Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£11.99

on 9 January 2005
I am 16 years of age an along with all my friends a massive Queen fan. I got this as a gift for Christmas and have already just about played it to dust. It is an incredible album that captures everything unique and brilliant about Queen. The showmanship, the great songs, the eccentricity, the brilliant musicianship, it's all here. Queen were just perfect, with Freddie leading the band with so much flamboyance, personality and charisma, Brian's classic guitar riffs and solos, John Deacon's perfect basslines that laid the foundations for Queen's distinctive sound and last but not least Roger Taylor's drumming, holding the songs together with great rock 'n' roll drum beats yet not overshadowing the rest of the band like some other rock drummers.
Greatest Hits 1 mainly focuses on Queen from the beginning until the early 80s, and contains the legendary Bohemian Rhapsody, the classic single from the Jazz album, Don't Stop Me Now, the barmy Bicycle Race, the equally mental Freddie-penned number Seven Seas of Rhye from Queen II, the unmitigated grandiosity of Somebody to Love, Brian May's timeless anthem We Will Rock You, which is still the archetypal rock anthem. Also featured is Queen's biggest North American hit Another One Bites the Dust, written by John Deacon and featuring a brilliant bassline as well. There is also Freddie's superb rockabilly effort Crazy Little Thing Called Love, which Elvis would be proud of. Not to mention the band's breakthrough hit Killer Queen from Sheer Heart Attack, which launched them on a national level, reaching number 2 in the charts. We Are the Champions rounds off an excellent CD, worthy of the band's brilliance, another anthem still being played the world over to this day.
Volume 2 focuses on 80s Queen through to their brilliant swansong Innuendo. This is my favourite of the 3 albums and has many of Queen's best songs. It includes Roger's two pop gems A Kind of Magic and Radio Ga-Ga, huge hits all over the world and both brilliant songs. Under Pressure is Queen's collaboration with Bowie, with his voice lending gravitas to Freddie's soaring vocals. It also features arguably the finest bassline ever from John. Innuendo is a soaring masterpiece worthy of comparison to Bohemian Rhapsody, encompassing many different varieties of music with great yearning vocals from the inimitable Freddie. I'm Going Slightly Mad is fittingly weird and wonderful, and shows that Freddie never lost his sense of humour right through to the end. The Show Must Go On is a soaring anthem, with Freddie showing admirable strength and defiance even though he knew the end was near. All in all simply incredible.
GH3 is mainly collaborations and solo work from Brian and Freddie, although it does include the beautiful and poignant ballads No-One But You, the Brian May-penned tribute to Rock's greatest showman and These Are the Days of Our Lives, Freddie's haunting and poignant goodbye to his fans, in which he also thanks them for their great support through his tough ordeal.

So go out and buy this and rejoice in the brilliance of the one and only Queen!!! Rock On!!!!!
22 comments|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2006
I got this album for christmas a couple of years ago from my dad who couldn't believe I had reached the tender age of 15 and not heard Bohemian Rhapsody. I had heard it actually but just didn't know what it was. In a desperate attempt to educate me in the ways of classic rock music he invested in this for me and I am pleased to say that it paid off and I am now a Huge Queen fan! We have both enjoyed the album; him because it has all the old favourites, it's not filled with bsides and unheard material, it is the real Queen deal, and me because it was a great introduction to an absolutely fantastic band. The booklet supplied is a great guide to the history of the band and cd 3 has some interesting versions of old queen classics. All in all,I'd say a very good buy for everyone of any age!
on 28 February 2005
Okay I bought this album for my mum this Christmas knowing that she used to love them and I knew just two tracks which were Another one Bites The Dust and Bicycle Race and thought I'll listen to it if it's on.
Two months on I listen to at least one of the discs every day, generally disc 1. I am know realising why Queen are one of the greatest bands to grace our planet bar the Beatles. Discs 1 and 2 both get 5 stars from me but the reason I have given it 4 stars is that Disc 3 is good but not brilliant. The reason for this is that most of it is solo work or involves other collaborators.
Stand outs:
Disc 1-Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites The Dust, Killer Queen, Don't Stop Me Now, Save Me, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Flash, We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions
Disc 2-A Kind Of Magic, Under Pressure, Radio Ga Ga, I Want To Break Free, The Miracle, I'm Going Slightly Mad, The Invisible Man, The Show Must Go On
Disc 3-Barcelona, You Don't Fool Me, Let Me Live, These Are The Days Of Our Lives
CDs 1 & 2 are perfect. Just some of the best music every writen and recorded. CD3 is a bit of a mish-mash, with the word 'Queen' only being loosely attached to the performers. till it is good to hear George Michael's best performance doing 'Someone To Love' among others.
Of the rest, well . . . they only put the Freddie & Brian solo stuff on as there wasn't enough Queen material to fill it up.
Not that it's not good, just it doesn't really belong on a Queen compilation. So, play the first to CDs (GH 1 & 2) from start to finish and programme in your favourites from the third one.
44 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 November 2000
Forget the so called "fans" who cry "greed!" They seem to forget that "Hits" albums are NOT for die hard fans but for people who just want the well known songs or as an introduction to a "newbie", hey, stuff like this DOES bring in new fans. I should know, "Classic Queen" in the U.S made ME a fan!Anyway, NO CD collection is complete without this masterpiece set of "The Platinum Collection". EVERY hits Queen has had from 1974-1999 is included here. Some "fans" complain about certain songs (like "Keep Yourself Alive") not being included but fail to realize that they WERE NOT HITS!The brilliant opera meets heavy metal "Bohemian Rhapsody", the down and dirty funk of "Another One Bites the Dust", the campy "Killer Queen" to the all out rocker "Hammer To Fall" are now joined by their later hits like "Heaven For Everyone".This set is a one stop goldmine of a few hours of pure musical genius. It's the perfect starter kit for anyone who wants to get to know Queen's musical legacy.The packaging is a beautiful silver slipcase with detailed liner notes AND each CD is a stunning picture disc!You would be a fool NOT to buy this, I promise you'll LOVE it!
on 15 September 2011
I have listened to my Dad's copy of the 2000 CD release of the Platinum Collection and enjoyed the music thoroughly. So with the coming of this 2011 remastered version, I wanted to get my own copy.

I wasn't sure whether the remastered version would be a drastic change from the 2000 CD release as it sounded fairly good already, but after 1 or 2 plays I could tell that it was a great professional job and the stereo mix has been altered and improved greatly. Really worth getting, I especially liked the new mixes of Bohemian Rhapsody, Flash and A Kind of Magic.
on 13 August 2005
This is one of the great collections of all time, I think everyone should own this CD set. I'm a fan of all sorts of music from pop, dance and soul, and certainly wouldn't say I'm a big rock fan, but this is still up there with the best album I own.
It's quite breathtaking the depth of the band's repertoire from the real rocky tracks to the incredible ballads featuring Freddie's unmistakable voice. It's a tragedy that he isn't still alive today. You tend to forget just how good they were, then you play this album, and you don't need to say anything more.
If you don't like at least 10 tracks on this album you don't have a soul. Buy it!
on 25 July 2002
This best of is outstanding!!! How many bands have enough world class material to have THREE greatest hits albums, and how many of them would sell all 3 for £15?
I have owned GH1 since I was 7 (I am now 16) and I picked up GH2 soon after. Any Queen newbie will be stunned by the sheer variety of tracks on offer here: from the song of the millenium, the operatic Bohemian Rhapsody, anthems such as We Will Rock You to touching songs such as These Are The Days Of Our Lives, Queen cover the whole rock spectrum.
As a nit-picking diehard fan though, I must say that my only complaint is at GH3 - some of the tracks are lacklustre, such as Elton John's The Show Must Go On, which I think is a very poor cover, and also some earlier tracks (primarily Spread Your Wings) could have been added, as they were excluded from the 2 earlier GH albums, but that said, 48ish stunning and timeless tracks out of 51 isn't too bad, and for the asking price, it's an irresistable offer which you can't refuse!
What more could anyone want, 3 CD's with all of Queens greatest work. 51 songs and hardly any poor ones, and many many classics. No doubt many Queen fans will say that it is a cash in just for Christmas, and maybe it is. But the collection is not for dedicated fans, as they will already own most of the songs, the collection is for people new to the sound of Queen and this is the best start you can get. So overall 5 stars.
on 25 June 2002
Ask any person, whether a Queen fan or not, what their favourite Queen song is and 'Bohemian Rhapsody' is bound to be their automatic answer. It's therefore amazingly appropriate that this piece of genius is the song which begins this marathon of Queen hit after Queen hit. For those people who only think of Queen as having written 'Bohemian Rhapsody' this is their chance to experience something out of this world. From the original 'Inisible Man' to the truly heart-wrenching 'Days of our lives' any Queen virgin would receive an awakening from this box set and any die hard fans would be simply proud of what Queen have achieved. Forget the cynics who thing 'The Platinum Collection' is only a gimmick to rake in the cash, this is simply the best cd you'll hear EVER... and as a 17 year old, it makes me proud that we get the chance now to hear music which has defined a generation. Enjoy!