5.0 out of 5 stars A great item for the price - but not for the thick wrists
Published on 19 May 2012 by Kev The Ace

2.0 out of 5 stars false economy
Published on 21 Nov. 2012 by reddevilKaren

5.0 out of 5 stars A great item for the price - but not for the thick wrists, 19 May 2012
Kev The Ace (Wales, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pulse Sonic K920D Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Misc.)
I was a little hesitant about buying this having read some of the reviews. But I need not have worried. It's a great item. I've been using it for a month using it for running about 2 or 3 times a week, about 6 miles a time, in all weather. Also cycling once a week about 12 miles. For the first week I had some difficulty getting the strap positioned correctly on my chest so that it would consistently pick up my heart beat. I got rather frustrated and did wonder whether there was a fault. But after a week I found the "magic" spot and have no problems since. One reviewer criticised the lack of a light - but there is one. The light illuminates only briefly - but that is necessary to save battery. And you only need it on briefly anyway. Another reviewer complained it was not water proof so misted up. I've used it in the rain and so far no problems - but I have only been using it for a month. How accurate is it? Once I found the "magic" spot for the sensor strap the heartbeat monitor has proved accurate. I was a little dubious about the calorie burn until I found my smartphone could also measure calorie burn - but based on GPS, weight, age etc and not actual heart beat. I was pleasantly surprised that the smartphone and the watch agreed to within about 5% of each other. So I guess this must indicate it's reasonably accurate.

My only criticism is the wrist strap is rather short. I have narrow wrists but even I have to use the larger setting. I recon the larges wrist circumference would be 22 cm max.

5.0 out of 5 stars cheap and does the job, 1 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Pulse Sonic K920D Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Misc.)
bit complicated display and does too many jobs... Having said that once you know where to look for your heart rate its easy as pie.. Works everytime, I was very surprised how good it was. Had a similar product for some time which cost £70 and was just the same. I changed products because changing batteries in my expensive monitor required sending to the maker at high cost. It was cheaper to buy this model than new batteries... oh and you can change the batteries on this one easy as well... so overall this is an excellent product!

4.0 out of 5 stars For the price it is worth it, 2 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Pulse Sonic K920D Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Misc.)
I use amazon reviews as a source for practically everything i buy, therefore if you are like me and chose this route you have probably been led to this product.
This is an accurate monitor, i have compared vs other products of far greater value and they read the same thing.
It is a little over the top with the amount of displays it gives you, if you are monitoring your heart rate then i am sure you dont need 90% of the additional functions, however the timing function comes in handy for HIIT training etc.
The chest strap is actually of descent construction and the battery is very easy to remove/replace therefore you do not drain it rapidly and the fastening points are solid, yet comfortable with no sharp or uncomfortable edges.
Downsides are, it is very cheap looking, especially the strap and clasp pin, very rigid and a moderate degree of difficulty is had in mastering the art of putting on. With wet hands taking it off can be even more of a challenge. However it is also very comfortable and light, which i think is the main point about this item.
If it breaks, gets lost or dies then you will not be much out of pocket, which is a benefit with any piece of sports kit. I have happily used mine 2-3 times a week for the last 3 months and can honestly say i have not regretted buying it and unlike some of my other more expensive sports equipment. It does the job and you do not feel it, which for cardio is exactly what i want.
I would have given it 5 stars if not for the cheap construction but if it was cost vs quality survey it would be 5.
Hope this helps

5.0 out of 5 stars Works really well, 27 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Pulse Sonic K920D Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Misc.)
I almost didn't buy this heart rate monitor because it is so cheap, but it works perfectly. I've added my upper and lower training zones to the watch and it beaps when I'm outside that range, which is exactly what I wanted it for. It's light and comfortable too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gadget for my Insanity workout, 31 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Pulse Sonic K920D Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Misc.)
Provides all the information you need while working out. It's been quite useful during my insanity sessions. I combine it with the myfitnesspal iPhone app to count the calories I burn and consume.

2.0 out of 5 stars false economy, 21 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Pulse Sonic K920D Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Misc.)
I decided to try this after losing my polar transmitter strap as it's much cheaper than a replacement. unfortunately the readings appear to be inaccurate and jump around considerably for several minutes, eventually it does seem to settle down but sometimes takes over ten minutes to do so, maximizing it useless for intervals and shorter sessions. The readings on the watch are too small, plus it stores your maximum ever heart rate rather than per session, and this was already 228 before i'd used it. shall be replacing my polar strap, more expensive, but as they say, you get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item + Cheaper on ebay, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Pulse Sonic K920D Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Misc.)
I first came across this watch at Amazon, but found it for cheaper on ebay. It costs the same £13 as on amazon but does not charge a postage fee. The delivery was amazing as I got it the next working day and saved the £3 postal charge from Amazon. The seller I bought from is dolphin1856. Hopefully, penny-pinchers like me might find this helpful.

The product is very cheap looking with the gaudy orange buttons and the white ring around the display. So, cosmetically you get what you pay for.

Having said that, I didn't buy this watch for its looks. As a complete beginner runner, I wanted a watch that gives out basic stats accurately for my runs, and I am happy to say that this watch performed admirably in the week or so I've had it. Most of the settings were intuitive in contrast to what some other reviewers have said. And advanced settings can easily be accessed with help from the very minimal user guide.

The chest strap is a bit uncomfortable to wear but I got accustomed to it by now. I imagine it's no larger than the other chest straps out there, but this being my first HRM, I had to point this out. One issue I've had is that the calories burned output is around a third less than what all the online calculators are showing. (However, this may be due to a vague estimate of my vo2 max in the watch).

This watch meets my needs and represents great value for money. I can't imagine how a £40-50 watch with the same features could perform much better than this, at least when it comes to functionality and so I give it all five stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Pulse Sonic K920D Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Misc.)
I wanted a cheap HRM that showed not only heart rate but calories burned. It also has a stop watch which is helpful. Easy to use and cheap! Recommend for anyone who doesn't want to spend a fortune.

1.0 out of 5 stars Started well, trailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better!, 22 Jun. 2014
Alan Evans "Big Al" (Horley, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pulse Sonic K920D Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Misc.)
Used the first time and thought "ok feels cheap and plastic as expected, but it works" and i was pleased. was fine. On second use the buttons were not working properly which was irritating but managed to complete a session. I was never able to use the item again after that as it was completely knackered.

3.0 out of 5 stars great for gym work, 16 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Pulse Sonic K920D Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Misc.)
The chest strap on the heart rate monitor is excellent if you are using it at the gym and the exercise machine picks up your heat rate. It works great for that and you can keep an eye on your heart rate on the machine. The watch part however is a little bit more complicated. The stop watch only goes for 30 minutes then reverts back to Zero again, so unless you are doing short runs, it is not very good. The date/ time part is very tiny and year first then month then day. The parts of the programs that you want to use the most are the smallest on the watch dial and are difficult to see, especially if you are running, its a struggle to see. I would say for the money it is a good first heat rate strap, but if you need to use the watch side a lot then I would go for something a little more expensive and larger numbers.

Pulse Sonic K920D Heart Rate Monitor Watch