4.0 out of 5 stars A nice end
For a book that starts off fast paced and really draws you in, this seemed to lack a little depth in the middle and towards the end. Still an excellent way to end a brilliant trilogy!
Published 18 months ago by MR J S WIGGS

3.0 out of 5 stars The worst of the series to date
Published on 11 July 2012 by Adam Stokes

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice end, 21 Jan 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful read, 5 July 2011
Shazjera (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Agent 6 (Hardcover)
I don't get to read this genre very often as it is not one I would usually buy for myself so when a proof copy arrived in the post from Simon & Schuster (via BookDagger) to review I started reading with a mixture of trepidation and excitement. Trepidation because I am not a political person at all and wondered if this would affect my perception of the story and excitement at reading a different genre.

Although this is the third book involving agent Leo Demidov it was very obvious from the beginning that I didn't have to have any previous knowledge. Leo's character is very understandable from his actions - but there is also an inference that although he is following Communist doctrine, there are underlying doubts.

At the beginning of the story the foundations are laid for how life is in the Soviet Union. We meet American singer Jesse Austin who is a Communist and is a key figure to the plot.

Fifteen years later we join Leo, his wife Raisa and their two adopted daughters on the eve before Raisa and their two daughters are leaving for America. Raisa is leading a diplomatic mission using singing as a bridge between the two countries.

On American soil we are introduced to FBI agent Jim Yates who is another central figure to the plot.

The change of events is sudden and dramatic and what follows is Leo's journey to reach America to avenge the tragedy. Along the way we spend time in Afghanistan until events conspire to get him back on track.

There are politics in the story but for me they were far outweighed by the psychological profiles of the characters we meet and the change in them as they examine their beliefs and become more humane. One of the major shocks for me was the power of the media - I'm not nave and do know how it works - but this story brings it home how powerless people can become because they have enemies who are people in high-powered positions. I was also made to think about how a symbol in one country can mean something totally different in another and the strong emotions attached to that. Emotionally, family betrayals affected me quite powerfully.

The one thing I really want to happen in a story is that everything ties-up to a satisfactory conclusion (not necessarily a happy ending!). I loved it that a character central to the plot during the diplomatic mission appears later on - not just that the character makes an appearance! but does something that effects Leo's emotions. Also, Leo's actions on American soil left me feeling very satisfied. I loved it that an inconsequential personal possession in Russia became key to finding Agent 6 in America.

This is a story of political intrigue focussing on humanity and emotions. The main theme running through the story is Leo's over-riding and unconditional love for Raisa and his daughters. We finish on a cliff-hanger. I've been thinking there is only one possible conclusion ............... but then again, does an event send ripples that change things ............................

3.0 out of 5 stars The worst of the series to date, 11 July 2012
Having read and enjoyed 'Child 44' immensely, I have purchased both of Tom Rob Smith's follow-ups. 'The Secret Speech' is good in itself but felt a little too desperate to come across as an 'epic' and get itself adapted into a Hollywood movie. 'Agent 6' - despite an excellent premise - feels like a TV mini-series that runs out of budget half way through. I was intrigued by the opening chapters which genuinely reel you in, but once the tragic central incident has unfolded, the brakes suddenly slam on and the book wonders around in circles for ages - particularly the scenes set in Afghanistan. It's a brave move by Smith to jump so far ahead in time, only a third of the way in but it's not altogether successful (I was reminded of a similar, equally-jarring period shift in Philip Kerr's 'The Dead Rise Not'). And most frustrating of all, the eponymous Agent 6 (around whom the book's mystery revolves) is neither mentioned nor seen until the final quarter of the book. A missed opportunity.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has Tom Rob Smith outsourced the writing?, 12 April 2012
P. J. Sharp "Hill Top Man" (Marlow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Agent 6 (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed the first 2 books. I enjoyed child 44's comedy scooby doo style reveal at the end, and also the Russian setting. Book 2 seemed to be more realistic, but equally exciting and again described the Russian winters and locations very well. The Call of Duty style excursion to Hungary was a bit distracting, but overall good. In both books the hero - Leo was a very likeable character, a Russian Rebus....

Book 3 seems to have been written by a different author, and the link to books one and two are very very slight. I think either Smith got his older, more technically gifted brother to write this, or he decided he wanted to bang home a completely different storyline. Leo only makes very brief appearances until 52% of the book is over. I would guess 2% is set in Russia. That is all fine, and actually the book is pretty good. The first half and the second are completely different again, almost two separate books really. But over all it works well, and I enjoyed it.

The three stars? - well to be honest nobody would be bothered to read this book, if the publishers didn't pretend it was the third in a trilogy. I wonder if Smith wrote most of this before the other two? Either way, a bit of a con.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Aug 2011
This review is from: Agent 6 (Hardcover)
'Child 44' was good and 'The Secret Speech' quite good. This, however, has the feel of an idea that has run out of steam with constant repetition of our hero's strengths and weaknesses and the failures in his relationships both past and present. It is neither exciting or intriguing and is overlong by about 200 pages. Time for Tom Rob Smith to say goodbye to Leo and find a new character to write about.

5.0 out of 5 stars The series needed an end and we got one., 10 May 2014
I read Child 44 after some persuasion. I became totally engrossed, not only on the character but his mind set and the history of Russia.
I am hoping Tom Rob Smith will continue to write more about Russia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Un-putting-down-able, 26 April 2014
I couldn't put down Child 44. Agent 6 is no different. Like printed opium, this book is ridiculously addictive. Order carefully and put a week aside before you start. An awesome read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Agent 6, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Agent 6 (Kindle Edition)
Really like this author and find it hard to put down book in case I miss something, full of thrills..

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant, gripping thriller., 10 Mar 2014
TRS does it again.

Child 44 was excellent (but then there are so many serial-killer stories), and The Secret Speech was non-stop action (but could all this really happen to one man/family?).

I think I enjoyed Agent 6 the most. When turning the pages, I often had to use all my willpower NOT to read the bottom of the right hand pages first because I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. I resisted though, and it was worth it.

A perfect conclusion to the trilogy.

Buy it.

(Possible spoiler ahead warning!)

Nothing to do with the book itself, but I'm not sure why it's called Agent 6. I'd lay a small wager that this book had a different title until the publishers got hold of it. Simon & Schuster should certainly be ashamed of their misleading back-cover blurb, which climaxes with: "Leo will stop at nothing as he hunts down the one person who knows the truth: Agent 6. WHO IS AGENT 6?" Did whoever wrote this actually read the book? The book is 543 pages long. The first Leo even learns of the existence of Agent 6 is on Page 483! 12 pages later he knows Agent 6's real name, and 9 pages after that he confronts the man in his house. Not exactly what I'd call a hunt.

This book deserves a better marketing department than that.

Ignore the blurb, and buy it anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Agent 6, 3 Mar 2014
thoroughly enjoyable and enlightening. I had never heard of Tom Rob smith until I read "Child 44" which I picked up from a second-hand market bookstall, but now I am completely hooked and awaiting the launch of his latest novel "The Farm".

Agent 6