5.0 out of 5 stars The Ride of Your Life
Published on 26 Nov 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Chaotic and unengaging
I had the greatest difficulty getting to the end of this book. In fact half way through I removed it from my Kindle, but later put it back again because I thought it can't really be that bad - but it was. The characters are charmless, the plot chaotic and seemingly random. When I got to the end, the main feeling I experienced was relief.

Which is odd, because I...
Published 21 months ago by Dipsophile

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ride of Your Life, 26 Nov 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Damaged (Paperback)
Simon Conway is an extraordinary new talent, and DAMAGED is simply the best thriller I've read for years. A labyrinthine plot unfolds an utterly compelling tale of loyalty, betrayal, love, violence, greed and - of course - damage. The settings are wonderfully fresh - a remote Scottish island, Eastern Europe, Belfast during the ceasefire - and the account of what skewed human motivation and desires can do to flawed individuals is powerfully conveyed. Plus it's a real thriller - a page-turner with real class and brains, and a visceral, palpable authenticity is all-pervasive. A talent to watch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Chaotic and unengaging, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: Damaged (Kindle Edition)

Which is odd, because I liked his other books. I believe this one was an early (first?) book, which may help explain why I found this one so unlike his other efforts.

Anyway, I'll buy his new ones as and when they come out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bright new star in the political/spy thriller firmament!!, 7 Jan 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Damaged (Paperback)
The dust jacket notes say "like Le Carre on acid" but this suggests a disjointed and unorganized piece of fiction, which this is decidedly not. It is a well-told story of love and violence on the micro and macro scales. Conway starts with a breakneck pace and the action is relentless. He knows his subject matter and he does good research. You will find here well drawn erotic scenes, graphic episodes of violence, amazing parties and an honest protagonist trying his best to understand a wild and unpredictable world of terrorists, assassins, drug deals, and human motivations working at cross-purposes. Conway's eye is highly skilled in his ability to draw scenes that put you into the action. I am looking forward to the movie (I hope somebody has cut a deal with him) and future work from this robust and intelligent author.

1.0 out of 5 stars Damaged - More like rubbish, 7 Nov 2003
This review is from: Damaged (Paperback)
Save your money and buy something else - If this book was any good why would it be out of print.
Not very well written - same old plot and rather disjointed

Damaged