4.0 out of 5 stars Good, very small, food slides, works well with alu' foil.
Published 2 months ago by Mr. T. F. Slee

3.0 out of 5 stars Sure, it works but...
It's so small! In the pictures it looks like you can fit a boatload of food on there but in actual fact you'll probably only be grilling one or two things at a time. Only one toastie, for sure. It cooks just fine though, but if you want a decently sized one keep looking.
Published on 29 Oct 2012 by Ph4m

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, very small, food slides, works well with alu' foil., 22 Sep 2014
Mr. T. F. Slee (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: George Foreman 18471 Four Portion Family Grill - Black (Kitchen & Home)
Good for it price although be warned it is very small. The picture of it with food on it not realistic. If you have had old el paso wraps, the small ones, that fits on if you put it diagonally (if it's rolled up). Definitely wouldn't fit a lunch-for-one on it all in one go. Works well with tin foil to save you having to clean it - would still advise you use oil or butter as instructed in the manual. It tells you not to use foils or cling film, I don't know why, people on youtube do it, and it saves you buying those disposable bags that a lot of people combo with this grill. Made a number of really nice cheese toasties on it (added extra minutes because of the foil, 4 min total), cooked a chicken breast on it - tasted nice. Another problem though is it is at quite a slant and the grip of the grill surface is not great so things do slide down. My tin-foil cheese toasties slide so I have to hold it and close the lid on it (being very careful of my hands in the process). The sliced apple recipe they suggest also slides down, and so do red pepper slices. Heats up fairly fast, at least 2 minutes.

Build quality - when I first opened the lid I was like, ew horrible build quality because the lid was all jiggly, but upon further reading of the manual it states that the lid had an articulated hinge to fit big items in. With this knowledge in mind it is really good build quality. Can be a little tricky to open up with oven gloves (as instructed) and this may 'catch' a few. I haven't had a problem yet but my brother accidentally dropped the lid as he was opening it and it slammed (no food in it).

Before buy, try and find a user-uploaded photo of the grill, preferably with something on/next to it to compare size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 29 Aug 2012
Love this George so much that as they wear out I just buy a new one. By wear out I mean that after a lot of use say a year and a half of 2 to 3 times a week use they lose some of the non stick and become harder to clean. Hence I always buy a cheaper model and just replace it or pass it on to my son who cant afford his own! Always clean when hot as comes off so easy with damp kitchen roll - no scraping required. Only use it for high fat items as things like chicken breasts and lean steak tend to steam and get tough. Bacon, burgers and sausages are perfect in a George and healthier minus some of the fat. Good for price and design and a perfect size to leave out rather than pack away and not bother to use. Just sits by the microwave ready for quick and easy use. Will keep buying - Amazon a good price and free postage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly pleased, 28 Aug 2014
As someone who really enjoys grilled or barbecued food I decided to buy one of these.

They certainly may not be a 4 portion family grill, I would say for 2 if you are cooking meat, perhaps it would be 4 portion for vegetables and other food.

- Very easy to clean, perfectly non stick. I only wipe it with a wet clean sponge after it cools down to touch
- Quick to cook (chicken breasts takes about 5 minutes each)
- Gives food a nice sear (no burns at all)
- Reduces the fat but not the juiciness
- Heats up quickly in about 2 minutes

This grill is perfect for my needs, I enjoy making paninis and other grill foods on it.

I grew to prefer this grill over my oven since it is so much more quick to heat up and amazingly faster to cook meats and other grillable foods.

Recommended to everyone who wants nicely grilled food with less fat but with all the juiciness!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for summer as well as winter, 16 Jun 2012
Mrs. Carol Anderson (Englnd) - See all my reviews
My husband loves meat cooked on this little grill and as it's easy to clean and makes sure his intake of fat is lower I'm happy too. Would recommend anyone try this

3.0 out of 5 stars Sure, it works but..., 29 Oct 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% happy, 14 Nov 2011
Would recommend to anyone, great thing to grill any kind of food on it:). Easy and quick way to make your daily meals

1.0 out of 5 stars COATING PEELING AWAY AFTER JUST 6 MONTHS - REFUND/REPLACEMENT REFUSED!, 15 Aug 2013
Though I loved using this grill (it was my preferred method of cooking chicken), the coating has started bubbling and peeling away after just 6 months. You can see the cold hard truth from the uploaded customer images on the product page.

I thought something was a bit funny because my digestion had been a bit dicey over the preceding week. In addition, I noticed I was emitting a metallic kind of burnt plastic smell, not previously encountered. It may be a coincidence, but since not using the grill and keeping everything else the same, I've felt much better after a week - digestion was better after a few days and the smell had gone after a week. It is difficult to tell whether or not I was ingesting the non-stick coating.

I bought it on 3rd feb 2013 from amazon.co.uk. Since it is outside of Amazon's refund time frame, my only recourse was to contact the owners of the George Foreman Brand service department (Spectrum Brands), outlining most of what I mention here. It comes with a 2 year guarantee after all. The first message I sent was through their website, then the next day I found their email, so I sent a fuller message with the pictures I've shared with you.

I mentioned that I always coated the grill with a little oil before cooking. I always cooked only plain chicken. I always cleaned with a damp paper towel using only water after every cooking session. All fully within guidelines.

I also mentioned that I'd bought two of their 10032 grills (with the bun warmer) in the past and the coating didn't last long on those either - though I did not complain to them at the time.

I got a reply a few days later, which in summary and by implication REFUSED to offer me a refund or replacement: they explained that it was "GENERAL WEAR AND TEAR"! Thanks. I won't be buying anything else from George Foreman or any brand that Spectrum Brands owns (which are many well known brands) if this is the level of service I can expect when products don't live up to reasonable expectations.

************

Since writing this review and still incensed by the manufacturer's response, I contacted Amazon.co.uk to see if there is anything they could do on my behalf. Rohit from customer service took my live chat enquiry. Within minutes of reading the review, they cheerfully offered to replace the grill for me at no cost. Also they emailed a postage paid label for the return of the defective grill. The grill was dispatched the very next day and arrived the following day! I nearly fell of my chair. This is such an incredible gesture of goodwill on their part and an unbelievable quality of service. It puts the manufacturer to shame. Whilst my views of the manufacturer and the product haven't changed, my admiration and respect of Amazon.co.uk has found new heights. 5 stars to Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Used all the time in my kitchen, 1 Oct 2014
Does what it says on the tin. Bought to replace my old Foreman and its fine. The only thing I'd say is I wouldn't cook for four on it, I use it for two.

It also says not to use foil on it but I always do, a layer underneath food and one on top and it stops it getting greasy although sometimes you have to use a bit of oil on the foil to stop the food sticking to it. Better than cleaning the Foreman though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing ever, 11 Jan 2014
Key points are quick, easy to clean, healthy, no fat spitting over the cooker, uses minimal electricity. Overall fantastic product for £20!

5.0 out of 5 stars So cheap, you might aswell buy one., 26 Sep 2014
Paul G "Paul" (Liverpool, England.) - See all my reviews
£19! I never realized these things got so cheap in recent years, what a bargain.

Makes lovely toasted sandwhich and is easy to clean.

A healthier and safer way to cook a burger, and prevents your house from burning down as a burger somehow turns explosive when grilled the old fashioned way.

The drip tray catches everything and is easy to clean.

George Foreman 18471 Four Portion Family Grill - Black