4.0 out of 5 stars Had a lot of fun putting this together
My 8 year old chose this as an introduction to Airfix kits. We really enjoyed putting it together, but there were a couple of things we learnt.

1. The instructions don't make it that clear that you should paint the parts as you're assembling the model.
Published 23 months ago by Ed

1.0 out of 5 stars Turned up without a paint brush.
Just received this having ordered it yesterday.

Fast next day delivery.

The packaging on it was falling apart and one of the major parts is missing.

As someone without any history of painting or hobbies like this I rather unsurprisingly don't have a spare paintbrush making the whole thing a completely pointless purchase...
Published 9 months ago by Philipo

4.0 out of 5 stars Had a lot of fun putting this together, 2 Jan 2013
Ed (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Airfix A55100 Supermarine Spitfire MkIA 1:72 Scale Model Small Starter Set (Toy)

2. We managed to overlook the fact that there are detailed instructions on the back of the box for the painting.
3. A sharpened matchstick was very useful for applying glue to some of the finer areas.

Overall my son was delighted with it,and it was a pleasure to spend a couple of hours helping him put it together.

5.0 out of 5 stars a 10 year olds review, 12 Sep 2012
2 weeks ago i bought the spitfire with my pocket money. so far i think it was an easy to assmble kit with only 36 parts.It didnt take long to build but it takes a while to dry. the painting is easy because it includes paints and dosnt have much to paint.the decals are sort of easy to put and you only have to wait 3-4 mins to dry.afterwards i hung my spitfire on the celing above my bed! overall i think this kit is for you if have just started making them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Abeautiful little kit, 2 Sep 2013
I really love this Airfix Supermarine Spitfire. It was very easy to assemble and it came with paints and a brush which made it more exciting.

The reason why I gave this item five stars is because when it was fully assembled and painted it, and it looked so good and life-like.

I would recommend this Spitfire to anybody who loves building them and has many hours of fun. I loved building this kit and I had many hours of fun.

Thanks to the seller who sold me this kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Better of the MK1a, 21 July 2013
After a long break from Airfix kits, this is the first 1:72 aircraft I bought. I was dubious after building kits of quality such as Trumpeter and Tamiya, but seeing this on the shop shelf reduced to half price swayed me to give Airfix another go. I opened it expecting to find the same old stroy that Airfix seemed to be repeating with their 1:600 scale ships, just releasing the same standard kit with all the inherant problems they had on first issue in the '60's.

But I was wrong.

This is the new re-tooled Spitfire, and features a vastly imploved cockpit set up, instument panel, chair and internal cockpit wall details, panel lines that are indented and more up to date and comprehensive decal sheet, even the canopy has been improved to be more accurate. Sadly, the same awful paints are still being supplied with these kits, please, don not use them, go and buy the same colour number in Humbrol oils instead, the finish will be much better.

A real improvement on the original kit that I have previously reviewed, and hopefully better in fit as I have yet to build this version. A can recommend this version of the MKIa that is distinguished by this particular box art.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gift!, 2 Aug 2014
Stephen Baker - See all my reviews
I can think of anything better to give than someone's first airfix kit, or maybe an adult who wants to relive their childhood. It's a surprisingly detailed kit so beginners will have an easy time with the small number of parts but an expert can make this into a great model. To get the best out of the model you need a more variety of materials but a very good finish an be achieved with just paints included, the only fiddly part is the propellor which I managed to break but I think that's just me. A great gift for mature kids who have patience. I gave a similar kit to my 6 year old cousin and she had fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Airfix A55100 Supermarine Spitfire model small starter set, 10 Dec 2013
Ordered this for my Grandson for xmas, he is know into making model aeroplanes so I hope he gets alot of pleasure on making this.

5.0 out of 5 stars More fun than when I was young, 21 May 2013
I used to do these as a kid, and enjoyed them then - I can't find them now - which sparked a renewed interest 20 years later, confident that my abilities would have improved.
It's a lot harder than I recall, but that's not to say it actually is hard. It was simple enough to follow the instructions, and it is best to paint parts before you construct them - which can make it very time-consuming, especially as I was hoping to make my return to the modelling world a glorious example of how it should be done.
I have to say, my attempt is not a showroom example, but that is not down to the model kit.
Everything that should have been in there, was there, and there was ample glue and paint to complete the task.
I would advise (and will do next time) that you buy an undercoating spray, as the paints can go a little thin at times, and perhaps buy a very fine brush for things like the pilot and landing gear.
I will be buying another one and trying again though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good place to start, 12 Sep 2012
I bought this kit to enable me to get my 10 year old Grandson started on building model aircraft. We have not built it yet but kit appears to be upto the usual high standard provided by Airfix. Well produced and good value as paints are included. Good prompt delivery by the vendor.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 8 Jun 2014
Bought for my 7 year old son, brought back memories of me building the same kit as a lad! Brill.

5.0 out of 5 stars and found they were very easy to, 7 July 2014
i have now made five of these kits to go on my layout, and found they were very easy to make