oct 2011 by J. Staveley

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor vinyl pressing...
Listening to such a great talent and exceptional performance, it's a shame that Sony didn't get the vinyl pressing right. In some places, it actually sounds like it's already worn by a bad stylus. The background noice is horrific at certain points. Such a shame for such a great album!
Published 20 months ago by Jan Johnsen

5.0 out of 5 stars Alternatingly lyrical, virtuosic, and exuberant but invariably masterly, 8 Feb 2013
Serghiou Const (Nicosia, Cyprus) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Liszt - My Piano Hero (Audio CD)
The disc was released in 2011 to celebrate the bicentenary of Liszt's birth. The thirteen track disc comes with a bonus thirteen minute DVD showing Lang Lang performing Liszt, his piano hero.

The fascination and admiration of Lang Lang for Liszt is contagious apparently elicited by the young pianist's masterly rendition of the composer's best and best known works present on the disc. Listening to the concluding piano concerto, the words 'sparkling' and 'shining' came spontaneously to mind.

A beauty of the disc is the alternation of the lyrical and the poetic with the virtuosic and the exuberant but invariably masterly in their amazing dexterity, expressive power, and mood transition.

The disc commences with Romance 'O pourqoi donc', an appropriately romantic piece; it is followed by 'La campanella' from Grandes Etudes de Paganini with all its intricacy, virtuosity, and pyrotechnics; then follows Consolation No.3, one of the most beautiful, lyrical, poetic, well known, and beloved works in the piano literature; then follows the exuberant Grand Galop chromatique; then Liebestraum no.3, another romantic and lyrical piece; then follows the tempestuous Hungarian Rhapsody, a favorite of the artist; then 'Un sospiro' again a romantic, poetic piece; followed by the 'Rakoczy March' with all its highly virtuosic setting; the disc concludes with the stunning Piano Concerto No.1.

A uniquely beautiful disc to treasure in your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lang lang, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Liszt - My Piano Hero (Audio CD)
I would recommend this CD to anyone who wants to listen to wonderful music in the car. It is so easy to listen to and plays for quite a long time so good for a bit of a journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lang Lang, 22 Feb 2014
This is the first time I have ever really listened to lang Lang. He is great. He has his own unrushed style but he still seems to play very fast.

4.0 out of 5 stars review of Liszt, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: Liszt - My Piano Hero (Audio CD)
good quality CD's and loved the extra bit of DVD, the insert was not of top quality but OK for what we needed it for

5.0 out of 5 stars Piano extravaganza, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: Liszt - My Piano Hero (Audio CD)
Was what I hoped for lots of superb piano playing at a great price. Got two amazing DVDs for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lang Lang at his best !!, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Liszt - My Piano Hero (Audio CD)
A Great CD by a superb pianist and would recommend to any lover of the piano. In my opinion it does not get any better than this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor vinyl pressing..., 21 Nov 2012
Jan Johnsen (Oslo, Oslo Norway) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding, 7 Sep 2011
This review is from: Liszt - My Piano Hero (Audio CD)
a gorgeous selection of liszt wonderfully played by lang lang..excellant..what more can i add - amazon says i must though - this comes in a cardboard cover with notes and 15min dvd - pity the regular edition wasnt for sale yet as i didnt want this..its a bit wider than a jewel case

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Liszt - My Piano Hero (Audio CD)
I am sure I would have given this product a much higher rating had I actually got the product I ordered, which was the Lang Lang special edition CD with complimentary DVD - not the standard CD I received. I was very disappointed that amazon were unable to exchange the item for the correct one even after I sent it back, but instead could only refund my purchase. I dare not try and reorder the correct product as the CDs both have the same covers and the same mistake could easily be made again.

It is doubly disappointing as this product was supposed to be my birthday present, and one I was very much looking forward to receiving. It is a shame to have to make a complaint about amazons service, which is usually excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Dec 2011
This review is from: Liszt - My Piano Hero (Audio CD)
Once I got used to his heavy handed approach, and listened to it more carefully I was able to appreciate it more fully, enjoying it immensely. I still feel he must get through quite a few pianos

Liszt - My Piano Hero
Liszt - My Piano Hero by Lang Lang (Audio CD - 2011)