on 5 January 2012
The best thing about this was the price.
I bought this thinking it would be a funny read, I found it a waste of time.I like a good anarchic book for a laugh and was very disappointed. This is a great idea for a book, but the poor choice of 'stories' was a let down.
Save your money for 'The ASBO Fairy Tales'. Much funnier!
on 20 January 2012
I bought this believing it was a more macabre form of the original fairy-tale compendium, which original versions of The Brothers' Grimm, and Hans Christian Andersen do so very well with some of their darker tales, what i got instead was something like a cross between Chuck Palahnuik and Enid Blyton, with neither of the best bits showing!
It tells "modern" horror tales in the upbeat snappily-paced language reserved for children's books written about islands and picnics...effectively delivering a remarkably creepy vibe.

I don't know, if you'll like it, but I feel you should know, it is not a clever, dark take on childlike (see Roald Dahl for that done brilliantly)- it is just an advertising gimmick for a poorly conceptualized series of shoddy stories.
on 29 December 2012
The stories in this book start off well and the first three were hilarious and actually had me laughing out loud but they lose some of their comic value as the book continues and so I found myself putting the book down or hurriedly finishing one short story to start the next in the hope that it would be an improvement. The stories themselves are still funny but they are overshadowed by the first story inparticular
on 15 August 2011
The tone is so good -understated and subtle not showy -allowing the twists, the shocks, and the evil fun to sneak up on you rather than 'showcasing' it. The characterisation is brilliantly economic -no need for descriptions of appearance -the dialogue allows the reader to create their own visual. Love the twist upon on a twist upon a twist layer cake built in "Your Upstairs Neighbours Kill People."

This would be a great movie - if the writer could entangle all the stories of the chapters 'Magnolia' style - I'd be first in line!
on 17 July 2011
If when asked; do you like children? your answer is, yes but I couldn't eat a whole one, then you will love these tales.
About half way through, I decided I would stop and do something...nope, couldn't stop. Whacky, hilarious,to the point and downright annoying ( as in, why didn't I think of this?) Believe me, you will never look at gravy in the same way again...ever!
My favourite? Think it has to be. 'I said not to touch that.' It's a joke...right?
Tell me where else you can have this much fun for under £[]?
on 11 April 2013
I only downloaded this because it was so cheap, but it did tickle my sense of humour. Can sympathise with some of the sentiments!