5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you want to be there among the Olive Groves
Published on 20 Jun 2005 by BusyReader

3.0 out of 5 stars Crikey was I reading the same book!
Picked up this book to cheer myself up reading about others
living the good life in the sun but right from the start things
were going wrong for Carol. The olives were not fruiting
Michael was becoming strangely distant and unhappy.Drought conditions
were a worry. Forest fires were constantly
threatning the farm. A horrid car accident followed-...
Published on 2 Feb 2012 by Miss S. P. Wells

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you want to be there among the Olive Groves, 20 Jun 2005
BusyReader "mrs28" (Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Having read the two previous books I was eagerly awaiting a follow up and was pleased to find that this book was available just in time for my holiday! I find Carol Drinkwaters writing style to be easy to read and enthralling with beautifully written descriptions of the south of France, nature and life and its emotions. Carol and Michel have again returned to Appasionata, the Olive Farm that they have restored, and Carol is eager to continue production of the olives and attain their cerificate for producing Organic Oil. However their plans for an idyllic summer are thwarted by various events and it seems for a time that all is lost and cannot be regained. Old familiar characters like the dogs and Monsieur Q the gardener are present as are new friends like the apiarists (beekeepers) and the hunters with whom Carol spends an exhausting day hunting in the mountains (nearly killing herself into the bargain!) The ongoing saga of the Olive trees' life throughout the changing year within the changing landscape and the life and relationships affecting Carol make this a book which is compulsive reading , I found it difficult to put down and would certainly recommend it as holiday reading . It certainly makes you want to be there... to feel the fresh warm air , hear the bees, smell the scents and pollens and eat the lovely food that is produced!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 3 July 2009
I have loved all of Carol's books. I did not read them critically (I tend to skim read) as some reviewers did, I read them for pleasure and escapism. I do not rely on every word and incident being reproduced accurately.
All Carol's books have contained, what seemed to me to be, a very honest opening of her heart. She relates incidents that I would baulk at sharing with the world.
Too many books have been written about the foreign 'rural idyll', where disasters are turned into quirky, funny tales and the locals are curious but loveable characters. As someone who lives in Italy, I know the difficulties and downright slog involved in living in another culture. Carol shows that there are considerable downsides with creating a life overseas, showing a far more realistic way of living than is provided by the likes of Peter Mayle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Discovering olives!, 20 Sep 2007
I am just discovering these books. I started with The Olive Route which I thought was terrific and then I read this one. She writes so well that I feel as though I am there with her, sharing her stories, living the adventures. I can feel the Mediterranean from her descriptions and I thought this one was so sensitive too

3.0 out of 5 stars Crikey was I reading the same book!, 2 Feb 2012
Michael was becoming strangely distant and unhappy.Drought conditions
were a worry. Forest fires were constantly
threatning the farm. A horrid car accident followed- (beautifully described
by the way)
Michael was trying to leave and packing suitcases with a head
injury! Carol was left alone to struggle and went on her travels alone.
Phew, I felt quite stressed with it all and did not enjoy reading it.
She writes well but the subject matter was difficult.
Regards

4.0 out of 5 stars Olive Harvest, 6 July 2010
Enjoyed this book, a great holiday read for anyone interested in, true life stories
of Brits making the lifestyle change to living in a foreign country.
I have read 2 of the earlier books by Carol Drinkwater. Her style of writting
is most informative and imaginative.
One feels involved in her life story and I hope all goes well for her and Michel.
I will most certainley read any subsequent books on the same theme.

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, 9 Mar 2010
Janet Warren (South Wales) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed reading this set of books, i felt like i was there sharing those chores and the way of life. i was reluctant to let my wife read them ,i thought she would be packing her suitcase halfway through, and go there herself, as we both love France.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just delightful., 23 April 2010
I am totally hooked on Carol's books, she is a lovely writer, realy brings you right into the story, you want to be there. Have only just discovered these books and cant wait to get the next. She is a very brave lady, but then she is Irish!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
good read and speedy delivery

4.0 out of 5 stars The Olive Harvest, 3 May 2014
This book was bought as a present for a family member, who enjoys reading Carol Drinkwater books. The family member has enjoyed this book very much. She hasn't given details. Sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Olive Harvest (Kindle Edition)
Well written,informative,interesting book!!You feel as though you are travelling with her and in inspires you to want to follow in her footsteps...Highly recommended..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›