5.0 out of 5 stars Greek delight
Why is a young woman lying dead at the bottom of a moutainside, and why have the local police declined to investigate? And how is the mystery linked to the local way of life?

Published on 12 Aug 2008 by Phil

3.0 out of 5 stars pleasant holiday reading
I really quite enjoyed this for a one time only read - if it was a paperback it would be on it's way to the charity shop now! Nice description of the Greek Islands and the people and a rather harmless storyline.
Published 10 months ago by gozo girl

5.0 out of 5 stars Greek delight, 12 Aug 2008
Phil (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews

This isn't a typical crime novel: it's as much an examination of the social and cultural factors influencing the crime as a whodunit, and the pace is quite leisurely (although it never drags its feet). It's set on a small Greek island, in winter, when everyone is struggling to make ends meet, and I can vouch for its authenticity, from my acquaintance with the remote Greek community where I read this. (Wish I was still there.) It's unusually well-written, rich with description, and full of excellent characters and dialogue. The resolution satisfies, and the enigma of the in-coming investigator's origins is quite intriguing! Anne Zouroudi is a talented writer, and her book deserves to do an awful lot better than I suspect it will (not helped by the fact that her surname begins with a Z; have a look, next time you're in a bookshop, and watch where people tend to peruse the shelves). Thoroughly recommended, but maybe not for those who like their crime lightning-paced and full of action.

5.0 out of 5 stars So you want to stay here forever?, 22 Aug 2008
Angus Stockwell (Northumberland UK) - See all my reviews
What a fabulous read! Having spent many lazy holidays on remote Greek Islands in the height of summer, wishing I never had to leave, the thought of a story set on one in the winter time snagged my interest. Pleased it did as you can really feel the damp around your neck as the leaves blow around the empty tavernas & the story unfolds.
Great story, an interesting lead character not at all like most detectives you might come across & brilliantly atmosphearic. Makes you want to put a blanket accross the doorway & break out the retsina.
I've already ordered the next one & I hope there will be more after that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Page turner, 10 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Messenger of Athens (Mysteries of/Greek Detective 1) (Kindle Edition)
I decided to buy this book (the first in a series) after attending a talk given by its author, who spoke very candidly about how she came to create the series. That she once lived in Greece shows in her evocative description of the country and its people. A page turning plot which kept me to its end - an end I certainly didn't see coming. For me, a series to follow.

The Night of Harrison Monk's Death: 1 (Jane Hetherington's Adventures in Detection)Pandora's Box: Jane Hetherington's Adventures in Detection: 2A Game of Cat and Mouse: Jane Hetherington's Adventures in Detection: 3April: Jane Hetherington's Adventures in Detection: 4

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern Poirot with a hard edge, 20 Aug 2007
Dr. W. H. Konarzewski "Dr W. H. Konarzewski" (Colchester, England) - See all my reviews
I read this on holiday in 5 hours and found it "unputdownable" if I may be excused the clichee. Not a dull word. Not a wasted word. Lots of atmosphere and a fast paced plot. Zouroudi writes beautifully and develops her own flavour of the Greek islands (the book compares favourably with Captain Corelli's Mandolin and The Island (by Victoria Hislop). The story moves remorselessly to an unpredictable but very satisfying and poetic ending. I look forward eagerly to her next book. Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable read., 26 May 2009
It's not the usual sort of crime novel with its highly unusual detective with very mysterious methods of detection and an odd sense of justice. If you like a run of the police proceedural or a pacy novel then this books not for you.
What I most enjoyed about the book was that it gave such an honest insight into what it's really like to live on a seemingly idyllic greek island, all the keeping up appearances, doing your duty, attending church wether you want to or not and all the gossip and back biting. It maked me question wether I'd be happier living in a big, ugly city where no one including your neighbour knows your name and doesn't care to find out either.
I loved the book and will be buying the sequel as it was such a refreshing change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, 13 May 2013
Really enjoyed this book - a bit different to your usual detective mysteries as the main character is not a detective! We discover this a bit later on in the book - however - who he is exactly is not made clear but is hinted at. The author really describes Greece well especially life on the small islands where the community is small and everyone knows everyone else's business. I won't spoil the story here but it is well told and you really get involved with the characters. I am now on my 3rd in the series - the 2nd was as good as the 1st. Recommend highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're going to Greece this summer, take this...., 5 July 2009
Astolat (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
A wonderfully atmospheric mystery set on a Greek island, with a really original central character. It's a while since I visited Greece, but Anne Zouroudi's writing made me feel as if I had just set foot there again. If you like your mystery novels intriguing and entwining, rather than a violent blood-fest, you should try this. I shall be reading her second book, and I see there is a third about to be published, all featuring the insightful and endearing Fat Man. Thoroughly enjoyable, Ms Zouroudi has a new fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars So authentic, you can taste the olives...., 15 Sep 2008
M. Chrysanthou (England) - See all my reviews
I expected a 'standard' thriller - albeit one with an atmospheric setting - for a holiday read, but instead my expectations were far surpassed - the book is very well-written, full of deep dark bitterly humorous insights into the human condition as shaped and twisted by the rocky bleak sun-stained landscape of the Greek islands. Can't wait for The Taint of Midas. Hope the BBC will consider making a tv series out of what seems destined to be a classic series!

2.0 out of 5 stars The Messenger of Athens, 30 Oct 2013
I find this book laborious and dull, with over developed characters. It's probably okay for some - I am half way through and I do try to stay with it - but I'm struggling. Again, no need to describe sex scenes, however unsatisfactory.

3.0 out of 5 stars pleasant holiday reading, 10 Sep 2013