2.0 out of 5 stars Can anyone tell me why this book has such a cult status? You have to totally suspend disbelief to read this. But the sex is hot!, 8 Feb 2012
ROROBLU'S MUM "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cajun Hot (contemporary erotic romance) (Kindle Edition)
I'd read about this book a few years ago, before it was out in Kindle, and when it was out of print; a used copy was around twenty-three squid. People raved at the sex scenes on line in forums, including the MFM one, but I have to say, that despite liking Nikita Black/Nina Bruhns, I just found myself rolling my eyes at this. I found myself wondering if in modern-day USA, this Alice Down The Rabbit Hole version of Louisiana could exist. CONTAINS SPOILERS.

I downloaded it for free, very excited to finally get to read it, but if I had paid for this, I'd have been asking for my money back. OK, so maybe it is an early work of hers, before she changed names and went more mainstream, but this was so not a polished work. I'm surprised it was released without a re-read and without fixing the typos. I'm surprised she got the name of Lake Ponchartrain wrong - that is a major 'lazy/can't be bothered', which is kind of unforgiveable given that the tale is set in the Lousiana bayou, and the lake is so important locally. That aside, it was pseudo-OK, if you want it for the hot sex, and if you can ignore the frankly ridiculous bits - of which there are many...

It starts with Sahara, a freelance photographer, in the Louisiana Bayou, trying to take a picture of the Orchidus Clitorius variety of orchid - I kid you not. She overturns her pirogue and is rescued by Quinton and Jacque Cherchat, who invite her to Jacque's dilapidated bayou-side shack, where she showers. She seemingly does not notice her bathrobe falling more and more open, as she's in ecstasy over the gumbo that Jacque (aka Jack Kershaw, millionaire inventor of Cajun Hot Sauce) has cooked. The brothers make a move on her, and she's quite happy to go with the flow and to allow herself to be filled, whilst filling the time til the next bus, and just as Quinton is about to take her anally, his wife (who has been emailed by Jacque to come on over - why, I'm not sure), arrives and creates hell, dragging him off whilst he's trying get his pants back on. Hmmm...sexy, not!!

Anyway, Jacque and Sahara continue to get it on, after a token protest from her that he had been about to let his married brother have sex with her, but are interrupted and summoned to a community meeting. Apparently in the Louisiana of this tale, no-one knocks, no-one locks doors, and everyone sees everyone else naked without batting an eyelid. And Jacque cooks in the buff, aroused, without an apron - making his sauce. Health & Safety, hygiene be damned! I gagged thinking of unmentionables in the sauce...but maybe his own very special ingredients might have been the secret of his success!

Next, he and Sahara are in front of his voodoo priestess gran, who forces them to marry, as the messenger sent to get them confirmed they were having sex, and all agreed that Sahara had be-spoiled the innocent, virginal Jacque, and now had to marry him to save his virtue. Not only that, but said visitor and Quinton then strip her totally naked, whilst Jacque stands there doing nothing but agreeing to the wedding, which gets conducted by a regular priest. After quite some time having passed with her totally naked in front of some 200 people, it dawns on them that Sahara has nothing white to wear, so one 'guest' strips off her top and another her skirt, and hey presto, Sahara has a wedding outfit, and the 'guests' attend the wedding half naked. And again, no-one bats an eyelid...

Well, by then, I was wondering what version of this tale I had got, and if I was the only one who didn't find it weird and incredulous to the point of being nominated as a contender for the worst book/Razzies prize. And then came the oral sex scene, with him warning her that he'd been tasting his sauce and had garlic and chillies on his tongue and she might find it too spicy, as had many women before her...yuck!!!!

And then she escapes, is aided by some guys who take her to the bayou chief of police for safety, but the latter tells them she's not right in the head and hands her back to Jacque...and he chains her to the bed to stop her escaping...And then, she manages to chain his 'boy bits' and a few pages later, they're avowing love and talking of staying together for eternity...unbelievable. There is more to this tale, but it's even more unbelievable and I couldn't be bothered detailing it here.

So, I have to conclude that is the frankly hot, steamy, close-to-the-mark/close-to-the-point-of-being-non-consensual, many, many, many pages of sex that has made this cult. Yes, it was hot, but so OTT that there was no way I could take it seriously.

Yes, I did finish it, as by then, it was so bad that I was addicted, and yes, it did give me many laughs. Would I recommend it? YES!! For the number of LOL moments, though unintentional, that this ludicrous tale provided!!!!!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars cajun hot, 1 Nov 2012
This review is from: Cajun Hot (contemporary erotic romance) (Kindle Edition)
if you like a bit of fantasy and hot steamy sex and sexy men well this book is worth the read, story is ok but the characters and content makes it worth a read

3.0 out of 5 stars nice short story, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Cajun Hot (contemporary erotic romance) (Kindle Edition)
A strange story but had a nice ending. More could have been made of the characters and what happens next.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hot Hot Hot..., 21 Feb 2012
Mrs. S. M. Perry (warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cajun Hot (contemporary erotic romance) (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book. There were a few moments which made me say 'really? that happened?!' the most unbelieveable of which was the part with the chain but i wont spoil it for you! All in all it was a good story with alot of erotic moments and a nice guy who you end up hoping will get his way.