Oil

Very factual, succinct, and a great introduction to the industry. Recommended for those coming from outside the industry, or for those who are already there but need a broader outlook. If I was a manager I would make my staff read this book.
Published on 28 Sep 2011 by D. Blackman

3.0 out of 5 stars o.k.
Covers the history of oil, producers etc but I wouldn't class this as good for a beginners guide - it contains a lot of scientific words relating to geology etc so if you don't know them well it can quickly become dull.
Published 1 month ago by J. Norman

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect introduction for those needing a fast "in" to the industry, 28 Sep 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice reading, 9 Nov 2013
Please read this book if you interested in oil business.Highly recommended...good book . One of the best book to read when going into oil business or studies to improve

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction for someone who is not from the industry, 7 Oct 2013
I enjoyed reading this on my holiday. It is a "beginners guide" but pitched at the right level for someone with little prior knowledge of the industry.

4.0 out of 5 stars a beginners guide, 21 Feb 2013
Short and good guide to oil (hydrocarbons). Answers the questions; where it is found, how it's extracted, where and how much it's used, some history of oil and lots of nummbers about it(statistics). Book doesn't say lots about politics behind the oil decisions, so i will be loking for aditional book on this subject. All in all good, fact packed beginners guide.
m.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 24 Jan 2013
J. E. Morris (UK) - See all my reviews
Very compact and supplies all the basic information I needed to understand better the risks and rewards of possible oil inudstry investments. As others have commented, text style is sometimes cumbersome, but the subject matter is well put together and also entertains the reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction, 11 Aug 2012
This book gives a good all-round introduction, and are easily read and understood.The author does not make it more complicated than it is, but still covers the essentials.

3.0 out of 5 stars o.k., 19 July 2014
J. Norman (london) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 April 2009
DMJ MIAH (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The book is an informative guide to the oil industry, providing useful information for the novice to have a better understanding of the world of oil.
An Englishman in Riyadh
Beyond Oil: The View from Hubbert's Peak

3.0 out of 5 stars Requires an Advanced guide to Grammar!, 11 Oct 2011
This book is packed to the rafters with detail and information. However I would say it almost too detailed! Considering it is a 'beginner's' guide I would expect a comprehensive yet succinct level of information. Instead Smil litters every sentence with trivialities and caveats that interrupt the flow and only add confusion.
Furthermore, Smil's style of writing is by no means easy to digest. The standard of grammar and vocabulary is of a level way above that of the intended demographic. I am an engineer; I am not a poet laureate!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well lubricated, 10 Oct 2009
S. Flint (England) - See all my reviews
I have just read "Oil" by Vaclav Smil and can recommend it. Very factual and very objective. My only criticism was one failure of objectivity (on p 81) when he refers to "pleasant surprise" of discovery of more giant fields than anticipated. To me a potential disaster. We are using oil maybe a million times faster than it was formed or could ever be renewed. Already we are on the brink of disaster, having no means of controlling the carbon dioxide entering the atmospahere. Our only hope is to give up our addiction to oil. I do not welcome discovery of new fields. Think again, Vaclav!

Oil