Microsoft Touch Mouse
Price:£18.99+Free shipping

on 4 December 2011
Having struggled along with a Logitech M620 for quite a while and got increasingly annoyed with a wheel that had a mind of it's own and would scroll at the drop of a pin, I decided to try the Microsoft Touch Mouse, as it seemed to promise all the benefits of a touch pad with the advantage of being able to physically move the cursor plus a few added features "to make life simpler". But it's a real let-down.

The bad points:
1. The mouse does not feel comfortable in the hand. It feels quite small in the hand, yet too long for my fingers to reach the front. As this seems to be where it is most responsive to touch, this is a problem for me, although I do have relatively short fingers.
2. I have played around with the settings and cannot find a setting that allows me to make a movement and position the cursor where I want it first time. Accuracy is such a problem that the mouse becomes unusable for certain things. For example, finding the corner of a cell in a spreadsheet and dragging it down to copy is almost impossible at normal size. Positioning the cursor whilst writing this review has been a trial.
3. The mouse will not move smoothly across the desktop, feeling like it has been dipped in jam. I cannot use it with my mouse mat and it is only slightly better on a wooden surface.
4. Judgement of the pressure needed on the mouse to get the basic scrolling function to work properly is very difficult and varies across applications.
5. The extra touch functions are similarly difficult to master and I quite often find myself closing windows, snapping etc. by accident and at inappropriate times.
6. Useless for any sort of applications or games requiring precision.
7. The basic left and right click functions are heavy in comparison with any other mouse I have ever owned, probably because the whole mouse dips rather than just the left or right click button. Double-clicking at a consistent speed is impossible and the right-click function often does not work first time - perhaps my fingers are too short on that side of the mouse.
8. The battery life is nothing like as good as is claimed - after less than three weeks use the batteries supplied were running low.

The good points:
1. It comes with an extension cable that allows you to position the receiver on the desktop.
2. The receiver can be stored in the mouse when in transit.

I got a pretty good deal on this mouse, but wish I had never bought it. I'd give it 0 stars if I could. If I'd paid the prices I see some places asking for it I would have been really annoyed. Based on my experience it won't be long before you are being paid to buy one (the prices are already starting to come down...)

Update 25/12/2011: I have a Logitech diNovoEdge keyboard and have just discovered that the touch features of the Microsoft mouse are also added to the touchpad mouse on the keyboard - which makes it impossible to use when the mouse is turned on. Anyway, I have gone back to an old wired Logitech mouse for those things where I need precision, even though it is so old that the left-click is a bit unreliable. It's a shame that this line has been discontinued; I might have ordered a new one of these....
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 January 2013
First off I have to say I wanted to love this item. I've used a Microsoft mouse since I can remember, one my last mice I bought in 2000, was an optical intellimouse with a scroll wheel. I liked it so much I went out and bought two more; one for the office, one for home and one to carry in my laptop bag. They lasted for nearly nine years before I had to buy another which I still have and am using now.

First the good points, Its very well made. And that's all I can say positive about it.

Where do I start with the bad? First the weight, it feels three times the weight of the intellimouse with the batteries fitted. So heavy that the first couple of days of use I had aches in my forearm from lifting it off the desk. Which leads to the next issue, shape. Given the weight you need to grip it tighter than you might like to pick it up of the surface but it's hard to get a grip easily and you end up with a hand ache as well. And because of the weight it seems to scrape across the desk surface even though it has the same kind of glide pads as other mice. It's quite low profile as well so if you have large hands it gets to be a chore just to try to keep hold of the thing.

Next bad thing, that scroll surface. It's less accurate than just about anything I know. Motion is jerky, scrolling is useless if you want to be able to easily glide up and down a window and to cap it all you seem to have to scroll in the centre of the mouse or it doesn't register. And if you're used to thumb pressing the side of the mouse to navigate back or forward in the browser history the flaky sensitivity and the frankly wasteful brush gesture will annoy you when it only works 50% of the time.

Finally windows 8. Whatever functions it has on Windows 7 don't seem to make the trip across to windows 8. The snap to gestures don't work at all.

If you're looking at one of these at full price £50-£70 depending on where you might see them. Don't. If you're looking at one for around the £23 I paid, well, I still feel cheated. I've gone back to my three year old wired Intellimouse. Perfectly shaped and it actually made me smile when I plugged it back in. Microsoft can and should do better than this.

I'm going to be selling a nearly new, hi tech mouse on a website near you soon.

Service from this retailer was brilliant by the way...
on 28 January 2013
Touch gestures just never worked properly. Try and click the right mouse button and 90% of the time the left button would click instead. Absolutely useless. Plus point is that the bluetrack system worked well but you get the same results with a mouse at 75% of the cost of this mouse. Avoid at all costs.
on 16 June 2015
I bought this for the hell of it when the price dropped below £20, and I'm glad that's all I paid for it. It's not a bad mouse by any means, but it's nowhere near as slick or responsive as Apple's Magic Mouse. (On that note, it does offer basic mouse functionality, left and right click and scroll, on a Mac with Microsoft's generic mouse drivers, despite what either company would have you believe.) As many have said, you have to lift your left finger for right-click to work, and there is no middle button function, but I don't really miss it unless I'm gaming, and then I use my gaming mouse as I always did.

If you're just curious as to what this thing is like to use, I can think of worse ways to spend ~£20. If you need a new mouse for anything other than casual use, it's fine, but I'd look elsewhere unless you're dead set on having something touchy-feely.
on 7 February 2013
Terrible mouse. No right click without lifting your left finger off the mouse. No middle click (what year is this)! Terrible scrolling which is erratic and has an annoying inertia effect where the page keeps scrolling unless you put your finger back on the mouse. Sometimes scrolling fails to work at all. The thumb gestures don't work for me unless I hold the mouse in an un-natural position which doesn't work because my hand slips off the back of the mouse. Wireless connectivity range seems to be about 20 cm at most from the receiver or the cursor motion is very jerky. Most of these problems could be fixed in software but the Microsoft touch mouse software is rubbish and if it hasn't been fixed by now, it's unlikely to happen.
on 23 March 2015
Many people have mentioned that the gestures are annoying or unpredictably triggered. Everyone's usage scenario is different -- for me, so far, I've been using the mouse with my ThinkPad X200, so the little receiver is no more than about 6 inches away from the mouse. Almost ideal conditions I suppose.

I've found the gestures to be really nice and actually surprisingly useful. I tend to use the window snap function a lot -- before using this mouse (and when I'm using my regular, wired mouse) I'd just drag the window into the right or left side of the screen. Using the two finger gestures, this is reduced to an instantaneous snap.

Using three fingers gestures, I've actually discovered the 'all windows' view similar to Apple's Exposé -- it's not something I used on Windows before, as I'm more accustomed to task switching with Alt-Tab. Again -- very nice and quick to use.

I've had a few moments where the mouse cursor isn't properly responding to input and they have either sorted themselves out quickly, or I've pulled and re-plugged the USB. This kind of problem is common with most wireless input devices I've used.

The scroll is the only part which isn't really as accurate as I'd like. I'm a little bit of an obsessive scroller, in that I try to line certain things up perfectly with the top of the browser window. i.e. I'd read one paragraph, then scroll so the next is at the top. This kind of accurate scrolling is a little bit tricky with the touch scrolling, but ultimately it's almost there.

The design is really beautiful -- simple and effective. The USB receiver is elegantly hidden away in the notch on the bottom of the mouse -- it inserts in a fashion not dissimilar to how an SD card fits into a reader -- with a kind of spring loaded action. Pushing it in further disengages it, and out it pops. The hardware switch for on/off could've been handled differently, no doubt. I'd prefer it to be more smart about its power use -- I haven't actually used it that much so I can't actually say how long the batteries will last for. Might report back if I remember.
on 4 November 2014
I purchased this mouse based on a lot of five star reviews; big mistake,. Also what this touch sensitive mouse appeared to do with specific movement of the finger(s) over the mouse. If you are considering buying this, I urge you to look at the one star reviews, most seem to be very accurate.

What is nice about it:
1) The packaging is amazing, for me too much so but it made believe I was purchasing a quality, top of the range piece of hardware.
2) It feels nice in the palm of my hand and does move smoothly over the mouse mat.
3) The various scrolling options, at first seemed useful but in reality ultimately became more of a gimmick than of real use.
4) Extension lead supplied for placing receiver on the desk top.
5) Receiver can be stored in mouse when on the move.

What I don't like
1) The touch sensitive scrolling is not related accurately to the movement of one's finger. OK if you swipe your finger down the strrip, it scrolls incredibly quickly almost at an uncontrollable rate, if I need to go up or down a page that quickly, it simpler to hit the page up or down on the key board. If you try doing it slowly it is jerky and not atall consistent.
2) If you need to right click to bring up a drop down menu it has to be on the extreme front edge of the RHS. If you just right click it simply removes any highlighted items you might be wishing to cut /paste for example, with the result you have do start again. I don't have particularly long fingers, they are average but this makes for a very frustrating time wasting.
3) In some document formats (e.g. PDF documents) for some reason this mouse has never wanted to scroll with the centre scroll position, so I've had to resort to clicking on the button on the side of the document to scroll down.
4)The extra touch functions are are so sensitive that frequently, I find windows closing, snapping quite by accident making their function more of a nuisance at a benefit and just slows work down.
5) It appears to eat batteries I have already changed them twice, where as in my previous Logitech mouse they lasted for eighteen months and that with me often not switching the mouse off.
6) When working on photographs in Photoshop often without any obvious cause, the picture suddenly enlarges or reduces in size and I have to click the mouse to stop it.
7) Now after just two months the scroll functions have ceased working. This is the last straw, so I have just ordered a Logitech mouse. I will also try to return this under the warranty on the basis that it is not fit fr purpose and has stopped working properly anyway.

The only reason for changing to the Microsoft in the first place was that the scroll wheel on my old Logitech had malfunctioned after years of almost continuous daily use and in my wisdom I thought, a non-mechanical scroll would be perfect and consequently even more reliable.

In my opinion, the concept is brilliant the execution awful.
on 11 November 2012
I have small hands, smallest amongst the other chaps at work. The mouse fits my hand very well. I moves smoothly across most surfaces. In use it is like no other mouse I have ever used before. That may be the big issue for most potential users. The best way to use the extra functions is to stop holding the mouse, like a mouse. lift your hand and stroke it gently with your finger(s). The Thumb movements allow you to flip through web pages for example. One finger slid up the middle will scroll (it does not have to be the exact centre of the mouse) And 2 and 3 finger strokes do other things; very handy for windows 8. All this lifting and stroking does take some getting use to and basically retraining your hand, after years of griping tightly to your old mouse! However not only does it become easier, but it actually makes my hand ache less, it is not locked into one position all of the time, so less cramp. It took me a few days to adapt, to this rather radical change on mouse use.

It is obviously hard to make this radical adjustment for some, judging by the negative views, fair enough. But if you want to persevere, (and have windows 8 and no touch screen), then try it out. I really like this mouse

Edit: actually I no longer like this mouse, I've taken 2 stars off the original review. The main problem is that it dose not work with games. It was playing Dishonored that it's faults became apparent. Really hard trying to right click, no center wheel button, and a scroll that does its own thing; scrolls at random. So it's back to my logitech.
on 13 March 2015
I've had this mouse for a day and have found it instantly easy to use. I have no idea what those saying they can't scroll properly are doing because as far as normal mouse functions go it's very easy for forget you're not using a basic mouse. When you first plug the mouse in you are taken through opportunities to practice the different gestures which is really helpful but I haven't had much opportunity to use them yet except zoom in/out which is easy.

Even without any cool functions this is a good mouse for a good price.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I really like this mouse, I've been using it for nearly a month now.
battery power seems good haven't had to change them yet and there have been a few times I've left it switched on all night.

I use the flicks all the time for moving around windows and flicking through photos,
I love that you can use any part of the mouse to scroll through pages, though it is really quite sensitive, it takes a bit of time to get used to,
once or twice it has thought i'm scrolling when i'm putting my hand on the mouse.
I've also had a few problems with the scrolling as a zoom function in some of the software i use, though tweaking the program's settings seems to have sorted that problem.

It looks really slick and stylish, really professional.
It has a good shape, fits my hand without being too bulky, the matt texture is lovely too.
My tiny hands found it a bit strange to use at first but now its really comfortable.

I don't think this would be considered a portable mouse, it would be a little too big to fit into a cramped laptop case.
but it is perfect for a desktop setup.

All in all i think its a really lovely looking mouse that does its job well,
It has a good quality feel, it had been designed well and made well.
I was a little unsure about buying it because of the price, but it is worth every penny.