on 21 November 2014
Looking at the other reviews, I’m starting to think that I might be being overly harsh, or that there is another book out there that was better than the one I read.

The author is definitely adept at telling a story and the start of the novel well written and intriguing. The author even has some of the same eye for detail as the original Ian Fleming books. This one though is not one of the best. The plot is clumsy and even more unbelievable than we expect from the Bond series and the “twist” at the end of the story was telegraphed from the middle pages of the book. The only person not to spot it was Bond himself, although we're all fallible.

This is the first of the Bond books where I found myself exclaiming words and statements like “Really?”, “Yeah right!” and “Rubbish” and there was a real temptation to put the book down entirely.

I read it though, as it was part of the series but the plot, false twist and the crudeness introduced to capitalise on Bond’s reputation for sexual conquests spoilt it for me.

Hopefully the next one in the series is better.
on 27 September 2011
This has all the classic Bond ingredients, a good overall plot, excellent villian and henchmen, the correct amount of action and escaping death scenes. An early scene in which the villian punishes one of their henchmen for cowardice and failure is gripping (pun) and sets up how evil the villian is nicely. I just wish John Gardner had kept the villian for future plots but maybe that can get stale so fair enough. Overall I was very impressed with the first of John Gardner's books that I've read, I thought it much better than a Benson book.
on 1 October 2015
A cracking Bond adventure , usual mixture of outlandish villains , guns of all shapes and sizes , ghosts from Bond's past add problematic daughters , and read , inwardly digest , commit to memory. Enjoy.
on 3 November 2015
This was advertised as having the newer, collected edition cover. It does not. It has the older 80's jacket. Therefore it will not match with my other john gardner 007 books. Buyer beware of this.
on 9 February 2016
Bought as a present for an avid James Bond fan, who thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and could not put it down until finished.
on 10 August 2013
A GOOD STORY THAT I AM SURE MOST PEOPLE WILL ENJOY,I HAVE NO PROBLEM IN RECOMENDING TO ANYONE WHO ENJOYS A GOOD READ.
on 31 January 2015
This is the worst thriller I ever read. Totally implausible and boring. Look elsewhere for entertainment.
on 6 October 2014
A classic bond tale a little too much detail and a very quick ending, but still a very good read-
on 13 October 2012
John Gardner continues to re-invent James Bond for the 1980's, even having him drive a Saab, which is a little disappointing.
But whilst Gardner does this he does try his utmost to tie in this series of books with Fleming's original and in "For Special Services" case it's by having Bond fall in love with Felix Leiter's daughter (which seems a tad odd, but there you go) and the pair go off to investigate the possibility that SPECTRE has reformed and is ready to terrorise the World once again.
It's a pretty good effort at a James Bond book and moves at a quick pace meaning that some of the 'off-kilter' moments are quickly passed by.
The second of the James Bond authored John Gardner novels and one of the best of the sixteen in the series.
on 28 October 2015
Enjoyed this book thoroughly. Very Fleming-esque. You could imagine it as a feature film